orlando

Old Nov 21st 2007, 10:34 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: orlando

Originally Posted by robert76
well i guess theres alway a catch

that interactive map makes for interesting readin although all the gun crime seems to happen in the same areas in orlando. pine hills etc i guess like any city a common sense approach should keep ya out of trouble
Figures for Orlando are massaged to ensure no bad press that the tourist will see....
Old Nov 21st 2007, 11:02 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tetleystea
There is a Forum called - http://www.***********.org/forum - it's mainly about immigration - however, it is based in Orlando and most of the posters are Brits and a lot of the posters live in and around Orlando. They have a monthly meeting so would probably be a good place to get advice and meet other Brits.

Good luck in your new life.

Oh - aren't we allowed to post websites. Please PM me if you want to know the web address.
...and what's wrong with the Usenet immigration forums?
Old Nov 21st 2007, 11:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
...and what's wrong with the Usenet immigration forums?
??

I must be the only person who doesn't know what forum that link is going to...
Old Nov 21st 2007, 11:29 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
??

I must be the only person who doesn't know what forum that link is going to...
I wil explain it later
Old Nov 21st 2007, 11:42 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I wil explain it later
Your old one Ray?

Whorelando another sacrifice to the house of mouse
I live a similar distance from the hell hole as Ray way too close
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:02 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I wil explain it later
Oh thaaaaat.
Just wonder what it has to do with Usenet.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 3:37 am
Banned

ImAFool is just really niceImAFool is just really niceImAFool is just really niceImAFool is just really niceImAFool is just really niceImAFool is just really niceImAFool is just really niceImAFool is just really nice

You are in for a terrific culture shock my friend.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 3:45 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Made the top 15 crime stats
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 1:34 am
Just Joined

dip your toe is an unknown quantity at this point

hi folks

decision is made off to orlando in dec

in the process of organising a place. renting seems the way to go and from my initial enquires having no job/credit rating doesnt seem to be a problem providing your willing to commit to a year. looking at lake mary area anyone got any opinions etc? any good pint bars in that neck of the woods? i know its a long shot but anyone on here know if theres any local rogby clubs in the orlando area?

Brought my kids up in Lake Mary. Good schools, and far enough away from the tourist area to avoid the mouse. Kids have now left the nest so I moved to the country as I didn't have to worry about school districts. I'd recommend renting until you get a good feel for the area.

Rugby, one club in Orlando ( there used to be two ). Standard is pretty low but fun. Hardest part is getting the yanks to carry on playing once they've been tackled. It's an NFL mentality. Also away games take up the whole day and sometimes the whole w/e. due to the distances.

Local pubs, a new place called Jacks, with 60+ beers on draught. A Brit pub in nearby Altamonte Springs called the St. Andrews , passable - just. An Irish bar in nearby Sanford called the Speckled Hen, which I need to visit.

Hope this helps, more info if needed.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

... ive decided to go figure i can always come back to this if things dont work out....
Just a thought ... if you really want to make a go of it, try to get used to the place for what it is, not what it is not. If you seek out british pubs, british beers, british sports, etc, you'll find yourself crying in your warm beer with a bunch of other brit's about how everything is 'not like it is back home'.

When I first came here, I did the same thing - went looking for the pubs, the warm draught beer, the footy matches, the fish and chips ... when I was surrounded by new and exciting things, and a whole different way of life and quite different people. I got fed up with hearing how everything was 'wrong' with the place, yet the people never seemed to do the obvious - go back home!

I bumped into a bunch of brits while on vacation in Rome recently. While surrounded by the best restaurants in the world, and fascinating cafes, they asked me if I knew of any 'pubs' ... they'd only been there a couple of days but were already looking for pubs ... to each his own!
Old Nov 30th 2007, 12:36 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

Forget hoity toity Lake Mary/heathrow-over priced and over rated. working in Lake mary all you see are posers in their BMWs and Benz's and Hummers driving around paying for overpriced food in fancy restaurants.

No my friend, move to Oviedo in Seminole county-away from the hustle and bustle (and crime) of Orlando and a nice quiet, community just 20 min drive to O town ! and on the edge of development-next to us is the Eckon state parks.

See you soon !
Old Nov 30th 2007, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

i know every city has its good and bad but what i would like is

hot weather
access to sea/lakes for boating
plenty of active things to do(get enough culture at home)
good nite life
low cost of living
nice place for the family and friends to visit with loads of things for them to do when they getting on my nerves
low crime
job opps

orlando seems to tick the boxes bar the last two but you cant have everything. san diego was running a close second but the cost of living is huge and its a fair haul to get to.

robert
You can't have everything, but if you can't find the last one, methinks you might not be living there long.......

Last edited by Dan725; Nov 30th 2007 at 2:01 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

scatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I think it's just that website -- yes I know which one it is. Full of British Daily Mail readers worshiping Enoch Powell from Florida on E-2 visas as far as I can see.
Think you will find there is much more to it than just that.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Sharlene will become famous soon enough

hi folks

decision is made off to orlando in dec

in the process of organising a place. renting seems the way to go and from my initial enquires having no job/credit rating doesnt seem to be a problem providing your willing to commit to a year. looking at lake mary area anyone got any opinions etc? any good pint bars in that neck of the woods? i know its a long shot but anyone on here know if theres any local rogby clubs in the orlando area?

Most of the British pubs are near International Drive area and tons in Kissimmee. The thing about O-town besides its lack of culture; its very spread out so you have to drive. Be sure to check out the Cricketer's Arms in the Mercado on I-drive. I lived in Orlando for 25 years before moving to Palm Beach where we have tons of culture but not many pubs. Good luck!!!
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sharlene
Most of the British pubs are near International Drive area and tons in Kissimmee. The thing about O-town besides its lack of culture; its very spread out so you have to drive. Be sure to check out the Cricketer's Arms in the Mercado on I-drive. I lived in Orlando for 25 years before moving to Palm Beach where we have tons of culture but not many pubs. Good luck!!!
Theres a lot of dross on I-drive and Kissimmee. You might as well be in Marbella. Had the misfortune of staying there a year ago (for a local friends stag night, no less), and thought we'd go and try one of the many Brit style fy-ups in the morning. Big mistake that was - couple of anemic bits of bacon, about two baked beans and salmonella type egg -- very poor rendition of the real deal, would rather have been in Dennys any day.

I live about the same distance away and share the same views on Orlando as Ray and Thydney. Union jack short wearing 18-30 to Ibiza club just does not do it for me.

Last edited by Dan725; Dec 2nd 2007 at 10:06 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.