Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Only in Texas....

Only in Texas....

Old Dec 13th 2004, 2:45 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Only in Texas....

From Ananova:

A Texan hunter wants to give computer gamers the chance to kill things for real with the click of a mouse. John Lockwood has already hooked up guns to the internet to let people shoot targets on his Texas ranch.

Now he wants to let fans shoot live game through his website, http://www.live-shot.com, reports the New York Post. Mr Lockwood intends to have the remote hunts running early next year with virtual hunters paying up to £40 an hour. They will be be able to use their computer mouse to operate a camera and rifle pointed at a game feeder set up to attract animals.

Hunters would have to pay more if they kill an animal - up to £1,000 for a buck deer, although there is no guarantee they will see any game. "I've gotten hate mail calling me a sick, despicable redneck," said Lockwood. "But the technology for hunters keeps evolving, from bowhunting to high-powered rifles. This is just another step forward, another tactical advantage."

:scared:

The video is kind of cool though
Old Dec 13th 2004, 4:55 am
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Only in Texas....

I'd sign up if he stuck some antlers on his head, went out there and let us take pot shots at his redneck arse.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 2:34 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

While I have never understood the lust to kill, I've always accepted deer hunting because the population is out of control here in Texas. Nearly all of their natural predators were eliminated by cattle ranchers, and kindly feeding by rural and suburban residents has added to the problem.

There is a need to cull the population to prevent starvation, and we've even sent some of the deer to Mexico where they are very welcome food.

But I'm wondering if this guy is going to run afoul of the law. There has been increasing outrage and legal questions about ranches which attract and then high-fence in deer, because deer are legally defined as the property of all the people of Texas and are supposed to roam free. Then there's the question of hunting licences, and what happens to deer who are wounded but not killed.

I don't know that this could happen only in Texas. Seems like there's such a thirst for 'real life' violence (eg watching hostage killing films on the 'Net) that who knows who else would come up with something similar?
Old Dec 13th 2004, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
From Ananova:

A Texan hunter wants to give computer gamers the chance to kill things for real with the click of a mouse. John Lockwood has already hooked up guns to the internet to let people shoot targets on his Texas ranch.

Now he wants to let fans shoot live game through his website, http://www.live-shot.com, reports the New York Post. Mr Lockwood intends to have the remote hunts running early next year with virtual hunters paying up to £40 an hour. They will be be able to use their computer mouse to operate a camera and rifle pointed at a game feeder set up to attract animals.

Hunters would have to pay more if they kill an animal - up to £1,000 for a buck deer, although there is no guarantee they will see any game. "I've gotten hate mail calling me a sick, despicable redneck," said Lockwood. "But the technology for hunters keeps evolving, from bowhunting to high-powered rifles. This is just another step forward, another tactical advantage."

:scared:

The video is kind of cool though

All I can say is FFS!!!!
Old Dec 13th 2004, 3:35 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
Hunters would have to pay more if they kill an animal - up to £1,000 for a buck deer, although there is no guarantee they will see any game. "I've gotten hate mail calling me a sick, despicable redneck," said Lockwood. "But the technology for hunters keeps evolving, from bowhunting to high-powered rifles. This is just another step forward, another tactical advantage."[/i]
So you have to paay more for a 'real' bullet? What exactly is it that you get for your 40 pounds? Blanks?
Old Dec 13th 2004, 4:29 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
So you have to paay more for a 'real' bullet? What exactly is it that you get for your 40 pounds? Blanks?
I think for $40 you get to shoot at a paper target.

The mischevous side of me thought, what is to stop you turning the gun 180 degrees and start shooting windows out of the house, or the tyres off the car? But apparantly there is someone on site who has a kind of presidential veto over the pressing of the button. Just wait for the day he nods off