British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   One way ticket to US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/one-way-ticket-us-716864/)

jamesanding May 13th 2011 10:34 am

One way ticket to US

Hi All - I am traveling to the US on a L1A visa. Do you know if I have to get a return ticket or can it be one way?

Jerseygirl May 13th 2011 10:54 am

Re: One way ticket to US

Originally Posted by jamesanding (Post 9361795)
Hi All - I am traveling to the US on a L1A visa. Do you know if I have to get a return ticket or can it be one way?

You don't have to have a return ticket as you will have a visa in your passport...but you will probably find it much cheaper to buy a return ticket rather than a one way ticket.

GeoffM May 13th 2011 11:00 am

Yes, usually much cheaper for a return trip ticket - and you have an emergency flight back to the UK (or wherever) just in case. Just book the return a long way in advance and make it changeable (might cost more though; however, most flights are changeable anyway).

jamesanding May 13th 2011 11:05 am

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 9361839)
Yes, usually much cheaper for a return trip ticket - and you have an emergency flight back to the UK (or wherever) just in case. Just book the return a long way in advance and make it changeable (might cost more though; however, most flights are changeable anyway).

Perfect thanks guys.

Jerseygirl May 13th 2011 11:12 am

Originally Posted by jamesanding (Post 9361849)
Perfect thanks guys.

Book the return flight for the latest date possible. It's probably only helpful if you are going home for good as you'll still have the same problem when you book a flight to come back to the US.

Bob May 13th 2011 8:30 pm

If you're coming over on a L1A...cost shouldn't make a shit of a difference because the company should be picking up the tab, or you've just negotiated a really shit deal :lol:

Anian May 13th 2011 8:30 pm

I bought a return, half the price of a one-way. Never used the return ticket. Cancelled the credit card before the return took place. Not sure if they would have tried to charge me or just ignored that I never turned up.

BTJ May 14th 2011 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Anian (Post 9362926)
I bought a return, half the price of a one-way. Never used the return ticket. Cancelled the credit card before the return took place. Not sure if they would have tried to charge me or just ignored that I never turned up.

Why would they charge you? You already paid for the return and then saved them money by not making the return plane heavier.

Poppy girl May 14th 2011 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Anian (Post 9362926)

:blink: :confused: They don't charge the rtn portion to your card on the dates you fly :lol:..its all done and dusted in one initial transaction.

jamesanding May 14th 2011 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9362925)
If you're coming over on a L1A...cost shouldn't make a shit of a difference because the company should be picking up the tab, or you've just negotiated a really shit deal :lol:

It does make a difference - I negotiated a relocation package that included an amount for all expenses...so the less I spend the more I have for other expenses.

meauxna May 14th 2011 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by BTJ (Post 9364311)
Why would they charge you? You already paid for the return and then saved them money by not making the return plane heavier.

Because the airlines can and do fine you for doing this little trick. Not always, but sometimes.

Poppy girl May 14th 2011 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9364427)
Because the airlines can and do fine you for doing this little trick. Not always, but sometimes.

Never heard that one as you know I worked for the Airlines on and off for a number of years...You've been Googling Mrs :lol: :wub:

meauxna May 14th 2011 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9364447)
Never heard that one as you know I worked for the Airlines on and off for a number of years...You've been Googling Mrs :lol: :wub:

It's been brought up here before, yes. :)

Poppy girl May 14th 2011 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9364455)
It's been brought up here before, yes. :)

On a economy or Higher!!

Bob May 14th 2011 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by jamesanding (Post 9364399)
It does make a difference - I negotiated a relocation package that included an amount for all expenses...so the less I spend the more I have for other expenses.

But you're on L1A, so you should have them picking up the whole tab directly, rather than giving you an expense account to do this, this way is going to whack you with a big tax bill.