British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Opinions on San Diego? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/opinions-san-diego-163310/)

chch Jul 2nd 2003 4:45 pm

Opinions on San Diego?

We've been living in Boston up until now but we have been offered the opportunity of possibly moving to San Diego later in the year. We actually really like it here EXCEPT for the summer weather. I like the snow in winter, but find the humidity pretty unbearable in summer.

Has anyone been to San Diego? Any thoughts/ comments? I've been told that the climate is one of the best in the country - is that true?

207lonsdale Jul 2nd 2003 9:49 pm

Re: Opinions on San Diego?

Originally posted by chch
Has anyone been to San Diego? Any thoughts/ comments? I've been told that the climate is one of the best in the country - is that true?
I have been to San Diego, in a way it is much like anywhere else .... it has its good points and bad points, but I am no expert as I was only there for a week.
I was told that San Diego has the perfect climate, but that statement assumes that everyone enjoys summer all year round! Personally, I found the heat a bit too much, but then again I am used to the UK climate!!:)

mark19964 Jul 3rd 2003 6:39 am

Now your Talking "Dream City". For a start it has one of the finest zoo's in the world, Mission bay is an excellent area for water sports and La Jolla is to die for as the ultimate califonian beach town.
True the weather is hot but most importantly not humid like the east coast, it does have the perfect climate.
The only thing that is expensive is housing and comparable I would guess to central Boston - so says my father in law - from Boston. He's also had the fortune to live for sometime in both areas and said he would pick San diego in a shot.

Regards - Mark

Duncs Jul 3rd 2003 2:22 pm

Re: Opinions on San Diego?

Originally posted by chch
We've been living in Boston up until now but we have been offered the opportunity of possibly moving to San Diego later in the year. We actually really like it here EXCEPT for the summer weather. I like the snow in winter, but find the humidity pretty unbearable in summer.

My wife (USC) and I (UKC) are planning our move from the UK and just dont know where to go. We had originally thought Boston but cant figure out how to find an apartment when neither of us has a job. How do people move when they dont have a job to go to? Where should we look in Boston for short term housing to get our feet down? any ideas or suggestions?

regards,

Duncan & Lacey

Vicky88 Jul 3rd 2003 7:15 pm

We live in San Diego at the moment and have to say the weather here is really good. Never seems to get unbearably hot, unless you live inland, and the winter's are rather mild.

The positives of SD are without doubt the weather, the beach and for us we find it easy. We have lived here for 3 years, in 2 separate stints.

The negatives are without doubt the cost of housing and the commute. We pay $2100 a month to rent a 3 bedroom apt. We are not talking an ocean view, or near the beach. The housing market here is tight so the landlords really dictate what you pay. We could get cheaper if we went inland but we choose to live here because it is close to my husbands work. A 10 mile commute here could take you an hour at peak hour, traffic is horrendous. Other night we went to the beach at Del Mar which is within 5 miles of our apt. and at 7.00 p.m. it took us half an hour to get there because the traffic was bumper to bumper.

We looked at buying but have decided it is not an option. To buy something within reasonable commuting distance was $425,000+ for a 3 bedroom condo with ongoing monthly fees. We aren't talking about anything stunning, or especially roomy, or even new.

As for La Jolla don't even think about it unless you have a million plus in your bank account. Lovely area but very expensive.

We have also lived in Silicon Valley and have to say while we prefer the weather and the ease of living in SD, we found SV a lot more interesting.

chch Jul 4th 2003 2:08 am

Thanks very much for your replies... I had heard that it was expensive to live there, although as we are already paying what's actually a bargain price of $1600 a month for a very small 2 bedroom flat in Boston, the cost of accommodation probably wouldn't be too much of a shock to us. The only place we've been to on the West Coast was LA and smoggy though it was, the balmy weather was really pleasant while we were there.

I would definitely miss everything New England has to offer if we do move though, including the winter weather, but we may have no choice about leaving Massachusetts in the end.. at least San Diego sounds like one of the more appealing places in the country to live (the other possibility is Milwaukee - not a very thrilling idea!!).

Vicky88 Jul 4th 2003 7:10 pm

Agree that SD would be preferable to Milwaukee. Other thing you need to keep in mind is we have very high state taxes here. Top range is 9.3% and about to go up because the state is bankrupt.

If you like seasons or "weather" you will find it a bit dull here. Must admit first time we lived here we were so happy to leave because we found the climate to be very boring and predictable. However after 18 months of miserable UK weather we were more than happy to come back to boring and predictable. We love the sun and warm weather so it has been an easier move for us.

ctwickman Jul 8th 2003 2:56 am

What's wrong with Milwaukee? Have you ever been there?

It's a lovely city. Right on the lake with a wonderful lakefront park. VERY affordable. Nice river walk and more corner pubs than anywhere in the country (they don't call it "Brew City" for nothing). Some of the shortest commutes and least amount of traffic congestion in the country. Major sports teams and entertainment. And it's all within an hour's drive to the 2nd most exciting city in America--Chicago. Can't think of any reason why Milwaukee is not one of the best places in America to live.

We British expats have a real problem... we tend to think America revolves around the coasts when in fact the coasts are the most polluted, congested, expensive places to live in the nation and they offer very little over other parts of the country.

Vicky88 Jul 8th 2003 3:26 am

Actually I have been to Milwaukee. Just not my cup of tea, but in view of it's population it obviously appeals to a lot of people.

However, keep in mind that some of us have no option of where we live, you have to go where the work is, and normally that is in the bigger more expensive cities.

That said I am still glad we are in San Diego rather than Milwaukee even if we can't afford to buy. The winter over that way is far too cold for me.

ctwickman Jul 8th 2003 3:39 am

Thanks Vicky but my question was posed to "chch", not you, since he/she said they were not thrilled about the option of Milwaukee.

Sorry for any confusion...

Vicky88 Jul 8th 2003 3:48 am

Sorry, I thought it was a general question, teach me to read properly next time :-)