Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Oooh Sir, Suits you Sir!

Oooh Sir, Suits you Sir!

Old Apr 21st 2004, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default Oooh Sir, Suits you Sir!

Do city workers or rather office workers wear shirt, tie and suits in the hot summer months in the South?
I realise that they will all be freezing if anything from the A/C but just wanted to know whether the office will be full of 'Suits' like in London or if it's more common to see professionals in short sleeved shirts and no tie.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 5:26 pm
Carrot Cruncher

pilgrim22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends on what line of work you do... if you're in sales or deal with customers a lot face-to-face, suit and tie is the norm. But the people who work in the trenches (cube farms) are mostly "business casual", which itself has a variety of meanings. I work in IT and most cube farms i've worked at have been business casual, i.e. Dockers (Chinos) and a decent golf-shirt or T-shirt with collar. Some places are totally casual, i.e. wear what you want, within reason, although where my father-in-law works, they wear whatever they want whether reasonable or not (flip-flops, shorts in the summer). But this seems to be the exception rather than the norm... they are "creative" people after all!

p22
Old Apr 21st 2004, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

I work in an office where we have no dress codes... wear whatever you want is the basic policy... at any time..

I tend to go to work in a pair of shorts and a tshirt... flipflops ... no thanks... but some do.

oh.. I work in computer games.. so we too are considered "creative types"
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 2:22 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oooh Sir, Suits you Sir!

Originally posted by whatever
Do city workers or rather office workers wear shirt, tie and suits in the hot summer months in the South?
I realise that they will all be freezing if anything from the A/C but just wanted to know whether the office will be full of 'Suits' like in London or if it's more common to see professionals in short sleeved shirts and no tie.
My spouse works for a global IT company in RTP (Research Triangle Park) and his is the only location in the US that allows employees (non-customer facing of course) to wear shorts and sandals in the summer. Even the location in Austin, TX doesn't have that policy.

On the flip side, when I worked for the same company's smaller London office, an American colleague of mine used to come dressed in shorts in the summer!
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 2:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Do city workers or rather office workers wear shirt, tie and suits in the hot summer months in the South? .....
My employer allows business casual year round, but the policy is fairly strict no jeans, no sneakers, no shorts, no sandals, no shirts without collars, etc.

Within the policy there is a fairly wide degree of variation, with some dressed more like they are preparing to work in the yard and others are much more professional in appearance. I, for example, rarely wear a suit, but usually wear a shirt that could be worn with a tie, but I don't wear one.

I don't know whether its typical at my employer, but there are clearly some people that aren't savvy enough to realize that staying "within policy" is not enough - "dressing to impress" still makes a difference with the bosses.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 1:06 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by USBound
I work in an office where we have no dress codes... wear whatever you want is the basic policy... at any time..

I tend to go to work in a pair of shorts and a tshirt... flipflops ... no thanks... but some do.

oh.. I work in computer games.. so we too are considered "creative types"
Whereabouts in the South do you work?
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not too up on the geography of this place yet... ie what is considered south... but its not far from LA why?
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 4:14 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally posted by USBound
I'm not too up on the geography of this place yet... ie what is considered south... but its not far from LA why?
Is that LA, Louisiana or LA in CA?

If it's the latter then you're not considered as being in the South. I was just trying to put your response in context to the OP who was asking about working dress codes in the South.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

LA, California... ahh.. I am now more knowledgeable...

thanks
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

Also living in Los Angeles, I can wear anything I like to work, but I too am in the 'arty' field - a fashion showroom and the Museum of Contemporary Art, My wife works at a dotcom and it seems very laisez faire over there too. Brother-in-law is a lawyer and wears khakis and polo shirt without complaint.

JAMES
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I work in a dotcom and we can wear whatever we want, except for open-toed, open-heeled shoes and no shoes with heels either. Other than that, whatever you want. The General Manager usually wears shorts, polo shirt and sneakers. I usually go in jeans and a t-shirt. Since there's no A/C in the building (large warehouse essentially), we'd have everyone dropping over from heat exhaustion if they had to wear jeans/pants/trousers year round.