Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opportunity to go to USA California - Should i go?

Opportunity to go to USA California - Should i go?

Old Jul 29th 2019, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

essexnick has a spectacular aura aboutessexnick has a spectacular aura aboutessexnick has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Opportunity to go to USA California - Should i go?

Originally Posted by Antihero
HI Everyone ,

New to the forum and would like help on a possible opportunity to go to the USA - California Area (probably Ventura way)

My company wants me to go and would go on a L1 visa with my family , they have offered

$90 , 000 wage for a managerial role
$15 , 000 bonus
Full medical for me and family
Flight costs
Visa Costs/Legal expenses
Relocations costs up to $5000
Expense paid company car /petrol / Laptop / Phone

I have been out there and i like the area and scenery but i am not sure whats the good salary for that area , hopefully the wife can get some work in a while and my kids are still young at 3 and 6. Is this salary going to be enough to live comfortably ? if the wife works then it adds to the money.i know the cost of living is alot more and rent is not cheap !

Any help would be appreciated as i need to start making a decision
Thanks
R
There is one thing here that you haven't mentioned. And it's really a big deal. Take it from someone who has been living in California for the last 16 years.
VACATION allowance?
After a few years of working all the time, the novelty of living here will wear off.
I am going to assume you probably get about 30+ days of holiday pay in the UK? Plus bank holidays? And unlimited sick time?
Kiss that all goodbye when you come to America.
You will be lucky to get 15 days paid vacation. Then you have to earn sick time. Yes sick time. This is real.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by essexnick
You will be lucky to get 15 days paid vacation. Then you have to earn sick time. Yes sick time. This is real.
5 years in, and I am on 20 days, and get 200 hours of sick time - but got that from joining.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

essexnick has a spectacular aura aboutessexnick has a spectacular aura aboutessexnick has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by steveq
5 years in, and I am on 20 days, and get 200 hours of sick time - but got that from joining.
Exactly! My brother's new job in London gave him 30 days from day 1.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Old Jul 29th 2019, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry all i havent replied in a while but life has been super busy.....so i have my L1 visa interview in august after the approved the paperwork. We are in process of packing up and looking for removal companies (which is a nightmare ) as i dont know which one to go for .

Communication with Rental places have been good , just need to get an apartment sorted . School can only be done when we are there !

its going to be a super busy couple of weeks to get ready for this move !!
Did you ever clarify the details of your health insurance plan..... at one point you expected there to be NO costs to you at all.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by essexnick
Exactly! My brother's new job in London gave him 30 days from day 1.
Until pretty recently in the UK, holidays ramped in with the length of service, over a 12 month or more period. The EU put paid to that, and back when we ran our own business we had more than one new hire take their vacations the week after they joined, and quit within a few months. The US system seems fairer to me.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 9:59 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

In France, vacation time is very generous but you earn it as you go along and often you have to go the whole of the first year in a new job without taking any vacation time. Big companies might allow you to "anticipate" the vacation time so that you actually get it during the first year. Then each year after that you have to take the time off since the number of days you can carry over to the following year is also often restricted.... vive la france!
Old Jul 29th 2019, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

smherron is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steveq
Until pretty recently in the UK, holidays ramped in with the length of service, over a 12 month or more period. The EU put paid to that, and back when we ran our own business we had more than one new hire take their vacations the week after they joined, and quit within a few months. The US system seems fairer to me.
when I left the UK in January I still accrued holidays at a rate of 2 per month, and after a certain length of service more were allocated.

im not suggesting that it’s the same here I’m the US as it’s clearly more generous in the UK, but the way holidays are accrued is no different.

in the example you gave, you would be entitled to withhold pay for any holidays taken which have not been accrued.
Old Jul 29th 2019, 11:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The opening post in the following thread is worth reading.

Leaving California for England after 16 years
Old Jul 30th 2019, 5:08 am
Just Joined

Cdntluvumore is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow for an entire family, I wouldn’t consider it. In that area you would probably be on the breadline even with the bonus. It sounds like an awful lot coming Fromm England, but we are now in a cheaper area on $120’000 and we can either save a small amount of money each month OR fix up our house a little at a time. It takes us months to get the cash to go back to England...and I’m as frugal as they come!
Request at least an extra $20’000 and you will be ok.
My husband managed to negotiate up by 50% and that is how we got off the breadline! But seriously, we had to go to the food bank to make it each month 😖
Old Aug 5th 2019, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Antihero is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Essexnick

Yeah vacation is not as luxury as it is in Europe , i got the standard days , PTMO and public holidays paid off. i could complain about other European countries but whats the point ,
My package is ok now at the moment in the UK , its not the best it could be compared to alot of UK companies but its better than alot
Old Aug 5th 2019, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Well it always depends on the company , there is no industry standard in Europe...you could be better or worse off
Old Aug 5th 2019, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
In France, vacation time is very generous but you earn it as you go along and often you have to go the whole of the first year in a new job without taking any vacation time. Big companies might allow you to "anticipate" the vacation time so that you actually get it during the first year. Then each year after that you have to take the time off since the number of days you can carry over to the following year is also often restricted.... vive la france!
Yeah i have a few friends in France and i cant believe they cant take holiday the 1st year they join , imagine if you changed jobs every few years !

Most places i have worked are pro rata , taking holidays has never been an issue ,
Old Aug 5th 2019, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah i have a few friends in France and i cant believe they cant take holiday the 1st year they join
I just can't see how banning an employee from taking any holiday for the first year wouldn't run afoul of EU Working Time Directive. I'd be very interested to know the justification for this.
Old Aug 5th 2019, 4:51 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
I just can't see how banning an employee from taking any holiday for the first year wouldn't run afoul of EU Working Time Directive. I'd be very interested to know the justification for this.

OMG, if there is one thing you learn when living in France it is that there are rules for everything. Then you learn that there is quite probably a way round each and every rule.....
A possible answer to your question - I'm by no means an expert - is that your working hours are simply that - the time you actually spend at work. So a 38 hour week. The vacation time is what you earn for completing those weeks and on the monthly payslip you see how much vacation time you earned that month as well as how much you have "anticipated" if your company allows it.
FWIW, most of the people I knew in France worked beyond the 38 hours but it didn't look like that because they were all "supposed" to take those lovely long lunches. Or if they had to travel for work then they were given an extra 3 weeks vacation time which of course was almost impossible to take, nonetheless, it was there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.