Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opinions on Success of Border Crossing

Opinions on Success of Border Crossing

Old Oct 22nd 2002, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

runtbox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opinions on Success of Border Crossing

Hello all. This Friday I am going to make an attempt at crossing the border to go and visit my husband, a USC.

I am currently unemployed, and I live with my mom, so I don't have any real proof that I'm going to be coming back. The phone here is in my name, and I have a loan that I am still paying back, but other than that I don't have any real ties.

I plan on crossing with that, and proof that the last time I said I was visiting the States I did return to Canada when I said I would. I'm going to bring my NOAs, and two letters that we've received from his senator's office. One says that in ten business days our case was going to be in the hands of an adjudicator, and the second says that it is now in the hands of an adjudicator. Though that was a month ago now. Also my return ticket is for a month later, the same as the last time I visited(during which we got married).

I'll be taking a Greyhound bus from Montreal, Quebec and crossing over to Plattsburgh, New York.

Any suggestions, tips, or opinions on my success would be greatly appreciated as I'm quite nervous and scared that I'll be turned back.

Thanks a bunch,

Amanda

P.S.: If I did get turned back, would that effect our current proceedings?
Old Oct 22nd 2002, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

tparrent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Opinions on Success of Border Crossing

If I was an INS officer and saw everything you described I would certainly think there was a clear and expressed intent to immigrate.

Why do you think a LOAN is a valid tie to Canada? More likely a reason to LEAVE, don't you think?

If I were you, I wouldn't bring up anything at all. Just simply and CONCISELY answer the questions asked. Offer nothing more.

Now if someone else has information that rejection at the border would be detrimental to your case then I suggest you stay home. At least your beau can visit you.
Old Oct 22nd 2002, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

runtbox is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought that I would be best off being honest with them, and therefore not hide my intent to immigrate. I was hoping to show them that because we're so far along in the process now that of course I would come back to finish my end. I don't know what the best approach is which is why I'm asking for poeple's opinions. :-\
Old Oct 22nd 2002, 11:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by runtbox:
I thought that I would be best off being honest with them, and therefore not hide my intent to immigrate. I was hoping to show them that because we're so far along in the process now that of course I would come back to finish my end. I don't know what the best approach is which is why I'm asking for poeple's opinions. :-\
No one is telling you to be dishonest. What they are telling you is to answer the question when asked but not to volunteer information that is not asked for. Big difference.

It is my understanding that they are particularly hard on travelers using the bus to cross the border. Isn't there any way a family member could drive you to Plattsburgh. I will tell you were went through the Lake Champlain crossing for the Canadian Thanksgiving and it isn't fun. Long long lines and lots of questions.

I've also taken the train to New York from Montreal and they were more thorough on the train then at the drive-thru POE.

So while there is no harm in trying to cross as long as you are honest and willing to accept a turn around if the agent feels you are a pending migrant, please prepare yourself for that evidentially if it comes up.

Rete