Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

One-way ticket problems (US to London)

One-way ticket problems (US to London)

Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

fgair is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One-way ticket problems (US to London)

Hello. My son is a dual nationality US/UK citizen, living in the US. He wants to travel to the UK on a one-way air-mile ticket in August. Do you know if that will create any problems? I know that they expect non-UK citizens to have a one-way ticket, but is that true of UK citizens too, if they are not resident? He's getting there on air miles and doesn't know when he'll return, so we hope to have enough air miles saved to bring him back when he's ready in 4-6 months.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One-way ticket problems (US to London)

I don't know the answer to your question, but many airmile plans have much better mileage redemption amounts for a return compared to a single, and are very flexible on rescheduling return flights booked on miles. It might be worth him booking a return with an estimate if a return date, and change it nearer the time if he needs to. Or it might not!
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

We have American Airlines air miles and they do all tickets on a one-way basis -- same number of miles for going and returning. You can't book air mile tickets until you have the air miles. I'm hoping that I will have enough on my credit card by the time he wants to return. I just want to know if there will be immigration issues if he has a one-way ticket.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fgair View Post
We have American Airlines air miles and they do all tickets on a one-way basis -- same number of miles for going and returning. You can't book air mile tickets until you have the air miles. I'm hoping that I will have enough on my credit card by the time he wants to return. I just want to know if there will be immigration issues if he has a one-way ticket.
I can't see why. He's a US/UK citizen. So long as he uses his US passport to leave and enter the US (as the law says) and he uses his UK passport to enter the UK, they can't refuse entry nor dictate how long he can stay for in either country.

Last edited by Brit3964; Jun 15th 2010 at 10:41 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Second that it may take fewer miles overall to book it as a return ticket, but he won't have any problems immigration-wise as long as he has a UK passport. If he only has a US passport, it may still be possible but might be more complicated.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello. My son is a dual nationality US/UK citizen, living in the US. He wants to travel to the UK on a one-way air-mile ticket in August. Do you know if that will create any problems? I know that they expect non-UK citizens to have a one-way ticket, but is that true of UK citizens too, if they are not resident? He's getting there on air miles and doesn't know when he'll return, so we hope to have enough air miles saved to bring him back when he's ready in 4-6 months.
If your son has a UK citizen passport, UK immigration will not be concerned what type of ticket he has. He will need a US passport to re-enter the USA though.

Last edited by Zonie; Jun 15th 2010 at 10:45 pm. Reason: Too slow!
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

He has both passports, so it sounds like will be OK. Thanks for all the help!
Old Jun 15th 2010, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

Bookem will become famous soon enough

If your son is a UK citizen I really can’t see him having any problems whatsoever with a one-way ticket. I am sure that non-EU citizens would be asked how long they were staying but it seems unreasonable to me to ask a British citizen how he plans to stay in his own country.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 3:24 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

I flew one-way to the UK in 2004 when activating my student visa (US citizenship only at the time). No one cared.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bookem View Post
If your son is a UK citizen I really can’t see him having any problems whatsoever with a one-way ticket. I am sure that non-EU citizens would be asked how long they were staying but it seems unreasonable to me to ask a British citizen how he plans to stay in his own country.
Got news for you. When I went back last year for a visit I got asked how long I was staying for what was the purpose of my visit. Cheeky bugger! I'm both a US and UK citizen and was using my UK passport to enter.

I flew one-way to the UK in 2004 when activating my student visa (US citizenship only at the time). No one cared.
Not anymore. It was stand behind the white line, don't move forward until asked, and as mentioned above cheeky questions being asked. Things have changed (and not for the better) since 2004. When I went back in 2002 and again in 2006, nobody bothered. It was the old wave-through not bothering to even look at the passports.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 4:15 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: One-way ticket problems (US to London)

The only consideration is that on a one-way ticket for an international flight, the boarding pass *may* be annotated SSSS....this just means he has been specially selected to have a slightly more thorough security check; some airlines do so randomly in any case for any passenger flying with them, and I've experienced this 'special selection' at least twice.

I just had an extra careful pat-down and my shoes checked again and I think one of the TSA personnel asked me the purpose of my journey.

There are certain ticket purchases which can 'raise a flag' for security purposes (due to the terrorist attacks) eg. air ticket paid for in cash, one way tickets, certain destinations, but it's not a problem for genuine travellers.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:37 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964 View Post
Got news for you. When I went back last year for a visit I got asked how long I was staying for what was the purpose of my visit. Cheeky bugger! I'm both a US and UK citizen and was using my UK passport to enter.

Not anymore. It was stand behind the white line, don't move forward until asked, and as mentioned above cheeky questions being asked. Things have changed (and not for the better) since 2004. When I went back in 2002 and again in 2006, nobody bothered. It was the old wave-through not bothering to even look at the passports.
I'm guessing they assume not all UK citizens are harmless visitors. As Englishmum said regarding security checks, I'm sure UK immigration asks a few extra questions of a sample of returning UK citizens. You must look a little bit shifty is all I can say.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly, there is no requirement for proof of onward travel to leave the UK like some other countries I've visited (and I very nearly got stranded in Singapore once with such rules), just evidence in various other forms is sufficient (including onward travel tickets).

But if you were to be deported then the airline has to return you, with the associated costs so they understandably try to avoid that happening. Clearly that won't be a problem in this situation with a UK passport, but the check-in agents would likely want to see such evidence with a one-way ticket, a UK passport being probably more than enough!
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

He has both passports, so it sounds like will be OK. Thanks for all the help!
Yep...no problems there at all.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving View Post
You must look a little bit shifty is all I can say.
I guess so. Maybe I should disguse myself as Dame Helen Mirren next time...no wait, they wouldn't let her back in