Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opening a Bank Account

Opening a Bank Account

Old Nov 18th 2009, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Opening a Bank Account

Despite the fact I got lost on my last attempt at getting to the bank, I blame the Sat Nav for that, I got there today and in about 20 minutes I managed to open a checking account with Chase.

All I was asked to show was 2 forms of ID, 1 to have a photo and 1 to show address. I used passport and a copy of the lease agreement for our apartment. I was asked a few questions like how much I would usually have in the account, how much approximately I would spend each month and if I would use a debit card. Luckily I already had a SSN from when I was a exchange student in 1994 so I showed my marriage certificate to confirm the name change. (I have contacted the Social Security Administration to have my records changed to show my married name. I won't get a new card as I am here on a H4 visa). I used my UK bank card to pay in an opening deposit of $100 (my choice) and I was given a check book with 8 checks in it. I have since gone onto the Chase website and ordered some personalised checks which should be with me in about 14 days. I was told my bank card will be with me in 4-7 days. The account I have is a rewards account so if I choose credit over debit when paying for stuff I will accrue points that can be redeemed against stuff. I am still getting my head around the fact when you pay for stuff you have to choose credit or debit.

I don't like banks and the less time I have to spend in them the better. I am just glad that I now have an account and can start to build a credit rating of some description. I know it will take ages to get a decent credit score but I have taken the first step!
Old Nov 18th 2009, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a Bank Account

When I first got check books from Chase it took them 3 attempts to get the account names correct on them
And then I've only used about 3 checks in 2 years
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

UrsTX is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by SarahG
I am still getting my head around the fact when you pay for stuff you have to choose credit or debit.
Just FYI: Many stores in the US try to make it difficult for you to use credit - a lot of them prompt you immediately to "enter your PIN" and you actually have to press cancel at that point if you want to use credit. It's a way for them to shift the cost of the transaction back to you. Feel comfortable saying to the person at the counter "I want to pay with credit" if you can't figure out how to cancel it.

On the flip side, a small business (like a mom and pop bakery) will actually lose money if you pay for a $5.00 or less transaction with "credit" (because of the fees visa and mastercard charge them for processing) but will not lose anything if you use debit - I often use debit in that situation to save the business money.

Congrats on the new account!
Old Nov 19th 2009, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I am still getting my head around the fact when you pay for stuff you have to choose credit or debit.
I would always choose credit. It comes straight out of your account just like it would if you pick debit, but oftentimes your purchases have better protection if you pick 'credit'. (Or at least that's what I've always been told!)
Old Nov 19th 2009, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I asked husband about it when he came home and he says he always chooses credit as that is the only way to collect the 'reward points'. When I went on the Chase website and was looking round at what I could do there, there was an option for I think changing the PIN for the bank card and I clicked it to see what would happen (I figured I could always press cancel!) and it asked me to choose which card I wanted to do something to. There were 2 choices, it showed the last 4 numbers of 2 different cards. Surely there should only have been 1. Unless I am getting 2 cards for some reason but I am not sure why!
Old Nov 20th 2009, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Despite the fact I got lost on my last attempt at getting to the bank, I blame the Sat Nav for that, I got there today and in about 20 minutes I managed to open a checking account with Chase.

All I was asked to show was 2 forms of ID, 1 to have a photo and 1 to show address. I used passport and a copy of the lease agreement for our apartment. I was asked a few questions like how much I would usually have in the account, how much approximately I would spend each month and if I would use a debit card. Luckily I already had a SSN from when I was a exchange student in 1994 so I showed my marriage certificate to confirm the name change. (I have contacted the Social Security Administration to have my records changed to show my married name. I won't get a new card as I am here on a H4 visa). I used my UK bank card to pay in an opening deposit of $100 (my choice) and I was given a check book with 8 checks in it. I have since gone onto the Chase website and ordered some personalised checks which should be with me in about 14 days. I was told my bank card will be with me in 4-7 days. The account I have is a rewards account so if I choose credit over debit when paying for stuff I will accrue points that can be redeemed against stuff. I am still getting my head around the fact when you pay for stuff you have to choose credit or debit.

I don't like banks and the less time I have to spend in them the better. I am just glad that I now have an account and can start to build a credit rating of some description. I know it will take ages to get a decent credit score but I have taken the first step!
Unfortunately a debit card whether used as a credit or debit card does not build up credit. Since all transactions are debit, the bank only reports your account to the credit bureaus if you default on the account.

You will need a credit card to build up credit. Unfortunately it is difficult to get a credit card without credit but it may be possible for your husband to get a credit card if he has a high salary and you a co-owner or authorized user. Your husband may possibly get a credit card (but not guaranteed) from the following site by checking "Limited History".

http://www.capitalone.com/creditcard..._H1_03_T_CCPCP

You can check your credit for free annually for each of the 3 credit bureaus from the following site.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

paulinespens will become famous soon enoughpaulinespens will become famous soon enough

Did you get your free $100 with Chase for opening the account?
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paulinespens
Did you get your free $100 with Chase for opening the account?
No. How do I get that? I like the sound of that though!
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 1:54 am
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light

I opened an account with the Bank of Texas a couple of days ago and all I needed was my passport and UK drivers lisence. Can't get a credit card till I have my ssn, and that takes 4 weeks to come through they tell me.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 2:46 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on the Chase branch on what ID they want. I have had an account at Chase for years. When we went to open a joint account they insisted on two forms of picture ID and two pieces of mail . My husband had only brought his passport to the bank and then had to go back to our apartment to get his UK licence. We spoke to a supervisor about this and she said it was to prevent fraud. This was in Manhattan.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 3:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I asked husband about it when he came home and he says he always chooses credit as that is the only way to collect the 'reward points'. When I went on the Chase website and was looking round at what I could do there, there was an option for I think changing the PIN for the bank card and I clicked it to see what would happen (I figured I could always press cancel!) and it asked me to choose which card I wanted to do something to. There were 2 choices, it showed the last 4 numbers of 2 different cards. Surely there should only have been 1. Unless I am getting 2 cards for some reason but I am not sure why!
Did they give you a temporary debit card? I don't know whether Chase still do this but they used to give you a temp debit card to use until the official one arrives. Our new debit cards took almost 3 weeks to arrive.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

paulinespens will become famous soon enoughpaulinespens will become famous soon enough

No. How do I get that? I like the sound of that though!
Ask the person who opened your account. They sent us a flyer in the mail saying you can get $100 for opening an account. Ive also seen it on there website.

I only opened an acc with chase cause we have our car payment with them and it was easier for me to pay online with a chase checking account.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 5:05 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Did they give you a temporary debit card? I don't know whether Chase still do this but they used to give you a temp debit card to use until the official one arrives. Our new debit cards took almost 3 weeks to arrive.
They did give us temporayt cards so we would have access to the ccounts immediately. The permanent cards arrived about a week later. Also when we opened the account he was considered a non resident since he came over on a K1 and didn't have his greencard yet. We went in to change his account to resident a few months after he got his card. Everyone should make sure to do that. Especially for tax purposes
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 5:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
They did give us temporayt cards so we would have access to the ccounts immediately. The permanent cards arrived about a week later. Also when we opened the account he was considered a non resident since he came over on a K1 and didn't have his greencard yet. We went in to change his account to resident a few months after he got his card. Everyone should make sure to do that. Especially for tax purposes
I was wondering if this is why SarahG saw two card numbers when she accessed the account online.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

msfi is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for the derail, any banks that require SSN but not proof of US address?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.