Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Oregon's healthcare lottery

Oregon's healthcare lottery

Old Apr 3rd 2008, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oregon's healthcare lottery

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yeah, protecting ME from having to get out in the nasty weather to get nasty fuel all over my hands or general persona. Yeah, I hate that all right. And considering that our fuel prices are similar to other states, well, I don't see the harm in the no-self-serve policy!
Um, maybe the consumer should have a choice as to whether they wish to pay someone to fill their gas? And if someone wants to fill their own and not wait for someone to do it for them, why shouldn't they?
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 6:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Um, maybe the consumer should have a choice as to whether they wish to pay someone to fill their gas? And if someone wants to fill their own and not wait for someone to do it for them, why shouldn't they?
Drop by some summer vacation.. you'll have your answers.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

No kidding....I love it, every time we go down to the coast.....
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

No need.. I know Oregon very well as I had a daughter go to college there. And when I tried to fill up my own vehicle, you'd have thought I'd just murdered someone. Strange how in 48 other states people manage to be able to choose to fill gas themselves or get someone to do it for them, but in Oregon the state deprives one of that choice.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Apr 3rd 2008 at 6:40 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 7:44 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Strange how in 48 other states people manage to be able to choose to fill gas themselves or get someone to do it for them, but in Oregon the state deprives one of that choice.
Well, like the sales tax, the people have also voted on this issue. It keeps getting turned down. Price comparisons consistently show that our prices are no higher for it, and I've never had to wait for service, so I don't have a problem with it myself.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, like the sales tax, the people have also voted on this issue. It keeps getting turned down. Price comparisons consistently show that our prices are no higher for it, and I've never had to wait for service, so I don't have a problem with it myself.
According to this, it was voted on in... 1982, i.e over a quarter of a century ago:

http://americanphoenix.net/category/...n-for-dummies/
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 11:30 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Price comparisons consistently show that our prices are no higher for it, and I've never had to wait for service, so
Could I introduce you to the gas consultants who work for Fred Meyer on 82nd/Johnson Creek then. They are some of the slowest in the State, very friendly but slow.

I have no problem with not having self service by the way.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 11:39 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

According to this, it was voted on in... 1982, i.e over a quarter of a century ago:

Well what can you say it was written by a Californian. Far too many of those already in Oregon thinking their ways are the best and trying to ruin our State. We do it our way because we like it.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 12:28 am

And it's frequently discussed, and the legislature brings it up every now and again and there is much citizen feedback and plenty of local fora where the issues is raised etc ad nauseum.
I don't want to argue over it; if you feel that strongly about it you should not live here or New Jersey.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by lansbury
Could I introduce you to the gas consultants who work for Fred Meyer on 82nd/Johnson Creek then. They are some of the slowest in the State, very friendly but slow.

I have no problem with not having self service by the way.
<koff> You didn't say anything about going out the the *country*.

lol, anyway, Freds.. I wonder what division the gas guys work under and if they're union.. hmmm.
Fred's is famous for its internal 3 letter department abbreviations: CCK, GRO, HBA, NFC etc. I guess the fuel department would have to be.. GAS.

What is their price running, btw? It would be miles for me to go, but DT beaerton yesterday was 3.37, same as my brand-name budget-price joint up here in the city.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lansbury
Well what can you say it was written by a Californian. Far too many of those already in Oregon thinking their ways are the best and trying to ruin our State. We do it our way because we like it.
I guess this prohibition on pumping one's own gas must be pretty common outside of California then
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:23 am

What is their price running, btw? It would be miles for me to go, but DT beaerton yesterday was 3.37, same as my brand-name budget-price joint up here in the city.
3.33 less 10 cents with their shoppers card
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:55 am
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

So what happens if you only get 5 numbers plus the bonus ball?