Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opening a Provisional File in London?

Opening a Provisional File in London?

Old Nov 27th 2001, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

thetreefrog is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

Once again I'm looking for some help. I've read numerous people's posts who've mentioned opening a provisional file at the London Consulate, and although I've just done a search on this forum, I've yet to find anything specific about what needs to be done to open a provisional file. Can anyone help? It it just a matter of filling in the packet 3 forms from the consulate web site and sending them in? Do we need to enclose a cover letter requesting a provisional file be opened or anything like that?

If anyone could offer some advice, or point me in the direction of a web site that covers this, I'd really appreciate it.

Btw, this is for a I-129/fiance visa. We've already received our notice of action and have a receipt number and alien number and are waiting for the notice of approval from the VSC.

Thanks!

-laurie
Old Nov 27th 2001, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, you just send in the OF-230 part 1, or whatever the fiancé equivalent is, to the visa branch. Do include a brief cover letter explaining why you are sending in the form and the status of your petition.

Once they have processed this form, your file is open and they will send you a case number. You can send in the document checklist from packet 3 at this point, if you are ready.

The best website that I know of is the consulate website itself.
Old Nov 28th 2001, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

thetreefrog is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Ameriscot.

From looking at the consulate web site, it seems that we are to send in forms OF-230-I, form DS-156 and supplement, which I believe is DS-156K in our case.

We've been filling out these forms and came across a few questions, and were hoping someone could help us out.

On form DS-156:
Box 19: Asks the purpose of your trip. Is it sufficient to state "marriage to US citizen fiance" or is there a better way to word this?

Box 22: Asks how long you intend to stay in the US. As Jeremy's moving here for good, is it best to state "indefinitely" in response to this question, or is there a better way to word this?

Box 25: Asks "Do you intend to work in the US". Well, eventually he does, of course, but if you select "yes" to this question you're asked for your employers contact information. Obviously, Jeremy doesn't have an employer yet and will need to go through the whole work permit thing once he gets here before he can work. I'm assuming the correct way to answer this is "No", but will that cause trouble in the future because he's stated he doesn't intend to work when in fact he does... but not until after he files for adjustment of status?

On form OF-230-I:
Box 31: asks if you want a social security card issued. Do we say yes? I was under the impression that getting Jeremy a social security card is a whole different process, unrelated to the INS, that needs to take place once he arrives in the US. Am I wrong here? Does checking this box actually get him a SS card?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on these!

-laurie
Old Nov 28th 2001, 5:01 am
Sue

Hi Laurie, We did K1/K2 last year, some comments:

>
    >

Yes that's fine.

>
    >
    >

'Indefinitely' is good.

>
    >

You could put something like 'Yes when settled and have EAD', or even just 'Yes' (not
sure what I put, I think 'yes when settled' or some such.

Remember the form is multi-purpose so some of the questions may not suit each
circumstance.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Yes, you can say 'yes'.

But no it doesn't get him an SS number or card. You do apply for that separately, you
can download a form to apply for an SSN or get one from an SS office.

Hope this helps a little.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >