British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Options for shipping smaller quantities to US 10-20% of a container (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/options-shipping-smaller-quantities-us-10-20%25-container-849884/)

texasbound Jan 2nd 2015 11:20 pm

Options for shipping smaller quantities to US 10-20% of a container

All

With the agreed Card we have decided to sell up in the UK and make life in the US. Now originally we kept our house in the UK and did not ship things like books (we have a large collection) and a few other things. All in all it's probably about undr 25% of a container and maybe less.

Any great options for shipping it over as cheaply as possible. Will get a quote from Pickfords but think that's going to be £3k plus

Thanks in advance

BunnyGirl Jan 3rd 2015 12:40 am

Re: Options for shipping smaller quantities to US 10-20% of a container

Originally Posted by texasbound (Post 11519935)
All

With the agreed Card we have decided to sell up in the UK and make life in the US. Now originally we kept our house in the UK and did not ship things like books (we have a large collection) and a few other things. All in all it's probably about undr 25% of a container and maybe less.

Any great options for shipping it over as cheaply as possible. Will get a quote from Pickfords but think that's going to be £3k plus

Thanks in advance

I used Excess International. TBH the admin side of things was a complete farce BUT all my stuff got here in one piece... They charged me £900 for 90 cubic feet.

Pulaski Jan 3rd 2015 1:15 am

When we shipped most of our stuff we had about 90% of a 20ft (half) container. The balance of the space in "our" container was taken up with IIRC the combined boxes/ cartons/ bags of eight other people, so each had an average of just about 15 cuft each, or eight medium sized boxes. ...... We used Allfreight International Removals Ltd. 52-54, Hamm Moor Lane, Addlestone, Surrey, KT15 2SD. Tel: 01932 825590. They cover London and the South East of England.

After my father died we shipped half a dozen trunks with a similar removal/ shipping company, though I don't recall who it was with, but because my father lived in Gloucester I know it wasn't with Allfreight.

texasbound Jan 4th 2015 5:49 pm

Thanks all, I will tala a look. I think I know the final list of things that need to be shipped before we sell

Hotscot Jan 4th 2015 6:14 pm

With the agreed Card

:confused:

BunnyGirl Jan 4th 2015 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11521660)
:confused:

Check his past posts, he means his green card was approved.

Hotscot Jan 4th 2015 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl (Post 11521664)
Check his past posts, he means his green card was approved.

Oh right...

Ozzidoc Jan 5th 2015 2:35 am

Airfreight might be an option.

Shipping Via Airfreight : British Expat Wiki

kirstyp Jan 5th 2015 11:17 am

All

Thanks in advance

Ask International Removal companies about shared load/groupage services.

This is where you only pay for the space you use and share the container with other customers moving to the same destination. Here's an explanation of the options... http://britishexpats.com/forum/overs...movals-783380/

Pulaski Jan 5th 2015 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 11522021)
Airfreight might be option. .....

Now that I think about it, the small shipment after my father died, that I referred to above, was an airfreight shipment. Although it contained some relatively heavy things like tools, the cost of airfreight was quite competitive with surface shipment in a shared container, and obviously a lot quicker.