Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Original I-797

Original I-797

Old Apr 11th 2002, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

angusgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Original I-797

I was approved from Nebraska on 5th March and have sent the pkt three forms into the London Consulate which they have got but they haven't received anything from Nebraska.

I phoned the Consulate this evening and was told that they usually receive the approved petitions within 4 weeks and since they don't have mine i should send them the original I-797. I questioned this as I know you need the original for the AOS interview but she didn't know anything about this and just restated that I needed to send them the original.

Given that every time I have phoned the Consulate I have been given contradictory information, I am loathed to send this important document on her advice, especially as she seems clueless to the process. However, I really do not want to sit around and hope that it hasn't got lost.

Can I definitely get another official copy of the I-797 from Nebraska in the future or should I wait a bit longer?

Thanks
Old Apr 11th 2002, 7:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Original I-797

I've seen this before with the US Consulate in London. Send them the original to them (retain several copies for yourself) and a copy to your fiancee. At the time of the interview have your fiancee INSIST on exchanging the original for a copy. Have her bring a copy of the I-485 instruction sheet with the necessity of the I-797 highlighted to show them
Old Apr 12th 2002, 8:32 am
Just Joined

angusgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Original I-797

Thanks Rete, I think that is what I'm going to do although I phoned up again this morning to check that they hadn't received the approval from Nebraska as I saw that Qwickhog's fiance had got an interview date and they were approved from Nebraska on the same day as us.

This time I was told that I only needed a photocopy but the woman really did not know anything about the K-1 process.

I am really sick of this! Why, when I'm paying £1.50/min for the privilege, am I not able to speak to someone who knows what is going on?