Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opening bank account

Opening bank account

Old Oct 17th 2009, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really nice
Default Opening bank account

Moving to USA tomorrow on my IR-1 visa.
Im taking $7000 cash with me, after googling, some people claim they opened a bank account without there social security number, some people say they wasnt allowed. I dont want $7000 layin around the in-laws place, anyone care to share recent experiences, will be opening with capital one, cheers
Old Oct 17th 2009, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really niceTonyuk is just really nice
Default Re: Opening bank account

probably should of asked about employment too, ta
Old Oct 17th 2009, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all

Sorry I don't know the answer but would you feel comfortable asking your in-laws to deposit it into their account until you get your account sorted. I don't think the SSN takes to long to get or if your wife is American maybe she can open an account in her name only and then add you after you get your SSN.

Whereabouts in the US are you headed?
Old Oct 17th 2009, 1:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tonyuk
probably should of asked about employment too, ta
You will be employment authorized from Day 1 in the USA. Many employers will want to see your SSN, but you CAN get hired without it.

As for the banking, you'll just have to check with Capital One and see what their policy is. In general, you shouldn't need a SSN to open a bank account. My husband had no problem opening one at Wells Fargo without his SSN. If the bank gives you a hard time about it, and you don't want to switch banks, the other ideas here are good...have your wife or in-laws deposit it to their existing account somewhere until you have your own account.

Rene

Rene
Old Oct 17th 2009, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

celebfail will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You will be employment authorized from Day 1 in the USA. Many employers will want to see your SSN, but you CAN get hired without it.

As for the banking, you'll just have to check with Capital One and see what their policy is. In general, you shouldn't need a SSN to open a bank account. My husband had no problem opening one at Wells Fargo without his SSN. If the bank gives you a hard time about it, and you don't want to switch banks, the other ideas here are good...have your wife or in-laws deposit it to their existing account somewhere until you have your own account.

Rene

Rene
I just opened an account with Chase back with just my passport and driving license
Old Oct 17th 2009, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene

Rene
Mother-in-law is a thief, literally she scams people and before i met my wife she use to take most of her wages, id rather go and give my money to charity than her lol. And thanks for the other tips, bank isnt so important what company just capital one is only half a mile from house so would of been easiest, thanks for replies everyone much appreciated
Old Oct 17th 2009, 2:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Mother-in-law is a thief, literally she scams people and before i met my wife she use to take most of her wages, id rather go and give my money to charity than her lol. And thanks for the other tips, bank isnt so important what company just capital one is only half a mile from house so would of been easiest, thanks for replies everyone much appreciated

Is your wife a theft as well?

She's a USC and has a ssn ... open an account with her and put the money there.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celebfail
I just opened an account with Chase back with just my passport and driving license
Hi,

That's interesting. Was that your UK driver's licence or US one?
Old Oct 17th 2009, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... some people claim they opened a bank account without there social security number, some people say they wasnt allowed.
Having a SSN is not a requirement for opening a bank account, although many banks don't seem to understand that. If the bank teller says no, ask to speak to the bank manager. It wouldn't hurt to have the money in your hand and explain that you can easily walk to the bank next door and put your money there instead of here. That'll likely twig a positive response. As much as I hate to say it... this is the US - and money talks!

Ian
Old Oct 17th 2009, 3:41 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

As long as the account is a non-interest account.

If the account pays interest the bank needs a SSN or an ITIN to report the earnings to the IRS.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Having a SSN is not a requirement for opening a bank account, although many banks don't seem to understand that.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 3:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Moving to USA tomorrow on my IR-1 visa.
Im taking $7000 cash with me, after googling, some people claim they opened a bank account without there social security number, some people say they wasnt allowed. I dont want $7000 layin around the in-laws place, anyone care to share recent experiences, will be opening with capital one, cheers
You're not taking cash are you?
Hopefully you are leaving a UK bank account open and can pre arrange transfers; that might be best, and then call for the transfer once you have an account?

I'm moving your thread to the US forum where the banking questions usually are; people may have more ideas for you.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

I have cash, and thanks ian, i was going to open the capital one interest account for always having $5000 minimum i guess what i will do is open a non interest account, put the money in there once my SSN comes ill open a new one online and do a transfer, thanks
Old Oct 17th 2009, 4:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I have cash, and thanks ian, i was going to open the capital one interest account for always having $5000 minimum i guess what i will do is open a non interest account, put the money in there once my SSN comes ill open a new one online and do a transfer, thanks
You can bring it in a bank draft or traveller's cheques..
Old Oct 17th 2009, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

After ive already converted it into dollars?
Old Oct 17th 2009, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

paul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by celebfail
Me too with Chase - with my passport and a UK credit card. I think they opened it as a 'non-resident' account, when I had my SSN I went in and they updated it to resident with the SSN.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.