Reload this Page >

Opening a UK bank account while resident in the US

Opening a UK bank account while resident in the US

Old Mar 15th 2015, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

Jakov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opening a UK bank account while resident in the US

Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone has any thoughts/experience with opening a UK bank account while being resident in the US (currently on an NIV but hopefully soon on GC).

Is this actually legal to do?

I looks like a lot of UK banks frown on non-residents opening up accounts but it's not clear that either the US or UK have any actual laws against this. The US particularly seem content enough as long as accounts are declared and tax is paid on interest etc.

From the point of view of a UK bank it's hard to tell I'm not resident as I have a postal address, UK phone number, and am in the country fairly often anyway.

Cheers,
Jakov
Old Mar 15th 2015, 11:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a UK bank account while resident in the US

Originally Posted by Jakov
Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone has any thoughts/experience with opening a UK bank account while being resident in the US (currently on an NIV but hopefully soon on GC).

Is this actually legal to do?

I looks like a lot of UK banks frown on non-residents opening up accounts but it's not clear that either the US or UK have any actual laws against this. The US particularly seem content enough as long as accounts are declared and tax is paid on interest etc.

From the point of view of a UK bank it's hard to tell I'm not resident as I have a postal address, UK phone number, and am in the country fairly often anyway.

Cheers,
Jakov

You usually have to provide proof that you are resident...not just provide an UK address. This is by producing utility bills in your name or proof that your name is on the electoral roll. Same applies to obtaining a UK credit card.

Opening an UK bank account while not an UK resident had been discussed before. Try searching all the BE forums using the BE search engine.
Old Mar 15th 2015, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

Jakov is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, I had forgotten about that kind of thing. I may well have enough of those things, I think I am on the electoral roll, maintain a mobile phone contract, lots of bank accounts...

I did try searching but I didn't turn up anything that looked relevant. If you happen to know of some threads or good search terms I would appreciate that too.

Thanks.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 12:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, I had forgotten about that kind of thing. I may well have enough of those things, I think I am on the electoral roll, maintain a mobile phone contract, lots of bank accounts...

I did try searching but I didn't turn up anything that looked relevant. If you happen to know of some threads or good search terms I would appreciate that too.

Thanks.
I don't know if you have to sign a declaration that you are a UK resident. If so I wouldn't.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 5:03 pm
Brit abroad - lawyer

nadine0895 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there you can open basic accounts when you arrive but you wont have any luck before that. santander and hsbc do passport accounts where you just need a passport and you can just tell them your address and they will take that as bible. you wont be able to have direct debits or an overdraft but once you establish a credit history with them, they will offer to upgrade your account
Old Mar 19th 2015, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

If you apply for a basic account with the Coop or Barclays, they will provide a basic bank account that will also allow D/D - but no overdraft/credit facilities.

Once you are on the electoral roll you can apply for a subprime card (like Aqua/Vanquis) to get yourself rolling on the credit history ... after a year or so you should be good to apply for a 'prime' card, either through a mailer, or through your bank when you upgrade your basic account.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 5:09 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
If you already have those, then why do you need more?..