Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

It only took 8 weeks

It only took 8 weeks

Old Feb 24th 2008, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of
Default It only took 8 weeks

But I have just gotten my first speeding ticket.

There I was driving back from Houston to Dallas at 10PM, there were no cars on the road and I had been on cruise control for over an hour (I love that control) and then suddenly blue lights in my rear view mirror. :curse:

Apparently he must of been hidden on the dark road and had no lights on himself and clocked my at 89 in a 70 (although they reduce the speed limit at night to 65)

My UK Driving licence REALLY confused him and he couldn't even work out my DOB cause it is reversed - lol.

Anyway I got a ticket for over $200 - grrrrr - My brother in law has won the bet that he made with me when I arrived, saying I would get a ticket within 12 weeks of arriving!!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:05 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It only took 8 weeks

Originally Posted by Jmaster911

There I was driving back from Houston to Dallas at 10PM, there were no cars on the road and I had been on cruise control for over an hour (I love that control) and then suddenly blue lights in my rear view mirror. :curse:

Apparently he must of been hidden on the dark road and had no lights on himself and clocked my at 89 in a 70 (although they reduce the speed limit at night to 65)

My UK Driving licence REALLY confused him and he couldn't even work out my DOB cause it is reversed - lol.

Anyway I got a ticket for over $200 - grrrrr - My brother in law has won the bet that he made with me when I arrived, saying I would get a ticket within 12 weeks of arriving!!

Remember to file the paperwork -- you'll need it for your naturalization application.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: It only took 8 weeks

In other words......you were doing 89mph in a 65mph zone. You're not going to get any sympathy here.

You're pissing and moaning about $200......count yourself lucky that the Cop didn't throw your ass in the slammer.

Jim.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
In other words......you were doing 89mph in a 65mph zone. You're not going to get any sympathy here.

You're pissing and moaning about $200......count yourself lucky that the Cop didn't throw your ass in the slammer.

Jim.
oohhhh who rattled your cage - I'm not complaining, I'm just posting something that happened to me and NO I'm not looking for sympathy.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Remember to file the paperwork -- you'll need it for your naturalization application.
Not sure I understand you here - All he gave me was a white piece of paper which lets me post the fine to the judge, Is this what you mean about paperwork?
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Brav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to all

Not sure I understand you here - All he gave me was a white piece of paper which lets me post the fine to the judge, Is this what you mean about paperwork?
You'll go to court, stand before judge, plead either guilty, not guilty or no contest. If you plead not guilty or no contest then you'll go to the court clerk, pay for the citation, and you'll generally get some sort of paper for reference. I'd assume he means that.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brav
You'll go to court, stand before judge, plead either guilty, not guilty or no contest. If you plead not guilty or no contest then you'll go to the court clerk, pay for the citation, and you'll generally get some sort of paper for reference. I'd assume he means that.
He said I could do everything by mail so I assume they will send me some paperwork back once the check clears
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:01 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Fatbrit is referring to the fact that a speeding ticket for anything more than 15 mph over the speed limit will prevent you from getting a Green Card or US citizenship.

He was just kidding, of course ...
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dunroving
Fatbrit is referring to the fact that a speeding ticket for anything more than 15 mph over the speed limit will prevent you from getting a Green Card or US citizenship.
You had me for a second - lol
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:19 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Ignore the holier-than-thou driving brigade. It does stink when this happens, especially on a deserted road. The police round here will nab you for just a couple of mph over the limit but cheerfully turn a blind eye to the incorrect lane usage, lane changing without signaling, horrific tailgating and other assorted stunts that drivers pull.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tonrob
Ignore the holier-than-thou driving brigade. It does stink when this happens, especially on a deserted road. The police round here will nab you for just a couple of mph over the limit but cheerfully turn a blind eye to the incorrect lane usage, lane changing without signaling, horrific tailgating and other assorted stunts that drivers pull.
I agree, some of the driving I have seen over here is just awful. Me going 20+MPH over the limit on a deserted road should be the least of thier worries. I guess I have learned one thing, traffic cops in the US are more common than in the UK - me thinks a radar detector is on the shopping list
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Get a radar detector... cheap as chips here, i paid $30 for mine and its saved my arse twice in the last 4 weeks! Well worth it!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by basementwaj
Get a radar detector... cheap as chips here, i paid $30 for mine and its saved my arse twice in the last 4 weeks! Well worth it!
Is it worth getting a radar AND Laser detector (all in one unit)?
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Ignore the holier-than-thou driving brigade.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1848525/posts

Speed Cameras coming to Texas!

Jim.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:31 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

When/if you get to naturalization, you'll need to list all your offences (including motoring) and show you've dealt with them. What paperwork you collect is up to you, but it's easier to do it now than down the line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.