Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opportunity to go to USA California - Should i go?

Opportunity to go to USA California - Should i go?

Old Jan 7th 2019, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Antihero is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Opportunity to go to USA California - Should i go?

What would be a good website to work out income after tax ?
Old Jan 7th 2019, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Antihero
What would be a good website to work out income after tax ?
Well, a lot depends on what deductions you may have. They can be numerous.
And it's very relevant if you're contributing to a 401K and/or traditional, or Roth, IRA.
Less disposable income but more chance of retiring a millionaire. (I highly recommend.)

The information on Federal and State taxes is easily found but there are so many variables that I'd just, more or less, subtract 30%.
(Apologies to Pulaski who would probably enjoy more precision.)

https://smartasset.com/taxes/califor...eck-calculator

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 7th 2019 at 5:14 pm. Reason: Replaced 'an' with 'a'.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 5:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Well, a lot depends on what deductions you may have. They can be numerous.
And it's very relevant if you're contributing to a 401K and/or traditional, or Roth, IRA.
Less disposable income but more chance of retiring a millionaire. (I highly recommend.)

The information on Federal and State taxes is easily found but there are so many variables that I'd just, more or less, subtract 30%.
(Apologies to Pulaski who would probably enjoy more precision.) ….
No, funnily enough, I agree, as the lower tax bands and exemption (allowance) means that more precision doesn't actually give you a materially different answer.

My rule of thumb is to deduct 30% if you are paid less than $100,000 pa, and 35% if you are paid more than $100,000. You might be a couple of percent off, but I doubt it, and a difference of even $2,000/yr won't make much difference to weekly /monthly budgeting. Not that it usually applies when people come to BE for advice, but by the time you get down to $60,000 the rough figure to deduct is about 20%.

Also bear in mind that a married couple are taxed together, so if Mrs Antihero gets work earning $50,000, then combined with Antihero's salary and bonus the total will be $155,000, and the tax (estimated using 35%) would be $54,250, leaving them with around $100,000 after taxes.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Is it worth doing a 401k ? If you do how does it work ? Is it a percentage ?
if the wife is not working would we be taxed as single or married ?
Old Jan 7th 2019, 6:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Is it worth doing a 401k ? If you do how does it work ? Is it a percentage ? ….
A 401K is a private pension, effectively, and works very similarly - payroll deductions, you choose from a limited range of investment funds, your employer might chip in a percentage, etc.

Worth doing? Well that's your call, but IMO only a fool wouldn't save for retirement!
…. if the wife is not working would we be taxed as single or married ?

You will be taxed as married by default. It is highly unlikely that it would be beneficial for you to elect to be taxed separately.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

If you can afford to do so I recommend it.
The cash for the 401K comes out of your income before tax.
This leaves less of your income to be taxed.

I could talk about it at length but there are plenty of resources out there to research,
I would certainly start a Roth IRA if you can. As soon as you can. (Start something, anything, even if small at first. Your future self will thank you)

401K...you eventually pay tax on the proceeds.
Traditional IRA. Likewise.
Roth IRA. No tax on the proceeds.

These will benefit you if you have time to let them grow. It's the get-rich-slowly scheme.

Here's a fun tool to play with..
http://www.moneychimp.com/calculator...calculator.htm

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 7th 2019 at 6:53 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot
…. Roth IRA. No tax on the proceeds. …..
But no tax deduction on the funds being invested.
Old Jan 7th 2019, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

MrGlasgow is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all ,

Thanks for the feedback and comments ,

Well some more information which might help ,

My current role is a quality and H&S manager but will be taking a role as a production manager for an agriculture business .Communication I have received is that medical will be at no cost to me so they will be covering all costs for me and family, not sure about Tax allowances etc . We are not taking anything with us with regards to relocation , no furniture etc so the 5k would be really for basic furniture . They will be covering baggage and a few boxes , this is mostly our decision as I don't want to ship everything over and the hassle.

Car will be fully costed , they will purchase a new one for me and cover all fuel under my expenses

They will cover all flights for family , legal costs , Visa etc, I will need to discuss adding in Green card costs potentially but I know they will cover this but better to get in writing.

Located in Oxnard but looking at commuting either from Ventura or possibly Camarillo which both not that far

Hope this helps and thanks to everyone for your feedback
I Live in Los Angeles (El Segundo), 2 kids as well (3 and 5). I would say, as a family, monthly income of 10K in the bank is good.

Rent is very costly, Any decent family house ( approx 1000-1200 sq ft) would start from 2500K per month near a good school district.

Medical insurance ( there is co-pay, co-insurance, deductible etc. So, you may want to check all low-level details on that one)
Old Jan 8th 2019, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Would that be 10k before or after tax a month...
Old Jan 8th 2019, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

You will be taxed as married by default. It is highly unlikely that it would be beneficial for you to elect to be taxed separately.
Do the 'married filing jointly' and 'married filing separately' options still both exist? Last time I looked - a VERY long time ago - MFJ was appropriate if both earned a roughly similar amount, but MFJ was way better if one earned a lot and the other earned very little.

Bottom line is, you are allowed to file any way you want each year, so you can fill out your taxes both ways and submit whichever is more advantageous.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Do the 'married filing jointly' and 'married filing separately' options still both exist? Last time I looked - a VERY long time ago - MFJ was appropriate if both earned a roughly similar amount, but MFJ was way better if one earned a lot and the other earned very little. …. .
Yes, a married couple can still file separately or jointly at their option, but it has always been beneficial to us to file jointly even in the years when Mrs P only worked a little or not at all, so I am not sure when it would ever make sense for us to file separately. ….. Maybe the numbers work out differently if even the higher earner has only moderate income, or maybe it's our circumstances, because we always "itemize"?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 8th 2019 at 12:55 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 12:56 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, I don't see where there is a benefit to filing MFS. The deductions are still the deductions, which ever way you slice it. Presumably this is for married people in the throes of a divorce?
Old Jan 8th 2019, 1:11 pm

Would that be 10k before or after tax a month...
He said "in the bank" and I don't know why he would say that if he didn't mean net, after taxes have been deducted. …… Performing the reverse of my earlier estimate process, $10k "in the bank" is going to be around $185,000 gross, but then factor in you being provided with a fully expensed car (equivalent to, say $1,000/mth) and covering all your healthcare out of pocket costs (say another $2,000/mth over standard employer-linked health insurance), and you get back to $149,000 being the gross figure for you as equivalent to $10k/mth "in the bank", which sounds about right and quite possibly achievable if Mrs Antihero obtains employment.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 8th 2019 at 1:18 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 1:17 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I agree, I don't see where there is a benefit to filing MFS. The deductions are still the deductions, which ever way you slice it. Presumably this is for married people in the throes of a divorce?
That would be one. Another, from my limited understanding, is if you claim deductions that would be limited by a high total income. If you instead claim the deductions against the lower income, perhaps you come out ahead. Can’t imagine it helping too many people.
Old Jan 8th 2019, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
That would be one. Another, from my limited understanding, is if you claim deductions that would be limited by a high total income. If you instead claim the deductions against the lower income, perhaps you come out ahead. Can’t imagine it helping too many people.
That was all we could ever come up with, for example it used to be possible to claim medical expenses as a deduction to the extent they exceeded 7% of your income. So if spouses had income of $30,000 and $300,000, and the one with the lower income had medical expenses of $20,000 then if filing separately the lower paid spouse could claim a deduction for medical expenses of $17,900, whereas if filing jointly, the medical expenses don't even reach the 7% threshold. ….. That said, as all the tax band thresholds are halved when filing separately, I am fairly sure that the higher paid spouse would pay so much more income tax in the higher bands if they filed their tax return separately, that it would more than offset the effect of claiming a deduction for $17,900 of medical expenses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.