Reload this Page >

Only In America

Only In America

Old Sep 8th 2003, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Only In America

oops!! image issues BRB

Last edited by robclews; Sep 8th 2003 at 1:51 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2003, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Only In America

Originally posted by robclews
oops!! image issues BRB

Ok this is the image....spotted on a recent visit to NY. Do you ever ask yourself the question........why ?
Attached Thumbnails Only In America-3.jpg  
Old Sep 8th 2003, 2:01 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

He's been doing the circuit around Times Square for years, and has become quite the celebrity & tourist attraction for it.

One of the newspapers did an article on him, and he makes a good few thousand a month from tourists tipping, paying to have his photo taken with them, or from tv appearances. He used to be a drifter. Every day, he drives ito the city, changes, and goes out and does his stuff.

http://www.nakedcowboy.com/
Old Sep 8th 2003, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by nathan barley
He's been doing the circuit around Times Square for years, and has become quite the celebrity & tourist attraction for it.

One of the newspapers did an article on him, and he makes a good few thousand a month from tourists tipping, paying to have his photo taken with them, or from tv appearances. He used to be a drifter. Every day, he drives ito the city, changes, and goes out and does his stuff.

http://www.nakedcowboy.com/
Well perhaps Patrick should consider re directing his business activities..... As once said ‘Those who travel the same path each day, lose sight of the beauties exposed by diversification, richness is created at the expense of those who do not have vision and a spirit of adventure’.

Thanks for the info Nathan that made my Monday seem less dull.

Rob
Old Sep 8th 2003, 3:08 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that gets up my arse..is.. when my wife and I are singing nursey rhymes to my daughter, all the american versions are different, it might seem trival but why do they have to change everything over here???

and I tell you there's been a few arguements over it too.

For example ring a ring of roses, when I was a tacker, ended with achoo...achoo (like sneezing) we all fall down..

U.S Version...ashes....ashes (like there on bloody fire) we all fall down?
Old Sep 8th 2003, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Yosser
One thing that gets up my arse..is.. when my wife and I are singing nursey rhymes to my daughter, all the american versions are different, it might seem trival but why do they have to change everything over here???

For example ring a ring of roses, when I was a tacker, ended with achoo...achoo (like sneezing) we all fall down..

Most people believe that this rhyme originates from the time of the Great Plague. The roses refers to the rosy coloured rash displayed by sufferers; the posies were a little bundle of herbs and spices said to ward off the plague; and a-tishoo was of course, the sneezing which accompanied the final fatal moments of the victims when they would fall down dead.

Old Bailey judges carry a pocket of posies as a ritual at the opening of each session as a protection against gaol fever

Keep fighting the fight lol

Rob
Old Sep 8th 2003, 3:50 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the ammo Rob..... Round 2 coming up
Old Sep 8th 2003, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by robclews
Ok this is the image....spotted on a recent visit to NY. Do you ever ask yourself the question........why ?
Watch out mate, soon he will be running for Governor!

Old Sep 8th 2003, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Again, the Puritan issue comes up. My guess is they didn't like the sneezing and connection to sickness so this is the "cleaned up" version.

Originally posted by Yosser

Old Sep 9th 2003, 12:38 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Yosser - how does your mind work? How the hell did you get from the naked cowboy (great photo by the way!) to nursery rhymes in one leap? Anyway, no-ones complained about being offthread, so.....

Ashes ashes - yep, gets on my tits too. As does The Noble Duke of York. Noble? Where did that come from? I asked the Mums at a class I take my toddler too, and one of the stuck up ones snootily told me it was a traditional American nursery rhyme! Err, yeah, like theres lots of Dukes over here....maybe she thought it was about John Wayne (god rest his soul) ?! Ah well, all part and parcel of living in Johnny Foreigners backyard I guess!
Old Sep 9th 2003, 12:41 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

I am concerned that you took a picture of this person!!

For the private collection was it?
Old Sep 9th 2003, 12:49 am
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

why is that the yanks change everything to their own? ive been here two months and it seems like everything. Im noticing it more and more.

Squash becomes racket ball,
Football? hardly even kick the ball?
and what that US english thing all about on microsoft?
Old Sep 9th 2003, 1:17 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Speaking of weird New Yorkers, check out these two I photographed last time I was wandering Battery Park.

Austin Powers-alike.
Funnily enough, he really did look like him up close. I had to sneak a shot though, because he was charging people just to take a photo of him

Silver Surfer
He moved in a jerky robotic fashion, making beeping noises every time he did so.

Handfull of other photos I took that day, that I liked are here

why is that the yanks change everything to their own?
Because it's their country, basically.

Last edited by nathan barley; Sep 9th 2003 at 1:21 am.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
Yosser - how does your mind work? How the hell did you get from the naked cowboy (great photo by the way!) to nursery rhymes in one leap? Anyway, no-ones complained about being offthread, so.....

Ashes ashes - yep, gets on my tits too. As does The Noble Duke of York. Noble? Where did that come from? I asked the Mums at a class I take my toddler too, and one of the stuck up ones snootily told me it was a traditional American nursery rhyme! Err, yeah, like theres lots of Dukes over here....maybe she thought it was about John Wayne (god rest his soul) ?! Ah well, all part and parcel of living in Johnny Foreigners backyard I guess!

You should try just leaving England in England instead of trying to bring it over here with you. As similar as the countries may seem, this is a different country and most people here are unfamiliar with England and don't see the need to know anything intimate to countries overseas or outside the borders. You are going to go blue in the face huffing and puffing about these things.

Just try listening to Our Country 'Tis of Thee. Don't bother trying to convince everyone that the real words to the song are those of God Save the Queen.

Last edited by jaytee; Sep 9th 2003 at 1:42 am.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 1:50 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jaytee
As similar as the countries may seem,
UNQUOTE

Actually I don't think they're very similar at all - I lived in Singapore for 8 years, and that had more similarities with England
than the US does.

You are going to go blue in the face huffing and puffing about these things.
UNQUOTE

No I'm not, cos I actually think its quite amusing, could almost say quaint, that she actually thought the Grand Old Duke of York was of American origin. Same as most of the Americans I've met think Thomas the Tank Engine is American, and most Brits probably think Heinz baked beans and Kelloggs cornflakes are British....

Anyway, thanks for the lecture

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.