Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Optician prescription, different in the US?

Optician prescription, different in the US?

Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Optician prescription, different in the US?

I'm going to sound like a complete anorak here - but this is how it works....

If you prescription is (for example) -3.75 + 2.50 in the UK, this would be -1.25 -2.50 in the US - basically you add the cyl power (the second one) to the sphere (the first one) and change the sign on the sphere.

Clearly it looks totally different. As the optician said - the cyl power relates to astigmatism, so if you don't have one +/-0.00 as the second value then it will look the same whether it's minus or plus cyl.

S**t I've worked in this industry WAY too long :-)
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:26 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ri_mischief
I'm going to sound like a complete anorak here - but this is how it works....

If you prescription is (for example) -3.75 + 2.50 in the UK, this would be -1.25 -2.50 in the US - basically you add the cyl power (the second one) to the sphere (the first one) and change the sign on the sphere.

Clearly it looks totally different. As the optician said - the cyl power relates to astigmatism, so if you don't have one +/-0.00 as the second value then it will look the same whether it's minus or plus cyl.

S**t I've worked in this industry WAY too long :-)
Thanks for that I was beginning to think I was a complete idiot instead of just a partial one.

My wife has astigmatism so I guess that is what the optician was doing when they said they were translating her UK prescription and why it looked to me as a layman to be totally different.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lansbury
Thanks for that I was beginning to think I was a complete idiot instead of just a partial one.

My wife has astigmatism so I guess that is what the optician was doing when they said they were translating her UK prescription and why it looked to me as a layman to be totally different.
You will also notice a change in her axis measurement - it's the UK reading plus or minus 90 (depending on the axis reading) I didn't add that to the original

It's highly unlikely that her prescription is wrong. If you want to PM me her UK one and US one I'll check it if you like - but you should still probably check with the ECP anyway.

Just for reference - the US way is actually the more globally accepted way (for a change) rather than the UK way I believe ;-)

Another good way to check is if she has contact lenses - both conventions are normally printed on the box
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:42 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

It's highly unlikely that her prescription is wrong. If you want to PM me her UK one and US one I'll check it if you like - but you should still probably check with the ECP anyway.
Thanks that was in 2005 when we came over on a visit. There wasn't anything wrong with the glasses she got just I saw this thread and remembered what had gone on at that time. She has had an eye examination since we moved over here and glasses made to a "proper" US prescription.

Appreciate the offer.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

No problem - happy to help....

Neither way is the "proper way" it's the same prescription - just looks different
Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:08 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

And where is the axis?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snowbunny
And where is the axis?
Axis should also be written on the prescription - normally at the end...

It's the orientation of the astigmatism. Sorry let me correct that - otherwise I'll have an optician jumping all over me - it's the angle at which the lens is set into the frame to correct the astigmatism

At least that's the way I've always understood it - but I'm not an optician....
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:02 am
The destruct-a-bunny

weazie will become famous soon enoughweazie will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the help Sorry for not posting sooner.

Ok: I have an astigmatism for a start.

My UK prescription: distance
Right: sphere: +4.75, Cyl +0.75, Axis 85
Left Sphere: +5.25, Cyl +1.50, Axis 90

US prescription(distance)
Right: Sphere: +6.00, Cyl -50, Axis x165
Left: Sphere +6.75, Cyl -150, Axis x180

My contacts that I have are +5.5 for right and +7.0 for left ( I got them in the UK).

So what do you reckon? are they the same? Thank you- you are all wonderful
Old Mar 18th 2008, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by weazie
Thanks for all the help Sorry for not posting sooner.

Ok: I have an astigmatism for a start.

My UK prescription: distance
Right: sphere: +4.75, Cyl +0.75, Axis 85
Left Sphere: +5.25, Cyl +1.50, Axis 90

US prescription(distance)
Right: Sphere: +6.00, Cyl -50, Axis x165
Left: Sphere +6.75, Cyl -150, Axis x180

My contacts that I have are +5.5 for right and +7.0 for left ( I got them in the UK).

So what do you reckon? are they the same? Thank you- you are all wonderful
Your left eye is identical. Right eye has changed a bit - your UK prescription would now read +5.50 +50 Axis 70. Nothing to worry about. I don't know how old you are? Prescriptions change with age. Can you see ok out of your new glasses? That's the most important thing. Try bocking off your left eye and seeing how you can see with the right eye only.

Your contacts seem a little "off" but again if you can see ok you should be fine.

Last edited by ri_mischief; Mar 18th 2008 at 12:32 am.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 1:21 am
The destruct-a-bunny

Your left eye is identical. Right eye has changed a bit - your UK prescription would now read +5.50 +50 Axis 70. Nothing to worry about. I don't know how old you are? Prescriptions change with age. Can you see ok out of your new glasses? That's the most important thing. Try bocking off your left eye and seeing how you can see with the right eye only.

Your contacts seem a little "off" but again if you can see ok you should be fine.
I'm 23 and my right eye has been getting gradually worse from when i was at university and and now that I spend my whole time in front of the computer - so no surprises there. i dont have my new glasses yet, but i can see fine out of my old glasses (UK script)

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

I'm 23 and my right eye has been getting gradually worse from when i was at university and and now that I spend my whole time in front of the computer - so no surprises there. i dont have my new glasses yet, but i can see fine out of my old glasses (UK script)

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!!
When you get the new ones you might be surprised how much better you can see.

Signs that you prescription is drastically off would be "feeling weird" or nauseous. If that happens use your old ones and get a re-test. "Weird" can be non-specific btw - you just feel "off"
Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

graeme0001 is just really nicegraeme0001 is just really nicegraeme0001 is just really nicegraeme0001 is just really nicegraeme0001 is just really nicegraeme0001 is just really nicegraeme0001 is just really nicegraeme0001 is just really nice

Hi again

Ri-mischief is right about your prescription.

The plus and minus cyl forms are not a US/UK difference really, they are dependent on what optometrist tests you. I know some who prefer minus and some prefer plus. The minus form is reckonised more in the industry.

Your contact prescription seems about right too. You are only wearing a spherical contact lens (no astigmatism - lenses with astigmatism are called torics). To achieve good vision they normal add some of the cyl power to the sph. Thats why your left eye contact lens prescription seems higher. This is not needed in your right eye as your astigmatism is much lower.

Hope your new specs work out
Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:27 pm
The destruct-a-bunny

Originally Posted by graeme0001
Hi again

Ri-mischief is right about your prescription.

The plus and minus cyl forms are not a US/UK difference really, they are dependent on what optometrist tests you. I know some who prefer minus and some prefer plus. The minus form is reckonised more in the industry.

Your contact prescription seems about right too. You are only wearing a spherical contact lens (no astigmatism - lenses with astigmatism are called torics). To achieve good vision they normal add some of the cyl power to the sph. Thats why your left eye contact lens prescription seems higher. This is not needed in your right eye as your astigmatism is much lower.

Hope your new specs work out
Thank you!! The pair I'm wearing right now are being held together by sellotape so Im in need of a new pair.

I chose not to get toric lenses because they were more expensive and I only wear them when i go to the gym.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 2:08 am
Just Joined

William Semmes is an unknown quantity at this point

I went for an eye exam yesterday. The last one I had was a year ago in England with a optician I have been going to since I was 3.

Anyway my prescription for a long time has been +7 and +5.5. But yesterday the prescription the optician gave me was +6 and +6.75.

I'm thinking: is the prescription standards for eyes different in the US?

I don't have any problems with the glasses I have now and don't have headaches, can see straight...

Thanks for any help!!!
I've had prescriptions both in USA and UK and no difference.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 2:50 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Place your right hand over your right eye -

I DO
NOT
KNOW
T H E
A N S W E R
TO Y O U R
Q U E S T I O N

I am under the impression they are slightly different but don't know fur-sher.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.