Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Only 10 Days Vacation per year

Only 10 Days Vacation per year

Old Feb 29th 2012, 3:24 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Only 10 Days Vacation per year

Originally Posted by markwm
I always thought it was common knowledge that holiday entitlement in the US is low compared to the UK. As part of my research before coming I looked at all that and decided it wasn't that big of a deal and certainly not a deciding factor. If I really needed more time I'd take unpaid leave or work something out. The fact that I can be outdoors virtually every weekend of the year and most evenings was far more important to me: it's like having a mini-vacation every week! How often can you do that in the UK?
Yes this was our plan too, breakfast & dinner on the patio, nipping off to different US cities every weekend. Reality: 100° Heat & Bugs drive us indoors, hubby working all hours, dude's homework and $$$ airfares nipped our plans in the bud!! In four years we have never nipped away for the weekend .
Old Feb 29th 2012, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Yes this was our plan too, breakfast & dinner on the patio, nipping off to different US cities every weekend. Reality: 100° Heat & Bugs drive us indoors, hubby working all hours, dude's homework and $$$ airfares nipped our plans in the bud!! In four years we have never nipped away for the weekend .
That is a pity - work-life balance is quite important so no weekend working for me and Mrs Wife isn't allowed to work (H4) so we will do something every weekend. There is a lot to see and do in and around LA so we'll be busy for a while plus there is year round golf (though I've yet to play - any golfers in LA?)
Old Feb 29th 2012, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Heating oil this winter will be about $8,000
Holy crap - it'll be about $2,500 for me by the time the winter is finished and I thought that was steep (considering how mild it has been). That's for a 2 bed Victorian house with 6 rooms and high ceilings (oil heat only; I wish I had a wood burner!).

Last edited by HumphreyC; Feb 29th 2012 at 3:42 pm.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 3:38 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njmackem
The one thing that nobody has mentioned yet, and for most of us Ex-Pats its a pretty big one is that the salaries we earn here in the US in most cases far exceed those that we were earning in the UK (for what is in many cases the same or similar work).

Given that trade off, would you sacrifice 3 of your 5 week vacation allowance for an extra $30k?

I have friends who have made the trip over here for that exact same reason.
Not everything is about the salary though, I could earn an extra $30k now we are living in Silicon Valley but choose to stay working for my LA based company because I get the huge perk of working from home, which means my daughter actually has a life outside of school/day care. I also got unbelievable travel benefits. $30k doesn't cover the cost of these perks, however makes life much nicer.

So yes, if I had to go back into working in an office, I'd consider earning less for more vacation, (yes I know I am in a nice situation to be able to do that).

As it is I started on 10 days vacation, 2 personal, and 10 sick days, all accrued over the course of a year, we only get 6 bank holidays. I get 15 days next year when I complete my 5 years I can also take unpaid leave easily.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 3:41 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

That's a shame, are there no places you can drive to within a couple of hours?
Old Feb 29th 2012, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
That's a shame, are there no places you can drive to within a couple of hours?
From Houston
Old Feb 29th 2012, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
From Houston
I've never been to Texas so have no idea. I know it's big, but so is California and there are loads of places we can drive to for a weekend away.

Edit: So it wasn't such a stupid suggestion, from doing a quick google search I've discovered Davy Crockett National Forest, Sam Houston National Park and Galveston are all within easy drives. I remember Leslie talking about going to Galveston and I really wanted to go so know thats worth a visit.

Last edited by N1cky; Feb 29th 2012 at 4:13 pm.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 4:12 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
From Houston
Never been to Texas but I just looked at a map, and it seems there's a Davy Crockett National Forest not too far away, with wild hogs...
Old Feb 29th 2012, 4:26 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah you start driving on Monday you are still in Texas on Friday .

When we have had visitors over we have been to Austin, San Antonio & Dallas (3 - 4 hours) and we drove to New Orleans (whoa that's a whole other state!) to catch a cruise ship a few years ago. We also drove over to Orlando for a week (16 hours door to door) in 2010. Apart from that we have used our free flights each year (thank you hubby's work) to go home each year. But I must stress that this on not a 'holiday' nor should it ever be referred to as a 'holiday'....hard labour maybe....

This year we are planning a 'family vacation' just the three of us to Hawaii.

So don't feel too bad for me. I just laugh remembering before we moved how we thought we would be 'doing' a different city every month and that we would try to visit every state
Old Feb 29th 2012, 4:34 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing that nobody has mentioned yet, and for most of us Ex-Pats its a pretty big one is that the salaries we earn here in the US in most cases far exceed those that we were earning in the UK (for what is in many cases the same or similar work).

Given that trade off, would you sacrifice 3 of your 5 week vacation allowance for an extra $30k?

I have friends who have made the trip over here for that exact same reason.
Theres more to life than money, and no I wouldn't sacrifice my childrens lives growing up and their childhood memories for more money, there are so many kids here who spend 12 or more hours a day in school/daycare 50 weeks a year. Sad for the kids while their big shiny house sits empty all day and the parents run about cleaning and shopping and dropping kids to "activities" on weekends.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 4:35 pm

Yeah you start driving on Monday you are still in Texas on Friday .

When we have had visitors over we have been to Austin, San Antonio & Dallas (3 - 4 hours) and we drove to New Orleans (whoa that's a whole other state!) to catch a cruise ship a few years ago. We also drove over to Orlando for a week (16 hours door to door) in 2010. Apart from that we have used our free flights each year (thank you hubby's work) to go home each year. But I must stress that this on not a 'holiday' nor should it ever be referred to as a 'holiday'....hard labour maybe....

This year we are planning a 'family vacation' just the three of us to Hawaii.

So don't feel too bad for me. I just laugh remembering before we moved how we thought we would be 'doing' a different city every month and that we would try to visit every state
I know what you mean about England, we went back last year and it definately wasn't a holiday. We've just returned from a week in Hawaii and that definately was

I laughed when I read your original post too, I knew what you were getting at. When we were moving to LA I had visions of sitting at a restaurant on the beach front, like you do on the med. I arrived in Santa Monica and there is a great big stinking 6 lane road between the beach and nearest structure. I did manage to get a hot dog
Old Feb 29th 2012, 4:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Because for many, that just isn't the case...or the cost of living is so much higher that the extra salary is needed to equalise the disposable take home pay :/
Old Feb 29th 2012, 4:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Isn't a lot of that because certain states - like New Hampshire and New Jersey to a certain extent - have lower income and sales tax rates (none in the case of NH). This is based on the lie that you can live in an advanced 1st world country without having to pay out $$$'s for government and services. Instead the burden gets put on the property taxes which then go up to silly levels (in NJ the problem is worse because of the sheer number of municipalities and school districts). In the UK the taxes are countrywide and broad based so the council tax is comparatively small (I think also because our schools tend to be larger and more centralised they are much cheaper to run but I could be wrong on that)

That sounds high - what is included in the $10,000 - heating, electric, air conditioning etc?
They were bloody high in our last town we were living in, friends were paying $6-14K on property tax.

As for heating, $500 a month on oil for 6 months of the year and the same on AC for the rest of the year. Obviously not on a new build or a apartment, but it's not unheard of either.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 4:54 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought it was common knowledge that holiday entitlement in the US is low compared to the UK. As part of my research before coming I looked at all that and decided it wasn't that big of a deal and certainly not a deciding factor. If I really needed more time I'd take unpaid leave or work something out. The fact that I can be outdoors virtually every weekend of the year and most evenings was far more important to me: it's like having a mini-vacation every week! How often can you do that in the UK?
For me tis is one of the big downsides of America.

In the UK I had most weekends in Snowdonia or the Lakes. I had ample vacation time, so I had several long weekends in the Highlands, for me it was like having loads of holidays throughout the year, with one big one in the summer abroad for a month.

Here in my part of America the outdoors are in easy reach, but to get to similar landscape I have to trek for a weekend, in the UK I could be there in an hour. The UK does not have any glaciated landscape, but a days out doing something like the Snowdon horseshoe is not a possibility for me any more. A days walk can get me to a 10 minute scramble, but that day will be stuck in a tree shrouded path, There is a choice of sticking to the paths or hacking with a machete through the forest, which means it is easier in crowded Britain to have a quiet day in the wild. There might only be 10 people on the mountain in Washington State, but you are going to see them all on that path. Then there is the quality of snow which means crampons get little use, and snow shoes are a necessity in the winter where I am. Oh for a bit of freeze-thaw.

(on the plus side, I have done one of the volcano's here, and that was a lot easier than flying to the Alps)

edit: This has hit a sore spot.
Then there is the camping, UK may pack 'em in, but you know you will get some place. In the US its book six months ahead, and pay a crazy price for a spot designed for a Winnebago. Wild camping is discouraged, and I have seen some odd official wild camp spots.

Last edited by kimilseung; Feb 29th 2012 at 5:09 pm.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 4:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I think most people know about it, but they probably don't realise how much it impacts your life not being able to take long holidays.

Long weekends don't make up for that...and many people either can't take or afford unpaid leave and when sick time is included in your holiday allowance, it suddenly gets even smaller than imagined.

And the swing side to your argument, when in the UK, how cheap and easy was it to head to France, Italy, Spain etc for a cheap weekend break? Do that here? Not likely....and who wants to be outside in the 100+ temps with the mozzies? It's not all as much fun...certainly as I thought it might have been :/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.