Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opening a US bank account?

Opening a US bank account?

Old Nov 7th 2007, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

gretauk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opening a US bank account?

I actually live in the UK, but my sister lives in the States, as 22 members of my family, so I can spend at least a couple of months on the other side of the pond there each year.

I'm interested in opening a US bank account, as it would make sense. A simple deposit account will do, don't need any cards etc. Could I do this, and if so what documentation would I need? I'm assuming I could not do this until I was actually in the States, but how would I go about a proof of address? Could I use my sister's address (she would be okay with it), or something else? What about tax as a non-resident (although the amounts banked would not be great)?

Has anyone had any experience of doing this before? Thanks.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Werrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Opening a US bank account?

You might have trouble with the lack of a SSN - that was one of the stumbling blocks I constantly ran into when trying to get things set up while waiting for my green card.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for this, its useful to know. Has anyone managed to open an account without SSN? I'm not asking for cards, credit etc, just a simple deposit.

How do investors invest in offshore accounts, apart from going through something like Lloyds Offshore in the UK?

Alternatively, would it would be possible for me to open a joint bank account, with my sister?
Old Nov 7th 2007, 7:59 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gretauk
Thanks for this, its useful to know. Has anyone managed to open an account without SSN? I'm not asking for cards, credit etc, just a simple deposit.

I got account and Credit card with no SSN. However I'm pretty sure they took a copy of my work visa
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Werrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the roughWerrf is a jewel in the rough

How do investors invest in offshore accounts, apart from going through something like Lloyds Offshore in the UK?
Not being an offshore investor, I can only guess that they pay extra or something But for the everyday civilian, a SSN is pretty essential. I've had a number of people sound surprised when I said we didn't have them (or at least, not in the same way) in the UK.

Could your sister open the account, and just give you access information?
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:03 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Alternatively, would it would be possible for me to open a joint bank account, with my sister?
I opened one while on the visa waiver back in 2002. Didn't have a problem opening the account but did have a problem trying to close it because they asked for my SSN when I was trying to close it in 2003; when I told them there wasn't one associated with the account they tried to tell me it was impossible. When opening an account without an SSN I believe there is a specific form they need to fill out.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I actually live in the UK, but my sister lives in the States, as 22 members of my family, so I can spend at least a couple of months on the other side of the pond there each year.

I'm interested in opening a US bank account, as it would make sense. A simple deposit account will do, don't need any cards etc. Could I do this, and if so what documentation would I need? I'm assuming I could not do this until I was actually in the States, but how would I go about a proof of address? Could I use my sister's address (she would be okay with it), or something else? What about tax as a non-resident (although the amounts banked would not be great)?

Some banks its not so easy ..and differing states can be difficult
But a friend over here for a week opened a checking accout at wachovia.
with no problem at all ..

But on your next visit just walk in the bank of your choice and ask ..
forget getting an interest paying account ..
you can use you sisters address
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense to open an account. With the $ as weak as it is you would be better off using a UK credit card and then paying that off. If it starts getting stronger then you might want to look into it.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Worsel is an unknown quantity at this point

yes, i opened a us bank account with hsbc in 2005 without a ssn. might be an idea to open an hsbc account in the uk and then ask about what they can do for you in the us once you are an existing customer.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Agree re the dollar being as weak as it is. However, I have a few hundred $ via Google Adsense, which is calculated in dollars. Right now its sitting in Google's bank account, earning no interest on my part ... because conversion into sterling at today's exchange rates is a bad idea. Which is the lesser of the two evils?

My logic: can't I just bank it in the US, and spend that money whilst I'm out there? (There's probably tax implications here too, and Google would want a some tax code for US deposits). Just makes no sense to earn in dollars convert into sterling, only to convert money back into dollars again?!

My other reasoning was to buy some dollars whilst the exchange rate is good, bank this, and use for future visits. I'm no investor, just experienced a bad exchange rate (sterling much weaker) in the past.

Bank account - could try when I'm next there, but I'm not hopeful. (My sister lives in MA).
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:07 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You can open a dollar account at Citibank in the UK I think. Many Jersey and Isle of Mann banks also offer dollar accounts.

You don't need an SSN unless you are a citizen. Banks are required to "know their customers" as part of the Patriot Act. For US citizens, this means providing an SSN. For non-USCs, each bank has its own procedure. I had a friend open an account at PNC the other day with basically just a passport and an official government letter addressed to them at a specific address.

Check the WIKI section re: USA/Finances. More details there.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

sueuk1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We just opened an account in georgia with Wachovia, we do not live in U.S.
They were very helpful, all sorted in 2-3 hours. All we needed was ID, utility bills, we have recieved cheque books. Much quicker opening a bank account there than back home. no ssn number.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You probably had to file a none residence thing for the google adsense so that they didn't tax the money, so that should still hold as your not a resident in the US.

All you need to open a bank account is two forms of ID to show who you are, a passport and photo drivers license will do, if a bank is a hassle about it, go to another one.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 12:17 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Opened an account with Wachovia when I first got here. All I used was my passport. Had no issue. When my SSN came through, I gave it to them to put on file.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 4:45 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Citibank UK can add a US$ account to your UK account.

Although I really wouldn't bother. All you need is your UK credit card or even your UK debit card and you're good to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.