Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opening a bank account from the UK?

Opening a bank account from the UK?

Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

gglondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opening a bank account from the UK?

Hi!

I've read http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...nancial_Topics and have been talking to few friends - and it looks like getting a credit card isn't obvious for newcomers in the US.
HSBC can help opening an account, and that includes a credit card (http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/t...leaving-the-uk). They charge £100 for that. Is it worth the fee?

Thanks
gg
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:19 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a bank account from the UK?

If you can get a USD credit card, with a credit limit based on your UK credit history, it is worth 100 UKP.

Applications for credit cards in the US will not usually take into account your UK credit history, though for some that may not be a bad thing .
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I paid the £100 and I think it is worth it.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:01 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gglondon
Hi!

I've read http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...nancial_Topics and have been talking to few friends - and it looks like getting a credit card isn't obvious for newcomers in the US.
HSBC can help opening an account, and that includes a credit card (http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/t...leaving-the-uk). They charge £100 for that. Is it worth the fee?

Thanks
gg
I didn't pay anything but got a credit card from HSBC in the US with no problem. In fact I didn't even ask for one, I went in about something else, gave them my UK account number and they told me I qualified for a card with a $4k credit limit. I had no credit history out here at the time
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:04 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HSBC
If you have been our customer for 12 months or more, we can provide you access to credit facilities at similar levels as you currently enjoy in the UK, subject to a maximum of US $5,000 (subject to status, local laws and terms and conditions)
Not the highest of credit limits. That and the 12 month qualifying period suggests to me that AMEX is still the top choice.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Swisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud of

if you qualify for HSBC Premier, neither the GBP100 fee, nor the USD5000 limit are applied.....
Old Apr 29th 2009, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of

HSBC called me and said it wasnt worth me spending the hundred pounds, as I would be able to walk into any HSBC branch in the US and open a bank account and indeed i did, along with a credit card with suitably healthy credit limit. I dont really think the hundred quid is worth it but I suppose it can make it easier if...well if you don't like spending 30 mins at a US bank opening an account yourself.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Not the highest of credit limits. That and the 12 month qualifying period suggests to me that AMEX is still the top choice.
Agreed.....opened a UK Amex account a few months before moving, moved to USA, once you have an SSN they will open a US-based card account for you.

They gave me a $10k credit limit right off the bat.