Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Orange County, Anyone there?

Orange County, Anyone there?

Old Feb 22nd 2007, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orange County, Anyone there?

Originally Posted by nethead
And by the way my husband is American and wears his England shirt with pride, and is as far from a 'chav' as you can get.
So dose my USC OH
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cabritpop
Where at? I have lived in Anaheim, Orange, R.S.M. and Lake Forest.
That's funny - believe it or not - Lake Forest!!!
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 10:00 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cybersecretary
Anyhow, husband is going for a job in Orange County (California) and although I have heard of the area, I know nothing about it in any depth to be able to know where is a good area (or not good area) to live in, what are the schools like (probably very variable too) we have 2 children aged 7 and 4. Ideally I would like to be in a more countryfied area or at least a suburb with some sort of open green village like feel to it. if anyone knows of any property websites I could use that would be great. I am assuming we will rent to start off with as we will keep our house in the UK and rent that out too. No idea of budget as yet, but would as a minimum need a 4 bed house and a garden is a must. All sensible suggestions welcome!
Ok, tell us the city in OC where the job is, tell us how much rent you can afford (monthly) just the rent not the bills. When you say 'Garden' do you mean a piece of grass say 6'x10'? I hope you do.

http://www.ocregister.com

That's the local paper. I just checked, there are only 3 houses for rent in OC none of them 4 bed. Even though millions live in OC it is pretty hard to find a rental, even in a bad area. You may be like many people, looking to move outside OC and commute in (2hr or more) drive for many. Oh, one more thing do you have a dog?
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by limeynus
That's funny - believe it or not - Lake Forest!!!
Well, I left over a year ago, if I'd have known we could have gone for a pint. We may be moving back there one day who knows, I could get my old job back too.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 6:26 am
Just Joined

bodypilot will become famous soon enoughbodypilot will become famous soon enough

Anyhow, husband is going for a job in Orange County (California) and although I have heard of the area, I know nothing about it in any depth to be able to know where is a good area (or not good area) to live in, what are the schools like (probably very variable too) we have 2 children aged 7 and 4. Ideally I would like to be in a more countryfied area or at least a suburb with some sort of open green village like feel to it. if anyone knows of any property websites I could use that would be great. I am assuming we will rent to start off with as we will keep our house in the UK and rent that out too. No idea of budget as yet, but would as a minimum need a 4 bed house and a garden is a must. All sensible suggestions welcome!
In my opinion there is no question - check out Irvine. Amazing schools, green spaces, clean, 15 mins to beach. Look to Woodbridge, Woodberry, Westpark, Turtle Ridge etc for nice rentals. Such a nice part of OC compared to everywhere else. Get in contact if you want to tour around!!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 1:22 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cabritpop
Ok, tell us the city in OC where the job is, tell us how much rent you can afford (monthly) just the rent not the bills. When you say 'Garden' do you mean a piece of grass say 6'x10'? I hope you do.

http://www.ocregister.com

That's the local paper. I just checked, there are only 3 houses for rent in OC none of them 4 bed. Even though millions live in OC it is pretty hard to find a rental, even in a bad area. You may be like many people, looking to move outside OC and commute in (2hr or more) drive for many. Oh, one more thing do you have a dog?
Hi cabritpop: no dogs. Thanks for the link - I will look at it later.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 3:14 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bodypilot. thanks for the location information. i will check it all out on google earth.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 3:22 am
Just Joined

bodypilot will become famous soon enoughbodypilot will become famous soon enough

Hi Bodypilot. thanks for the location information. i will check it all out on google earth.
The names I gave you probably won't work in Google as they are names of comunities given by the developers and not official town or city names.

I would highly recomend that you rent for a while to get a chance to learn where you like. The Irvine Company generally offers very nice places with great customer service but are not the cheapest. http://www.irvinecompany.com/OrangeCounty_Apt.asp

The places I know well are Newport Bluffs (great especially for kids), Turtle Ridge, Woodberry and Shady Oaks (can't remember exact name). All are nicely designed new / clean with few if any problems.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 11:01 am
In Orange County, CA.

Smile Re: Orange County, Anyone there?

thanks bodypilot. I will definately check these and similar ones - this looks like a really good basis on which to start. Rental will definately be something we would do to start off with until we determine areas - all dependent upon whether he gets the job of course - all scary stuff! anyone with any other house rental websites, much welcomed.