Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Only if you have 10 mins...

Only if you have 10 mins...

Old Aug 26th 2012, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Only if you have 10 mins...

Hello, we went to a open house (single family home). It was bought by an investor few months back and he remodeled it entirely. We proceeded to ask inspection report and here is in extract.

We have always only looked at townhouses/condos so I have no idea how good or bad this is.

Appreciate any help. thx and sorry about the format.

Section 1 Items

1A. FINDING: There is fungus infected cellulose debris in earth contact in the substructure area.
(See Picture 1)
RECOMMENDATION:Remove the cellulose debris of a size that can be raked from the substructure area.
**********(SECTION 1 ITEM)**********

1B. FINDING: Subterranean termites were noted throughout the structure. (See Picture 6)
Chemically treat the entire structure at probable termite entry points for the control of Subterranean termites with Termidor SC ((Fipronil:5-amino-1-(2,6-dichloro-4-(trifluoromethyl) pheyl)-4-((1,8,5)-trifluoromethyl)sulfinyl)-1-H-pyrazole-3-carbonitrile and break down and brush away all subterranean termite migratory tubes. In conventional construction, this may include, but is not limited to, rodding or trenching the soil around the foundation walls, piers, and plumbing pipes in the subarea; rodding or trenching the soil around the exterior foundation; drilling attached slabs such as patios, porches, sidewalks, or driveways that abut the structure; drilling brick or stone veneer that extends below grade level; treating voids in the foundation walls or piers. The holes drilled into any concrete slab, while performing the treatments, will be plugged with mortar. It will be the owners responsibility to have these areas repaired to match the existing surfaces as desired. HomeGuard Inc. assumes no liability for any damage to concealed pipes, finished floors, tiles or bricks. NOTE: In order to perform this treatment the property must be vacant for the period during and 3 hours after the treatment has been completed. HomeGuard will use a ground fault device to hopefully prevent drilling through any pipes, conduit or electrical wiring however if this were to happen it will be the owners responsibility and expense to repair any damage done.
RECOMMENDATION:
**********(SECTION 1 ITEM)**********

Section 2 Items
NOTE: There is evidence of repairs by others to the subfloor and frame under the
bathrooms. Any guarantees for these repairs must be obtained from the persons or
firms performing the repairs. This note is for general information only.

2A. FINDING:Minor stress cracks were noted in the exterior stucco as indicated on the diagram.
Seal all cracks that are wider than 1/16 of an inch with a exterior grade paintable
sealant. If HomeGuard has supplied a bid for this item it does not include paint.
RECOMMENDATION:
**********(SECTION 2 ITEM)**********

2B. FINDING: The toilet in the master bathroom is loose or improperly mounted.
Reinstall the toilet correctly using a new no-seep toilet seal. If, upon removing the
toilet a cracked toilet or damaged toilet flange is revealed there would be additional
charges for a new toilet or repairs to the toilet flange.
RECOMMENDATION:

2C. FINDING: There is a gap between the tub spout and wall covering in the master bathroom tub
spout.
RECOMMENDATION:Secure and seal around the spout in the most practical way.

2D. FINDING: The toilet in the hall bathroom is loose or improperly mounted.
Reinstall the toilet correctly using a new no-seep toilet seal. If, upon removing the
toilet a cracked toilet or damaged toilet flange is revealed there would be additional
charges for a new toilet or repairs to the toilet flange.
RECOMMENDATION:

2E. FINDING: Some of the grout is loose or missing around the ceramic tile in the hall bathroom
tub walls.
Reseal the area in the most practical way. Owner to maintain in a water tight
condition.
RECOMMENDATION:

2F. FINDING: There is a gap between the tub spout and wall covering in the hall bathroom tub.
RECOMMENDATION:Secure and seal around the spout in the most practical way.

2G. FINDING: Some of the grout is loose or missing around the ceramic tile in the kitchen back
splash.
Reseal the area in the most practical way. Owner to maintain in a water tight
condition.
RECOMMENDATION:

2H. FINDING: There is a plumbing leak at the left hall bathroom sink drain.
RECOMMENDATION:Reseal or repair this leak in the most practical way.

2I. FINDING: There is a plumbing leak at the copper supply line under the house.
RECOMMENDATION:Reseal or repair this leak in the most practical way.

2J. FINDING: A disconnected heat duct was found in the substructure.
RECOMMENDATION:Repair this heat duct as needed.

2K. FINDING: Old water stains were noted to the subfloor and frame under the bathrooms
RECOMMENDATION:Periodic inspection.

Further Inspection Items

3A. FINDING: The area under the wooden deck is inaccessible for inspection due to a lack of
clearance. There is no outward indication of any wood damage in this area. In
order to conform to the Structural Pest Control Act this deck would have to be
accessible from underneath. (See Picture 1) (See Picture 2)
Further inspection recommended. Remove every fourth and fifth board to allow for
further inspection of the deck. All findings, recommendations, and bids will be
issued in a supplemental report.
RECOMMENDATION:
**********(FURTHER INSP ITEM)**********

3B. FINDING: This home was constructed without the use of a weep screed at the base of the
stucco. Although this was an accepted construction method it does create an area
that can allow subterranean termites to access the home without being detected.
This area can also allow condensation to build up and not drain properly. (See
Picture 2)
There is no evidence of any adverse condition at this time however if further
information is desired it will be necessary to install a series of test holes to allow for
further inspection. All findings recommendations and bids will be issued in a
supplemental report.
RECOMMENDATION:

3C. FINDING: The roof eaves at the area indicated on the diagram were found to be soffited.
There is no outward evidence of infestation or infection noted however this area is
concealed from view.
Remove enough of the material that is concealing this area to allow for further
inspection. All findings recommendations and bids will be issued in a supplemental
report.
RECOMMENDATION:

3D. FINDING: Portions of the subarea were noted to be inaccessible due to insufficient clearance
between the soil and the heating ducts. (See Picture 5)
Excavate trenches under the heating ducts to allow further inspection of these
areas. All findings, recommendations, and bids will be issued on a supplemental
report.
RECOMMENDATION:
NOTE: This property has recently been painted. We assume no responsibility for any infestations
or infections that may be concealed by this fresh paint.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Only if you have 10 mins...

I am no expert but I would go ahead and get a further inspection done of inaccessible areas as recommended, as it has been flipped the developer may have just covered over faults. Nothing else sounds too bad, the termites can be fumigated and maybe need to address issue 3B to improve this in the future.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

About to have our house treated for termites. Depending on size you could be talking 2k for 1B alone.

Sally you don't fumigate for subterranean termites. The treatment is as described dig a trench or drill holes if it is concrete and pump in termidor to form a barrier.

Last edited by sir_eccles; Aug 26th 2012 at 3:15 am.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

The seller going to take care of section 1 items. That's already on the sellers agent advert.

I hear of termites and I see like millions of them eating my house down. Scary as hell.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only View Post
The seller going to take care of section 1 items. That's already on the sellers agent advert.

I hear of termites and I see like millions of them eating my house down. Scary as hell.
As the guy said to me "you either have termites or you will in the future " thankfully subterranean termites are not usually the type to reduce a house to rubble in a few weeks as long as you treat them properly. You'll want to make sure they offer a transferable warranty for the treatment might be a couple of hundred for them to come out once a year to re- inspect and spot treat.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only View Post
Hello, we went to a open house (single family home). It was bought by an investor few months back and he remodeled it entirely. We proceeded to ask inspection report and here is in extract.

We have always only looked at townhouses/condos so I have no idea how good or bad this is.
Looks pretty typical to me for a California home inspection report.

Nothing looks particularly worrying - I wouldn't waste time on getting the inaccessible areas inspected unless you have some reason to suppose that there might be a problem - there are always inaccessible areas and unless you want the inspectors to literally rip the place to pieces and rebuild from the ground up you will never get to all of them.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles View Post
About to have our house treated for termites. Depending on size you could be talking 2k for 1B alone.

Sally you don't fumigate for subterranean termites. The treatment is as described dig a trench or drill holes if it is concrete and pump in termidor to form a barrier.
Ah right.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 10:40 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

In many states, a termite certification is going to be required by a lender. Setting termites aside, the report does give rise to a few questions... such as but not limited to -

1. When was that inspection done?? Was it the investor when he bought the place? 2. Anything and everything found, known, and done since then is bound to be subject to disclosure under adverse material facts and actual knowledge. (Don't mistake the inspection is to be taken as in lieu of what they know about the place) If you ever see on a disclosure "Do Not Know", esp as a flip... I'd be cautious. Its true that they may just don't know but I take the stance 'what, you bought a house w/o looking into a few things?!?! - surely you had an inspection done to indicate something regarding that object/area etc, which would fall under an area of a general home inspection. The phrase "Do Not Know" is often used as a fall safe against liability. Also, did the agent help that investor buy the property? Did they know of anything or anything? You could also try to find out who the previous listing agent was and see if they can shed insight on the property prior to the current investor buying it. Talk to the neighbors too. Anything and everything is hearsay but could produce info to follow up on. Inspect to your full satisfaction!!!

I personally think the reports warrants further probing and looking into; look at it that its just saying 'here's what has been observed' - it doesn't assure anything about the integrity and proficiency of repairs nor why it occurred in the first place (and was that addressed). The report in its present context is only being used for marketing purposes.

- What's the deal with all the bathrooms having loose sh!t and crappy workmanship all over them? I'd wonder if water penetration has occurred ... there states somewhere of evidence of previous water damage and "Recommend Periodic inspection" That's great and all but why did it occur in the first place?? and noted suggestive subfloor and framing repairs - why?? Burst pipe, water damage, t'mite damage .... mold??!? - Who did repairs? How well? Are Permits/plans on file with city/county etc.

- cracks in the stucco... sure common enough, but can also be an indication of shoddy/poor stucco to begin with. (Some place may require permits for it). The thing about stucco is the mix quality.. too wet can cause damage (ie rot) and too 'dry' means it doesn't adhere properly and also can cause problems eg premature cracking). You want to assure that moisture hasn't already crept in etc. One can get a moisture detector. Since there is no weep screed - talk to the local city building inspector/dept about it, get their take on it. Note "accepted construction method" - yeah, well, so are cutting corners. IMO Stucco, vinyl siding, paint are commonly used as lipstick on a pig, especially by flippers.

Call me skeptic, but imo, a property is a hidden liability and have to prove themselves. Investors are only interested in quick turn around with little cost and high(est) return!! Its still their property and responsibility. I'd talk to contractors and if stuctural integrity is in question, have an engineer look at the property. It sounds as tho there have been plumbing issues in the house so I'd get an air pressure test done... if there is a leak, it probably be hard to pinpoint where its coming from.

Oops, that took more than 10 mins... I'm a slow typer. Food for thought and free opinion and info!!

Last edited by Tarkak9; Aug 26th 2012 at 10:42 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tarkak9 View Post

1. When was that inspection done?? Was it the investor when he bought the place?
Yes good point, I did wonder about that.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 7:16 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused as to why it mentions Termites but doesn't note any damage. Is there termite damage? It kind of looks more like a sales pitch and whilst I would certainly recommend treating against Termites the most important thing for you to know as a potential buyer is if they're present, what kind of damage has been inflicted on the property.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 7:40 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles View Post

Well, tenting & fumigating is to kill off any existing critters, of any type. The drilling/barrier is to stop new subs getting in. The drywood (flying ones) will get back in if they want to, but you have a chance of spotting them swarm, or by the piles of discarded wings!