British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Options for mail forwarding to US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/options-mail-forwarding-us-628816/)

ri_mischief Sep 2nd 2009 4:59 pm

Options for mail forwarding to US

Hi All

Hoping someone can help....I've just sold my house in the UK (having been in the US for a few years). Up to now I've had a mail re-direct on from my old address for bank statements, credit cards etc....

Now the house is sold I can't really carry on with this so I think I have three options:

1. Transfer all stuff to parents address (don't really want to do this)
2. Get a paid uk mailing address - my.uk.mail.com came up on a google search - anyone got any experience
3. Change my address with the bank to the US address - is this going to freak them out as I have balances on the credit cards and a loan outstanding.

Just to let you'all know - no intention of trying to evade these debts - they will get paid off (bad experience with b******d ex husband caused them to be built up). I just don't want the best and easiest solution to this.

Help appreciated!

cranston Sep 2nd 2009 5:15 pm

Re: Options for mail forwarding to US

Originally Posted by ri_mischief (Post 7897621)
2. Get a paid uk mailing address - my.uk.mail.com came up on a google search - anyone got any experience

HI

I have been using them and they are very good and very cheap. I wanted to keep a UK address for my UK ltd company. Personal stuff is not a problem

However, I am not going to renew. You have to use a Box / Suite / Appartment number with them which has not been a problem but I don't like it.

I am going to move to expat mail as their address system is much simpler.

emailrob Sep 2nd 2009 5:23 pm

we changed our bank to my parents address, and then all other items we moved to the US address or cancelled as appropriate. Others have been successful, but I'm wary of changing my UK banks to my US address.

ri_mischief Sep 2nd 2009 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by cranston (Post 7897675)
HI

I have been using them and they are very good and very cheap. I wanted to keep a UK address for my UK ltd company. Personal stuff is not a problem

However, I am not going to renew. You have to use a Box / Suite / Appartment number with them which has not been a problem but I don't like it.

I am going to move to expat mail as their address system is much simpler.

Hi there - did you have a recommendation for expat mail or did you just find them online? Why don't you like the box / suite apartment number concept?

MsElui Sep 2nd 2009 6:07 pm

i moved my banks and credit cards over to my us address without too much trouble (they had balances/Overdraft etc on them too).

Chrissywissy100 Sep 2nd 2009 6:09 pm

We didn't direct mail using the UK Postoffice's mail forwarding service, although plenty have with no problems at all (try searching BE for previius threads - this has been discussed before)

We ended up changing our adress to the US one as soon as we were established here, with Banks, Credit Card companies etc, some of whom we still owed money to, and they didn't even flinch.. they said as long as we kept paying and they could contact us, they weren't bothered at all.

BritishGuy36 Sep 2nd 2009 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by ri_mischief (Post 7897621)
Now the house is sold I can't really carry on with this

Why not? Royal mail will allow your mail to be redirected anywhere in the world for up to two years.

ri_mischief Sep 2nd 2009 6:16 pm

Actually I have already had it re-directed for quite some time (can't remember how long) - like I say I've been here a while. I just don't want to continue that way as I no longer own the house. I also think that you have to let banks and stuff know when you're no longer living somewhere don't you?

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 7897833)
Why not? Royal mail will allow your mail to be redirected anywhere in the world for up to two years.

ri_mischief Sep 2nd 2009 6:18 pm

Thanks everyone, sounds like transferring mail to the US address isn't that difficult.

Just as a matter of interest - what banks / credit cards did everyone that changed to the US deal with? I'm just wondering if it's different for different ones.

I have, Barclays, Barclaycard and Egg

Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

BritishGuy36 Sep 2nd 2009 6:20 pm

Why wouldn't you tell your BANK that you've moved, for goodness sake? That's like begging for someone to steal your identity.

Some banks don't allow you to keep the account open if you live permanently abroad, but some are ok. We have Barclays current and credit card accounts and changed the registered address for both to our US address....they didn't care....

ri_mischief Sep 2nd 2009 6:45 pm

Ok - thanks for the feedback - appreciate it - particularly as it's the same bank :-)

Erm...didn't tell them cos owned the house up to about a week ago and mail being forwarded - can't really work out why ID theft would be an issue there

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 (Post 7897863)
Why wouldn't you tell your BANK that you've moved, for goodness sake? That's like begging for someone to steal your identity.

Some banks don't allow you to keep the account open if you live permanently abroad, but some are ok. We have Barclays current and credit card accounts and changed the registered address for both to our US address....they didn't care....

Chrissywissy100 Sep 2nd 2009 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by ri_mischief (Post 7897855)
Thanks everyone, sounds like transferring mail to the US address isn't that difficult.

Just as a matter of interest - what banks / credit cards did everyone that changed to the US deal with? I'm just wondering if it's different for different ones.

I have, Barclays, Barclaycard and Egg

Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

Barclays, Egg, HSBC
Had Current, Saving, Credit, Overdraft and loan accounts with them

Ozzidoc Sep 2nd 2009 10:39 pm

Egg refused to change hubby's address to the US.

ri_mischief Sep 2nd 2009 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 7898530)
Egg refused to change huuby's address to the US.

Weird - what did he do?

Ozzidoc Sep 3rd 2009 12:17 am

Originally Posted by ri_mischief (Post 7898653)
Weird - what did he do?

Changed it to my UK address. Now it's being forwarded from there to the US. Not sure what we'll do longer term. I suspect place the funds elsewhere.