Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Order of priorities

Order of priorities

Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Order of priorities

Originally Posted by Volt61
Wow, although I don't know exacly where you've rented, I am sure you could have got a better deal than that. Maybe several hundred $ less (even in Raleigh).
He will have to pay a lot more than that in Calabasas, though.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

IanH88 has a spectacular aura aboutIanH88 has a spectacular aura aboutIanH88 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Volt61
Have you visited LA before and are you familiar with it?
Do you know which area you want to live in already?

If you can't afford to do a reconnaissance trip before you emigrate, my advice would be to rent a home for about 6 months (not an apartment if you can avoid it), until you do become familiar with everything.

Buying now may end up being a terrible decision if you end up with the wrong area/neighborhood/type and size of house, distance to jobs, etc.
We are going to live in Calabasas and have already done a couple of trips, we've zeroed in on specific schools and visited them as well.

I've also spent a LOT of time in the area over the past 15 years and already know it very well. I'm unfortunately already familiar with sitting on the 405 for an hour or so and going absolutely nowhere!

We'll be renting initially, mainly because the lack of credit history will stop us buying.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Vinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really niceVinnyvagus is just really nice

I recommend these. They have helpdes so much and for a 1 year fee of $400. They have helped with insurance, renters insurance, credit card, roadside recovery, car lease (and one that does not tie you into say a 36 month or limit you to mileage!!)..etc.. all without an US credit history.

http://assist.travelguardworldwide.c...61_254926.html
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IanH88
So....this is me thinking out loud a little, so bear with me

I'm trying to determine a list of priorities for mine and my families upcoming move to LA (target date July 1st) and due to about a million things going on in my head at the moment, I can't seem to string together a coherant order in which to approach things, nor assign a rough timeline that I should be following.

So, esteemed forum members, please help me to figure this list out in some rough order (please consider that I have terrible OCD and therefore probably have stuff on here that's WAY down the line!!! )

1. House hunting - will be living in Calabasas, renting for the first 12 months at least.
2. Visa Application - L1 visa....initial enquiries are made, application will be going in on March 1st with premium processing as I need to go backwards and forwards to LA between now and July 1st for work.
3. Removal companies and quotes - when do I engage their services and how early should I consider shipping?
4. School enrolment for kids
5. Opening a bank account in the US (I can use my office address I think?)
6. Starting green card application process - the company have agreed to fully sponsor this
7. What major stuff is missing!
Make sure your kids are up to date, with state injections, I have already contacted what will be my daughters school when we move to CA and the lady there told me that I need my daughers immunisations updated in order for her to be enrolled.
p.s if the company you work for have already agreed GC sponsor, why do you not just do i-140 consular processing? (just a thought)

Last edited by goldenstate31; Feb 2nd 2011 at 1:52 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

IanH88 has a spectacular aura aboutIanH88 has a spectacular aura aboutIanH88 has a spectacular aura about

So....update on progress;

Kids have started a course of immunizations to get them up to standard for Californian requirements

Company will submit the petition for my L1A visa on March 7th (when I get back from the US) on premium processing

Had a real stroke of luck...I visited Citibank due to them being the bank used by the company I will be running and due to our account being one of the largest that the individual branch handles, they rolled out the red carpet and could not do enough for me.

Was immediately given a Citigold account with all fees etc waived and they even offered to assist with mortgages etc and said that in certain circumstances they could take into account previous credit history in the UK. This was without a US address or SSN...the whole process took all of 10 minutes!!

They would not be my first bank of choice, but beggars can't be choosers!

Have two moving companies coming to give me quotes in the next couple of weeks and will likely be shipping a 20ft container and then some additional items via air freight.

Overall....most things are heading in the right direction, just would like to have the visa issue finalised so I can stop worrying!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

CaledonCaliforn will become famous soon enoughCaledonCaliforn will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by IanH88
So....update on progress;

Kids have started a course of immunizations to get them up to standard for Californian requirements

Company will submit the petition for my L1A visa on March 7th (when I get back from the US) on premium processing

Had a real stroke of luck...I visited Citibank due to them being the bank used by the company I will be running and due to our account being one of the largest that the individual branch handles, they rolled out the red carpet and could not do enough for me.

Was immediately given a Citigold account with all fees etc waived and they even offered to assist with mortgages etc and said that in certain circumstances they could take into account previous credit history in the UK. This was without a US address or SSN...the whole process took all of 10 minutes!!

They would not be my first bank of choice, but beggars can't be choosers!

Have two moving companies coming to give me quotes in the next couple of weeks and will likely be shipping a 20ft container and then some additional items via air freight.

Overall....most things are heading in the right direction, just would like to have the visa issue finalised so I can stop worrying!

I'm in Topanga and know Calabasas very well. I see from your previous posts that you are looking at Bay Laurel and AC Stelle for your kids. I'd just pass along that A.E. Wright is also a good middle school option, as it feeds into both Calabasas High and Agoura High. (Agoura High is generally perceived as better.) If you have a 13-year-old, high school is barrelling up!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaledonCaliforn
I'm in Topanga and know Calabasas very well. I see from your previous posts that you are looking at Bay Laurel and AC Stelle for your kids. I'd just pass along that A.E. Wright is also a good middle school option, as it feeds into both Calabasas High and Agoura High. (Agoura High is generally perceived as better.) If you have a 13-year-old, high school is barrelling up!
Your high school is generally determined by where you live, I don't think going to AE Wright will make any difference. He could request for his child to go to Agoura anyway if he wanted to (I think the main attraction for people is that they have a slightly better football team). My son went to AE Wright and my daughter went to AC Stelle.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

CaledonCaliforn will become famous soon enoughCaledonCaliforn will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My son went to AE Wright and my daughter went to AC Stelle.
And would you make a recommendation based on your experience of the two?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CaledonCaliforn
And would you make a recommendation based on your experience of the two?
AC Stelle is newer (opened 2004), my impression is that by and large the pick of the staff went there. Stelle also doesn't have to budget so much for building repairs/maintenance and could use more for other things.