British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Oregon's healthcare lottery (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/oregons-healthcare-lottery-526184/)

MsElui Apr 2nd 2008 2:48 am

Oregon's healthcare lottery

omg how dire does it have to get!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7321500.stm

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 2nd 2008 6:38 am

Re: Oregon's healthcare lottery

Daily Show covered this tonight, excellent.

sime303 Apr 2nd 2008 6:41 am

Greatest healthcare system in the world or so I am informed by Sean Hannity.

meauxna Apr 2nd 2008 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 6145978)
Daily Show covered this tonight, excellent.

Darn, I wish I had seen that..

The story is of course missing a lot of context, but yeah, sucks to be us, huh?
Now, the victory *could* be that Oregon has a plan like this at all.. very few states do.
This is a limited-resource pool that you can apply to join, and you get 'insurance' at a very reduced cost. Mind you, the services are also severely limited but are better than nothing.

A friend of mine, very low income due to health conditions making her virtually unemployable (lifelong diabetic + heart defect), was kicked off the Plan several years ago because her mother gave her a $1000 gift at Xmas. Declaring that put her over the income limit. :(
I wanted to apply for the Oregon Health Plan myself, but I couldn't see me taking a place from someone like my friend Carol (above).

Then they closed the plan to new members for several years--they only have a limited amount of $$. Member loss through attrition (heck, maybe they died off because the service was so bad, I don't know) has finally allowed them to open up 3000 spots, but as you see in the story, 90,000 applied. They'll be adding in monthly chunks of 3000 until the plan is full again.

sime303--can you explain that Hannity comment? He said that about Oregon's plan???

lansbury Apr 2nd 2008 5:17 pm

meauxna - don't forget the Oregon Medical Pool as well which provides health insurance cover for those that can pay but who the big companies refuse to cover. My wife is diabetic and was refused cover but is in the Oregon Medical Pool.

Bearing in mind how small the population of Oregon is we do a lot more than most others to provide health care to those who elsewhere wouldn't get anything at all. All we need now is for the legislator to fund the health care for all children.

sime303 Apr 2nd 2008 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 6148468)
Darn, I wish I had seen that..

The story is of course missing a lot of context, but yeah, sucks to be us, huh?
Now, the victory *could* be that Oregon has a plan like this at all.. very few states do.
This is a limited-resource pool that you can apply to join, and you get 'insurance' at a very reduced cost. Mind you, the services are also severely limited but are better than nothing.

A friend of mine, very low income due to health conditions making her virtually unemployable (lifelong diabetic + heart defect), was kicked off the Plan several years ago because her mother gave her a $1000 gift at Xmas. Declaring that put her over the income limit. :(
I wanted to apply for the Oregon Health Plan myself, but I couldn't see me taking a place from someone like my friend Carol (above).

Then they closed the plan to new members for several years--they only have a limited amount of $$. Member loss through attrition (heck, maybe they died off because the service was so bad, I don't know) has finally allowed them to open up 3000 spots, but as you see in the story, 90,000 applied. They'll be adding in monthly chunks of 3000 until the plan is full again.

sime303--can you explain that Hannity comment? He said that about Oregon's plan???

Sorry it was just a flippant remark. No Sean Hannity is always talking about the US healthcare system in general. I have heard him say countless times that this is the greatest healthcare system in the world.

Manc Apr 2nd 2008 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by sime303 (Post 6148643)
Sorry it was just a flippant remark. No Sean Hannity is always talking about the US healthcare system in general. I have heard him say countless times that this is the greatest healthcare system in the world.

The USA medical system is just fantastic, the BEST bar none in the world.

however it means diddly squat when we can't afford it.

Elvira Apr 3rd 2008 12:02 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 6148594)
meauxna - don't forget the Oregon Medical Pool as well which provides health insurance cover for those that can pay but who the big companies refuse to cover. My wife is diabetic and was refused cover but is in the Oregon Medical Pool.

Bearing in mind how small the population of Oregon is we do a lot more than most others to provide health care to those who elsewhere wouldn't get anything at all. All we need now is for the legislator to fund the health care for all children.

Gosh - that WOULD be revolutionary!!!

Maybe move into the 20th century next...

meauxna Apr 3rd 2008 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 6150502)

Maybe move into the 20th century next...

What.. you're saying we could trade up the covered wagon for something else???
'Cause those oxen are eating me out of house and homestead.
(can't believe you never answered my Brigitte Nielsen post!)

Cheers for the reminder, lansbury. It's true, we don't hear as much about that program. I'm surprised that your wife couldn't get continuing coverage. I know, I shouldn't be.
The governor is bringin the children's cover back to the table, but people are already screaming at the legislature saying that the people's vote on Measure 50 answered this, but I'm sure you're learning some of the downfalls of the petitioning process. I wouldn't give it up, but it is problematic when outsiders get involved.

sime303, I didn't think Hannity would have anything positive to say about Oregon specifically. We're not exactly his 'base'.

Say what you will, but the states are going to have to try if the Feds won't.
And don't forget, you all have Oregon to thank for those nickel deposits on cans and bottles. :)

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 3rd 2008 1:36 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 6150683)
Say what you will, but the states are going to have to try if the Feds won't.

And don't forget, you all have Oregon to thank for those nickel deposits on cans and bottles. :)

Some States, but all the ones I know are so short of cash that the current arrangements are being cut back.

No deposits here.

But on the Children issue, my inherited family are on programs, and I am no expert, but Children seem to get cover one way or the other. Adults are the ones with probems.

There was a similar question about coering Childen in CO, but I could never work out which children.

Giantaxe Apr 3rd 2008 3:30 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 6150683)

But can you pump your own gas yet?.... now there's a protectionist law if ever there was one.

farmerwife Apr 3rd 2008 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 6151026)
But can you pump your own gas yet?.... now there's a protectionist law if ever there was one.

Hey - I'm not complaining! OR gas is more $$$, but they say it is due to lack of refineries near.

meauxna Apr 3rd 2008 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 6150728)
No deposits here.

No bottle bill in CO? That surprises me; Oregon and Colorado seem to be joined by some invisible umbilicus. People drift between them like they are one and the same...

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 6151026)

Yeah, protecting ME from having to get out in the nasty weather to get nasty fuel all over my hands or general persona. Yeah, I hate that all right. And considering that our fuel prices are similar to other states, well, I don't see the harm in the no-self-serve policy!

HoosierDaddy Apr 3rd 2008 5:44 pm

It's actually more of a raffle than a lottery....

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 3rd 2008 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 6154101)
No bottle bill in CO? That surprises me; Oregon and Colorado seem to be joined by some invisible umbilicus. People drift between them like they are one and the same...

Yeah, protecting ME from having to get out in the nasty weather to get nasty fuel all over my hands or general persona. Yeah, I hate that all right. And considering that our fuel prices are similar to other states, well, I don't see the harm in the no-self-serve policy!

CO is big, perhaps Boulder, but there are plenty of other places outisde the People's Republic. Some OK recycling, some none at all. Lot's in between.

But back on subject, as far as children is concerned, where is the 'gap' I here about. I have asked around but for children, it does not sound an issue.