Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opening bank account - IRS doesn't believe our reason for US address is sufficient!

Opening bank account - IRS doesn't believe our reason for US address is sufficient!

Old May 24th 2013, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening bank account - IRS doesn't believe our reason for US address is sufficien

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, it's all very weird. Had a friend who got laid off, the company finance department had already done payroll so they got paid.

Couple of days later the company pulled the money back because the company then decided they didn't want to pay accrued holiday etc.

Some folks who found out that the money was getting pulled back closed their accounts to try and stop it. The banks still pulled the money and billed the folks later for running a over draft and those who didn't pay it back got debt collectors sent after them.

As for the OP, they just need to do a W9 and should be good to go. Person at the bank was probably trying to be helpful, hearing a johnny foreigner, without realising the OP was considered resident for tax purposes.
Anyone is allowed to put a stop payment on a check and a direct deposit is the same as a check.
Old May 24th 2013, 8:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening bank account - IRS doesn't believe our reason for US address is sufficien

Originally Posted by Michael
Anyone is allowed to put a stop payment on a check and a direct deposit is the same as a check.
Aye, a stop payment in error or what not. Bit naughty to do it once the money has cleared and then changing your mind about paying severance of accrued holiday allowance and pulling the whole sum of money back though.
Old May 24th 2013, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, a stop payment in error or what not. Bit naughty to do it once the money has cleared and then changing your mind about paying severance of accrued holiday allowance and pulling the whole sum of money back though.
But people buy from retailers and then stop payment just to save money knowing that they retailer will not likely spend the effort to try to collect. Neither is very honorable.
Old May 25th 2013, 3:11 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is a contractor, and every single company she has contracted through has presented her with the same direct deposit form. It basically says that the contracting agency has the right to make deposits and unspecified withdrawals to and from our business account. It specifically states that the amounts withdrawn may exceed the amount deposited. I cannot imagine any circumstance where that would be acceptable, so we have always refused to sign it, meaning we have to receive payments by check, which is a PITA, but better than signing something which gives a 3rd party unlimited access to our account....
Old May 25th 2013, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
My wife is a contractor, and every single company she has contracted through has presented her with the same direct deposit form. It basically says that the contracting agency has the right to make deposits and unspecified withdrawals to and from our business account. It specifically states that the amounts withdrawn may exceed the amount deposited. I cannot imagine any circumstance where that would be acceptable, so we have always refused to sign it, meaning we have to receive payments by check, which is a PITA, but better than signing something which gives a 3rd party unlimited access to our account....
This is going to make me pull out the direct deposit form I just signed for my contracting company, and read the fine print. I was not aware of this, and it pisses me off no end. May just have to cancel the direct deposit if my form says the same.