Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

It only took 2 years!

Wikiposts

It only took 2 years!

Old Feb 6th 2005, 5:04 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It only took 2 years!

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
He went into his whole speech in mexican, and made it impossible for me to get a word in. When he finished, I informed him that I'm English and didn't speak mexican, and then promptly hung the phone up.
He was speaking Mexican? Oh, the irony.

~ Jenney
Old Feb 6th 2005, 5:29 am
Home Sick for Blighty

Roadhog is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: It only took 2 years!

He he he ha ha ha. Oh have we have two countries separated by a common (not so common) language.

In my company we brought in quite a few Brit contractors for some software we purchased, and guess what happenned. Yes, one of them went to the supply room and asked the girl for a rubber. Can you imagine the reaction! She was bright red when I walked in, and he didn't even know what the problem was. Once I explained things to him, boy was that gezzer embarassed?

Yep. Wadder from me seems to work about 60% of the time. Water is not in their vocabulary.

One of my sons was send to Speech Therapy too as they said he had a lisp. But some of the Mexicans in his class can hardly speek, period, but they don't get therapy. Is this discrimination? Perhaps I should sue, then I may be able to afford to go back to Blighty.

Sometimes, I think that if I was single and the say some of the women say "I really love your accent" I think I could have some "fun" here. But no, I am not single.

Gotta laugh though!

You should see their reactions with cockney slang "Need to talk to a chap on the dog n bone, then go up the apples". They haven't got a clue! That's the fun part. As someone else mentioned, you could almost call them anything.

Had a girl at work come up to be after watching a Brit Movie and wanted me to explain what "wanker" meant. After the hand gesture of the meaning, she was more than embarassed. But before hand I did ask that she didn't go running to HR! She didn't.

Have fun guys.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrandonBrit
I'm so glad I'm not the only person in this country that has trouble making themselves undeerstood going through a drive through When my kids were little I went through a Burger King and asked for a 'junior whopper and fries' and they thought I said 'two senior doctor peppers'!

Then the woman got all nasty with me and told me to pull round to the window as I couldn't speak English, therefore, she couldn't understand me! It's all very frustrating, now when I have to go through one, I make sure I have a person with an American accent in the car with me, make them lean over me and yell the order...
Haha, I can't believe it when they do this - I can never understand what the bloody hell those drive through people say either. It goes something like this:

You pull up to the drive thru: (Box) BaabababapabaBurger Kingbababpababa

(Me) Ill have a whopper meal please.
(Box) Bbababbbaapaba
(Me) Err yes, thats correct
(Box) bbaapababba
(Me) OK

Funnily enough, 9 out of 10 times I get the right stuff, at the right price. I just cannot be arsed arguing with those things!
Old Feb 6th 2005, 9:17 am
Home Sick for Blighty

Originally Posted by Dan725
Haha, I can't believe it when they do this - I can never understand what the bloody hell those drive through people say either. It goes something like this:

You pull up to the drive thru: (Box) BaabababapabaBurger Kingbababpababa

(Me) Ill have a whopper meal please.
(Box) Bbababbbaapaba
(Me) Err yes, thats correct
(Box) bbaapababba
(Me) OK

Funnily enough, 9 out of 10 times I get the right stuff, at the right price. I just cannot be arsed arguing with those things!
Yes, I think those boxes are designed to be confusing on the customer end, but the other end is probably fairly clear. It is probably on that they have the volume turned up full and it becomes distorted.

We seem to be ok with Burger Sling (King), but Wendy's seem to get it wrong 90% of the time. They either leave things out that we pay for, or give us the wrong stuff.

I complained to Wendy's corporate office once, via email, and they sent me vouchers to get more wrong food. Still at least we didn't have to pay for it.
Old Feb 6th 2005, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think the trick is to keep it simple - when my wife starts on about holding the onions, a little bit of mayo etc etc etc, I won't say it, and make her do the order! I've tried before, but I just end up getting frustrated talking to the stupid box, and like I said, I just really can't be arsed! It helps that Im not picky and can generally eat what they give me Its not exactly gourmet food at those places
Old Feb 6th 2005, 9:32 am
Home Sick for Blighty

Yes, I think the trick is to keep it simple - when my wife starts on about holding the onions, a little bit of mayo etc etc etc, I won't say it, and make her do the order! I've tried before, but I just end up getting frustrated talking to the stupid box, and like I said, I just really can't be arsed! It helps that Im not picky and can generally eat what they give me Its not exactly gourmet food at those places
Very true. I am not even sure you can call it food sometimes. ;-)
Old Feb 6th 2005, 9:58 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Bizarrely my American husband finds it almost impossible to get the right order at DD but they always get it right when I order.
Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:28 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

My husband needs to learn that trick! He went into Arby's and ordered a BLT, "light on the mayo please" The server gave him a blank look, so he said it again... and again, then finally got the message through by asking for "just a little bit of mayo please" "Oh, right" she said, then turned around and shouted the order through to the kitchen "BLT, light on the mayo" WTF!!!
Old Feb 7th 2005, 9:31 am
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future

LOL, I was thinking the same exact thing

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
He was speaking Mexican? Oh, the irony.

~ Jenney