Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Optician prescription, different in the US?

Optician prescription, different in the US?

Old Mar 15th 2008, 4:28 pm
The destruct-a-bunny

weazie will become famous soon enoughweazie will become famous soon enough
Default Optician prescription, different in the US?

I went for an eye exam yesterday. The last one I had was a year ago in England with a optician I have been going to since I was 3.

Anyway my prescription for a long time has been +7 and +5.5. But yesterday the prescription the optician gave me was +6 and +6.75.

I'm thinking: is the prescription standards for eyes different in the US?

I don't have any problems with the glasses I have now and don't have headaches, can see straight...

Thanks for any help!!!
Old Mar 15th 2008, 4:31 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Optician prescription, different in the US?

Originally Posted by weazie View Post
I went for an eye exam yesterday. The last one I had was a year ago in England with a optician I have been going to since I was 3.

Anyway my prescription for a long time has been +7 and +5.5. But yesterday the prescription the optician gave me was +6 and +6.75.

I don't have any problems with the glasses I have now and don't have headaches, can see straight...

Thanks for any help!!!
I haven't noticed any difference in my prescription other than those caused by old age
Old Mar 15th 2008, 5:53 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure it's the same - my -3.5 UK script got me the same -3.5 contacts in the US. Maybe optometry is more of an art than a science in this respect? I have no idea.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:41 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weazie View Post

Thanks for any help!!!
The values are different in the US then the UK.

Before we moved over my wife had a UK prescription filled in the US when we came over on a visit. She claimed it would be cheaper and liked the US frame styles better.

Anyway the optician said then that the US system is different from the UK one and he had to "translate" it into the US readings.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 4:34 am
The destruct-a-bunny

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
The values are different in the US then the UK.

Before we moved over my wife had a UK prescription filled in the US when we came over on a visit. She claimed it would be cheaper and liked the US frame styles better.

Anyway the optician said then that the US system is different from the UK one and he had to "translate" it into the US readings.
Thanks, thats reassuring. I'm going to go and ask the optician about the translation- check that everything is ok

I thought id seen a thread somewhere on BE about this before but i couldnt find it through search.

Thanks!
Old Mar 16th 2008, 5:20 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Translation??

Last I checked the standard unit of measurement was the diopter/dioptre which is based upon a metric unit (mm).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioptre
Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:43 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
Translation??

Last I checked the standard unit of measurement was the diopter/dioptre which is based upon a metric unit (mm).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioptre
thats what i thought

my contact lenses have not changed in the last 10 years and i get exactly the same one here as I did in the Uk
Old Mar 16th 2008, 4:00 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Well the optician said he couldn't give the British prescription to the lens maker because they would not be made correctly, unless he changed it. Which he did and no he didn't charge to do so.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 4:12 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
Well the optician said he couldn't give the British prescription to the lens maker because they would not be made correctly, unless he changed it. Which he did and no he didn't charge to do so.
I wonder if they express it differently over here like they do the date?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 4:57 pm
The destruct-a-bunny

Originally Posted by Thydney View Post
Thanks for the help. I was thinking initially that she was just a really bad optician.

I've always gone to the same optician in te UK because whenever i went somewhere cheaper they always made a mess of my glassses.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 3:24 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney View Post
It's possible that things like astigmatism etc might be expressed differently, and of course on the continent you'd likely get -1,50 instead of -1.50 ... but other than that ... ?

If you find a conversion (of the optometric kind, not religious) please post it here, I'm curious now.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

graeme0001 is just really nicegraeme0001 is just really nicegraeme0001 is just really nicegraeme0001 is just really nicegraeme0001 is just really nicegraeme0001 is just really nicegraeme0001 is just really nicegraeme0001 is just really nice

Hi Weazie

I am a qualified optician from the UK and now going to live in US. The way prescriptions are written are exactly the same in the UK as in the US. There are two different ways of writing any astigmatism. Plus or Minus form - and this can effect the value of the spherical (first part) of the prescription.

You did not show in your original thread that you had any astigmatism, so I can only assume you have none. This would mean that your prescription has changed or that an error has occurred.

The only difference between US and UK eye examinations is that we use a different scale for the letter chart. The UK uses 6/6 as the bottom line where are the US uses 20/20 ( hence the saying 20/20 vision) but this makes no different to the prescription issued.

Hope this has helped.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:34 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by graeme0001 View Post
I am a qualified optician from the UK and now going to live in US. The way prescriptions are written are exactly the same in the UK as in the US. There are two different ways of writing any astigmatism. Plus or Minus form - and this can effect the value of the spherical (first part) of the prescription.

You did not show in your original thread that you had any astigmatism, so I can only assume you have none. This would mean that your prescription has changed or that an error has occurred.

The only difference between US and UK eye examinations is that we use a different scale for the letter chart. The UK uses 6/6 as the bottom line where are the US uses 20/20 ( hence the saying 20/20 vision) but this makes no different to the prescription issued.

Hope this has helped.
Thanks for this.

6/6 makes a bit more sense as we are usually closer to six feet from the chart rather than 20.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

As someone has said above - US convention is "minus cyl" for astigmatisms, UK "plus cyl".

If you write down your full prescription as written this will show if there has been an error or not

I work for an optical company - not just sad ;-)
Old Mar 17th 2008, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

mumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud of

I just got new glasses on my UK prescription. The only funny part was she told me it had to be within a year, and it was from last Feb! Only it was written 2/5/07 so obviously it looked like May so that was fine!!
My son got an eye exam and his prescription had changed a lot, but then again he's 8 and the optician said it's normal and he sees great with the new glasses. I think they write it differently but the numbers should be the same, as the optician said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.