Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Orange County, Ca - Schooling

Orange County, Ca - Schooling

Old Mar 23rd 2017, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of
Default Re: Orange County, Ca - Schooling

You're welcome! I have daughters in 10th and 8th and I feel as if it has been drummed into me never mind them . I noticed on your link that it specifies that those on non-immigrant visas don't qualify for california residency status. I wonder how many people who have lived here for years realise that. When I was in Florida we still got resident rates as long as we met the other residency requirements. My kids don't even get any discount etc, despite my husband working for the University of California
Old Mar 24th 2017, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vtg
Surprisingly, I also found the housing prices in Santa Ana (360,800) and Westminter (470,400) are much cheaper,

As you mentioned traffic is bad, is it safe for the kids to use bicycle going to school in Irvine?
Not a surprise to any of us who live in OC. Santa Ana's not where you want to be, or parts of Anaheim. Neither are great areas. We're in Anaheim Hills which is part of Anaheim but geographically and socially apart with nicer schools. There seem to be a lot of people focus in on Irvine when asking about places to live in OC but it is a bit sterile. Tustin, Anaheim Hills, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo etc are all worth looking at.

And I wouldn't let my kids ride bikes anywhere. Especially in Irvine. Someone earlier commented on the demographics of Irvine and the driving skills in that area are somewhat related to that.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 4:39 am
vtg
Just Joined

vtg is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, I don't know about Santa Ana is that bad, definitely I will take a look around the region, it’s not a good idea to make decisions for the family settlement if we never come and see by our own eyes. However, I think the first few months we will rent a house or condo to have a real recognition on where we will spend our next chapter of lifetime. My wife does not drive so we need to search for the place where we could walk or take the bus for shopping/schooling.

The admission to the UC is tough but it’s good to know the requirement from early time, thanks Wibblypig for the link and everbody for sharing your experience in OC. There are tons of questions and worries everytime we move to a new place. Hope everything will be ironed out, sooner or later.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

karispirit is an unknown quantity at this point

We are moving to Irvine or Mission Viejo in the next three months. Have a son who will be attending college and then onto UCI. Like others have said. Santa Ana isn't a good place to move to. Best to stick to the areas others have mentioned.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 8:59 am
vtg
Just Joined

vtg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by karispirit
We are moving to Irvine or Mission Viejo in the next three months. Have a son who will be attending college and then onto UCI. Like others have said. Santa Ana isn't a good place to move to. Best to stick to the areas others have mentioned.
Appreciate if you could share your opinions after moving to Irvine/Mission Viejo. My plan may change to next year due to some personal matters.