Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opportunity to go to USA California - Should i go?

Opportunity to go to USA California - Should i go?

Old Aug 5th 2019, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opportunity to go to USA California - Should i go?

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

A possible answer to your question - I'm by no means an expert - is that your working hours are simply that - the time you actually spend at work. So a 38 hour week. The vacation time is what you earn for completing those weeks and on the monthly payslip you see how much vacation time you earned that month as well as how much you have "anticipated" if your company allows it.
But a company isn't required to "allow" this, since EU law actually forces them to grant it:

https://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp...&intPageId=205

The Directive is now part of the Charter of Fundamental Rights, which itself took force of law when the Lisbon Treaty was ratified.

I'm not aware of any French opt-outs here so I really don't see how any companies can have a leg to stand on here, especially since non-compliance would open a company up to litigation.
Old Aug 5th 2019, 7:46 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
But a company isn't required to "allow" this, since EU law actually forces them to grant it:

https://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=706&langId=en&intPageId=205

The Directive is now part of the Charter of Fundamental Rights, which itself took force of law when the Lisbon Treaty was ratified.

I'm not aware of any French opt-outs here so I really don't see how any companies can have a leg to stand on here, especially since non-compliance would open a company up to litigation.
Like I said, I'm no expert and certainly can't be bothered to plow through all the info. Maybe you 'd like to find the part that says that french people don't have to earn their vacation time?
Old Aug 6th 2019, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Until pretty recently in the UK, holidays ramped in with the length of service, over a 12 month or more period. The EU put paid to that, and back when we ran our own business we had more than one new hire take their vacations the week after they joined, and quit within a few months. The US system seems fairer to me.
Just curious - regarding when you ran your own business - how many employees did you have? I would have thought that as a very small company, there'd be some exceptions granted to you in terms of what you had to offer / pay for.

After working for 30+ years in 'corporate America', I started my own company here in California and at one point we got so busy I considered hiring some people. This brought to the fore all the issues relating to 'employee rights', and it became clear just how difficult it could be to take on an employee. In my case (in CA), I could get away with treating them as an hourly contractor for a while - pay them as a 1099 worker. Only when the workload became close to full time would I then convert them to W2, which is when benefits, etc kick in. Is that not an option in the UK?
Old Aug 6th 2019, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Up to 8 apart from Dad, me, and Lizzyq.
We couldn't taper people onto vacation or sick entitlement.
Old Aug 29th 2019, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

efsedran.b is a jewel in the roughefsedran.b is a jewel in the roughefsedran.b is a jewel in the roughefsedran.b is a jewel in the rough

Everything looks great, although 90k wage might be not enough if your wife won't find the job. But if they offer a growth after some time maybe it's fine then.