Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Opening $US account in U.K.

Wikiposts

Opening $US account in U.K.

Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:35 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Opening $US account in U.K.

What experience have any of yuo had with opening a $US account in the U.K., while living in the U.S.?

I know people (including me) have had trouble opening regular checking/current accounts in the UK while living here. But what about $US accounts?

I bank with Barclays, who I believe have the facility for a $US account. Is this the kind of thing I could do via a letter? I won't be going home for a while, and I need to open it within the next few weeks/months. Tired of messing with bouncing exchange rates when sending money home and want to have it sitting in a $US account at home for the moment.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:47 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Opening $US account in U.K.

Originally Posted by dunroving
What experience have any of yuo had with opening a $US account in the U.K., while living in the U.S.?

I know people (including me) have had trouble opening regular checking/current accounts in the UK while living here. But what about $US accounts?

I bank with Barclays, who I believe have the facility for a $US account. Is this the kind of thing I could do via a letter? I won't be going home for a while, and I need to open it within the next few weeks/months. Tired of messing with bouncing exchange rates when sending money home and want to have it sitting in a $US account at home for the moment.
Since you're not living in the UK (yet) you just need to open a current account with an offshore bank in the Isle of Man, Jersey or Guernsey. When you move back to the UK you just transfer the account to a convenient local branch.

We bank with the Lloyds TSB Overseas Club in the Isle of Man and it operates exactly the same as a usual current account with a combined Cashpoint (ATM) and Visa credit card, cheque book and telephone banking. Ours is a current account in sterling but you can also have an account in US$ or Euros.

http://www.lloydstsb-offshore.com/Ex...ling+USD+Euro/

(It also informs you how to open an account...it's not difficult at all )

Virtually all the well-known British banks and building societies have branches on the Isle of Man or/and the Channel Isles and they operate just the same as on the mainland, with the exception that any money you deposit which was not earned/derived in the British mainland is not subjected to tax by the Inland Revenue. Many of these banks also offer accounts in US$ and Euros too. If you go to this website, go to the 'Advertisers & Links' index and in the drop down column you will find lots of links to the various offshore banks and b/s:

http://www.expatinvestor.com

Hope this helps!
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:49 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening $US account in U.K.

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Since you're not living in the UK (yet) you just need to open a current account with an offshore bank in the Isle of Man, Jersey or Guernsey. When you move back to the UK you just transfer the account to a convenient local branch.

We bank with the Lloyds TSB Overseas Club in the Isle of Man and it operates exactly the same as a usual current account with a combined Cashpoint (ATM) and Visa credit card, cheque book and telephone banking. Ours is a current account in sterling but you can also have an account in US$ or Euros.

http://www.lloydstsb-offshore.com/Ex...ling+USD+Euro/

(It also informs you how to open an account...it's not difficult at all )

Virtually all the well-known British banks and building societies have branches on the Isle of Man or/and the Channel Isles and they operate just the same as on the mainland, with the exception that any money you deposit which was not earned/derived in the British mainland is not subjected to tax by the Inland Revenue. Many of these banks also offer accounts in US$ and Euros too. If you go to this website, go to the 'Advertisers & Links' index and in the drop down column you will find lots of links to the various offshore banks and b/s:

http://www.expatinvestor.com

Hope this helps!
I just knew you'd know the answer to my question!

Thanks!

d.