Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opinions please: Jeep Wrangler X 2004

Opinions please: Jeep Wrangler X 2004

Old Apr 21st 2004, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default Opinions please: Jeep Wrangler X 2004

I'm looking for a car and think I have found the perfect one. It's a Jeep Wrangler X, auto, 2wd. I like this car a lot because it's a little bit different and fun! The one I have my eye on is bright yellow

My neighbour has an old one that I've looked at and I like the squareness and rawness of it. It looks tough but at the same time in yellow it looks suitably girly and funky.
To begin with, my only preferences for buying a car were that I must have a 'high-up' driving position (so that wiped out all the 'normal' cars), and that it was not too big, not overly powerful (i.e. 5.4!) and has a bit of personality. I really like the idea of having a top that comes off too for the days in the 60's & 70's - I prefer the look of the soft top too.
I have considered other Jeeps and small suvs such as the Jeep Liberty and the Ford Escape but they look so boring to me. Perhaps I should be more sensible and buy one of the more consertive styles - perhaps they would be more comfortable. I also thought about buying a Suzuki Vitara but Mr Whatever said that it would be like driving a sardine tin... in other words flimsy, tinny and he would probably refuse to drive it on the days when we needed to swap cars - preferring to walk!
So that's about the sum of it. Has anyone owned or driven a Jeep Wrangler? Good, bad and just for the hell of it opinions most welcome. http://www.jeep.com/wrangler/index.h...page&type=main

Last edited by whatever; Apr 21st 2004 at 2:14 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 3:52 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

My brother in law has a Jeep Wrangler.
It's great for about 10 mins, then you get pissed off with the noise, cheap build quality, crappy oversized/under powered engine. V poor fuel economy.
I could go on but I'm even sending myself to sleep thinking about it.
Go for a VW
But then I would say that
Old Apr 21st 2004, 4:30 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, go for a VW!

I drive a Golf in Dallas, and it's great fun - in a suicidal kind of way!

Great fun to be faster than any of the Texan Tanks away from the lights...great fun to get 30mpg... and great fun that nobody can see you from within their Hummer H2 or Chevy Suburban.

There's really nothing like being almost wiped out by a truck a few times on your way to work to brighten up an otherwise dull commute!!!
Old Apr 21st 2004, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by excpomea
My brother in law has a Jeep Wrangler.
It's great for about 10 mins, then you get pissed off with the noise, cheap build quality, crappy oversized/under powered engine. V poor fuel economy.
I could go on but I'm even sending myself to sleep thinking about it.
Go for a VW
But then I would say that
Do you know which model Wrangler he has? Which VW are you thinking of?
Old Apr 21st 2004, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by dbj1000
Yep, go for a VW!
There's really nothing like being almost wiped out by a truck a few times on your way to work to brighten up an otherwise dull commute!!!

Oh my lord and presumably you are NOT a salesman for VW?! :scared:

I do like VW's, we've had golf's here in the UK but I HAVE to be high up.... i'm not budging on that.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 5:30 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

I personally wouldn't go for a wankeler!

they do look fun, but you can't get f-all inside them or on top. They also seemed to be driven by high school kids, that have no consideration for other's.

Nissan has just come out with a new SUV, can't for the life of me remember its name...but to me it looks a very niced size SUV.

they have a good reputation over here and hold their value.

I switch between driving a explorer and a mitsubushi galant (car) and must say, right now I enjoy driving the car more, it has alot better suspension, better mpg, drives like a go-cart. when we finish paying it off, in 2035 I'm going trade it in for a BMdubya. they are having some great deals on those right now.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 5:33 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

amarda...thats the name.....looks beefy botham to me!
Attached Thumbnails Opinions please:  Jeep Wrangler X 2004-k0784_180x150_arm_15k.gif  
Old Apr 21st 2004, 5:34 pm
Never right in the head!

bloody eck. I spelt it wrong.....what a dollard....anyways I'll take one over a chevy.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Last year, I saw Nissan running road tests here in the Valley for the new armada. They tape up all the logo's and some of the bodywork, so no one knows what it is and then fill it with computer equipment. It looked bloody awful that day, but I have to say its growing on me.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 6:32 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I have a bright yellow Jeep Wrangler. They absolutely rock! They're solid, comfortable, funky, fast and just the coolest thing on the road. Go for it!
Old Apr 21st 2004, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Rockgurl
My wife and I have a bright yellow Jeep Wrangler. They absolutely rock! They're solid, comfortable, funky, fast and just the coolest thing on the road. Go for it!

See.... that's what I'm thinking! Maybe it's a girl thing

Yosser, thanks for the info on the Nissan - that thing is WAY too big for me - I'm a midget!!!! (well not literally) but I want to at least be able to see over the steering wheel!!!

Last edited by whatever; Apr 21st 2004 at 10:13 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on the engine really ... if its the little 4 banger you might be a bit dissapointed (0-60 eventually) try and go for the 6 cylinder its much better.

Jan
Old Apr 21st 2004, 8:42 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whatever
Do you know which model Wrangler he has? Which VW are you thinking of?

I would have to ask, I know it's the 6 cylinder, 4 Liter. 0-60 on a gallon of gas

As for VWs you need 2. A Golf and a Passat.

We have the Golf for running around town and playing chicken with the trucks (We will loose one day)

Then the Passat is great for longer trips (Plus whoever gets out of the door first in the morning gets the Passat)
We have the GLX V6 it's the dogs bollocks
Old Apr 21st 2004, 9:35 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

whatever, get the 4WD though...don't bother with a 2WD. We're so glad we got the 4WD although I know you won't get much snow in Texas.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:11 pm
DBH
Forum Regular

DBH is a jewel in the roughDBH is a jewel in the roughDBH is a jewel in the roughDBH is a jewel in the rough
Cool I'm a Jeepster!

Originally posted by whatever
See.... that's what I'm thinking! Maybe it s girl thing
No, actually it's a lesbian thing!

I've got a 2001 Wrangler Sport, and I love it! I would prefer one from the early 80's (round headlights, not square), but I don't have the money to restore one right now.

I'm not sure what the differences are in the new models because I haven't researched them this year. I do know that one has more passenger room, and is about 17 inches longer than the standard Wrangler. I think it's the Unlimited. If you want traditional, then stick with the classic look. Most Jeep owners prefer the classic look, so resale will probably be better with those models.

Noise is a problem with either the soft top or the hard top on. I've got both, and there is a considerable difference between the noise levels. It has it positive side though because it keeps me off the cell phone more.

If you're in an area with snow, then you MUST have the 4 X 4. The six-cylinder is also a must have if you want some power going up hills, towing, etc. Both features are great for resale too.

The thing that you have to remember is that the Wrangler's purpose is for off-roading... and having fun. It's not a family car, or luxury car... nor has it ever claimed to be (or ever will be). The suspension is different than that on a regular car, so when you go over a speedbump... then you better tell your passenger to hold on! LOL If you can live with that, then I say go for it.

Out of all the cars made, I like my Jeep the best. The only thing that I would ever replace it with would be another Wrangler.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.