Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

It only took 2 years!

Wikiposts

It only took 2 years!

Old Feb 4th 2005, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It only took 2 years!

Originally Posted by Jabba1
You should straighten those poor bastards out and inform them that your stupidity has nothing to do with the fact that your forgein. That'll learn' em.
LOL

A while back a woman at work at me if we speak dutch in england and in the last month I have been asked twice if I am German... and they think I am the stupid one

Ash
Old Feb 4th 2005, 10:31 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here a long time, and I still can't ask for a bottle of water without people saying "what?", "you want what?", "what?".
Old Feb 4th 2005, 10:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I've been here a long time, and I still can't ask for a bottle of water without people saying "what?", "you want what?", "what?".
Yes, funny how in the South here they're so into politeness, but if they don't understand you they say "WHAT NOW?????" (usually with a cross look on their faces). Don't think saying "What?" is seen as being rude - I'd get a right look from the grown-ups if I said that in my day.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

greasehog is on a distinguished road

I asked for a packet of marlboro reds in a petrol station once and the woman looked at me as if i was mad! 3 times i asked and pointed to what i wanted and she still didn't understand!
Another time i was talking to a women she looked at me blankly and i turned to my partner and said " she didn't understand a word i said did she? In the end i had to speak very very slowly like some sort of idiot.
You can say anything you like to them sometimes and they haven't got a clue
Old Feb 5th 2005, 12:54 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
That's the one that I always get stuck with. Even when I pronounce it "wadder" they just don't get it.

The Dunkin Donuts drive through, sorry thru, is hell trying to get my latte in the morning. If I'm out with Mr Sibsie and try to order something, or ask for something in a shop, or really do any sort of talking, I just get greeted with blank stares, then they look to him and he translates it for me.

I get told to "talk English" all the time. I always tell them that the clue is in the fact that it's called English and when they start calling their language American, then they can come back to me and start having a go.

It does have its advantages though. You can happily call someone a total wanking git faced tosser and they have no idea if you've just insulted or complimented them.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

I just get told to keep on talking because' it is so cute' or 'love to hear that accent'. The only person who has trouble understanding me is my wife. I recently had to explain what a brew up was. Oh well,----
Old Feb 5th 2005, 1:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
It does have its advantages though. You can happily call someone a total wanking git faced tosser and they have no idea if you've just insulted or complimented them.
total minging slapper 'ho works wonders too....said with a smile at a bar
Old Feb 5th 2005, 2:40 am
Cuppa tea and a biccie !!

Tracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sibsie
"Hey girl, can I get an umbrella and no ice in that ?"
Old Feb 5th 2005, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greasehog
I asked for a packet of marlboro reds in a petrol station once and the woman looked at me as if i was mad! 3 times i asked and pointed to what i wanted and she still didn't understand!

Have you seen the price of a pack of Marlboro's lately? She probably understood exactly what you were asking for.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

DebraJulia is a jewel in the roughDebraJulia is a jewel in the roughDebraJulia is a jewel in the roughDebraJulia is a jewel in the roughDebraJulia is a jewel in the rough

Try going into the local video store and asking for the film Reservoir Dogs .. took at least 10 attempts before the prat understood me. I get it all the time! My kid's school wanted to put my children through speech therapy because they said they wasn't pronouncing their words correctly! Flipping cheek, so if a child doesn't talk with an American accent, hey they must need therapy right? Crazy!
Old Feb 5th 2005, 3:11 pm
Home Sick for Blighty

Roadhog is an unknown quantity at this point

He he he. Reading these reminds me of why I want to move back to the UK.

I quite often get "I love your accent are you from Aus?" Grrrr! Why oh why do these Yanks confuse a London Brit accent for Aus? Nothing alike if you ask me.

I too get those who try to copy the accent. I just go into the Cockney London slang, and they have no idea what I am saying.

I also get those who feel that there is still a war between the England and Americans..... We kicked your butts with the Indepentance, and oh, don't forget the tea in the harbour. Apart from the fact they don't even know their own history, what they have of it, they have no idea on the Brits, and the majority of those I have met, don't even plan on travelling outside of the state, but out of the country.... Never.

Thanks for the laugh, and letting me rant too.
Colin.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 4:50 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

I got a telemarketing call today (even though we're supposed to be on the no-call list!), and the bloke on the other end somehow got it into his head that I was Mexican. He went into his whole speech in mexican, and made it impossible for me to get a word in. When he finished, I informed him that I'm English and didn't speak mexican, and then promptly hung the phone up.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 6:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
I got a telemarketing call today (even though we're supposed to be on the no-call list!)...
can make a complaint about that then and might be able to get some compensation if you've been on the do not call list for at least 3 months...

Last edited by Bob; Feb 5th 2005 at 6:32 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2005, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

greasehog is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jabba1
Have you seen the price of a pack of Marlboro's lately? She probably understood exactly what you were asking for.

Cheap compared to uk prices!
Must admit that most of them do like my accent whenever i get introduced to new people i get asked to say something?? I've been asked if i'm French and australian.
Had i bit of a shock tho when someone asked me if i was russian???? Hehe!
Old Feb 6th 2005, 4:54 am
Just Joined

mross2514 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does all this not make any of you want to go back home to some normality.

Is it really worth taking this for the rest of your life.

I come from an area of Scotland that has a high population of Americans working in the oil industry and I can never remember them getting treated the way they treat us here. I certainly don't remember anyone making fun of what they said as is so often the case here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.