British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   One-way Internal flight - am I being stupid here?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/one-way-internal-flight-am-i-being-stupid-here-589903/)

Indianabound Feb 7th 2009 12:27 pm

One-way Internal flight - am I being stupid here?!

Hi

Im living in Indiana and Im going to PA next weekend and then driving back with someone who's in PA back to Indiana.

The price of a flight one-way is about twice the price of a return... so is there any reason i cant get a return flight and then just not use the return flight?

Is there a catch like a cancellation fee Id incur? Im in the US on a L-1 visa so I dont want to do anything that may get me in hot water.

Does anyone know?

Thanks

agentpeppermint Feb 7th 2009 12:40 pm

Re: One-way Internal flight - am I being stupid here?!

Originally Posted by Indianabound (Post 7260012)
Hi

Im living in Indiana and Im going to PA next weekend and then driving back with someone who's in PA back to Indiana.

The price of a flight one-way is about twice the price of a return... so is there any reason i cant get a return flight and then just not use the return flight?

Is there a catch like a cancellation fee Id incur? Im in the US on a L-1 visa so I dont want to do anything that may get me in hot water.

Does anyone know?

Thanks

Nope you can get the return ticket... no cancellation fee... people do it all the time. Dont know any thing about the L 1 visa, but I know you can buy a round trup and not use the second portion

Pharrya Feb 7th 2009 1:31 pm

Yup, cancel away. Just because you buy a ticket - doesn't mean you're obligated to actually use it.

Norri Feb 7th 2009 1:32 pm

Don't worry, go ahead and save some cash.

Folinskyinla Feb 7th 2009 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Indianabound (Post 7260012)
Hi

Does anyone know?

Thanks

Hi:

Read the "terms of carriage" of the particular airline. Most make you liable for the difference between the one-way and two-way flight if you don't use the return leg. Now, do the airlines enforce the thing is a different question. Do note that this is only a contract violation and has no immigration consequences unless there is a violation of some order to appear which results in a contempt citation.

Norri Feb 7th 2009 5:28 pm

Trust a lawyer to muddy the waters :)

My previous advice still stands, so you break the terms of your contract what are they going to do, refuse to sell you a ticket next time?

Steerpike Feb 7th 2009 6:01 pm

When you buy the ticket, set a return date as far in the future as you can (while maintaining the low price). That way, you may even be able to use it if something unforeseen in the future.

FYI, I just flew SFO-JFK-Phoenix-SFO with only 5 days notice, for about $700! That was unheard of until recently. Plane fares seem to be plummeting.

Duncan Roberts Feb 8th 2009 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Norri (Post 7260720)
My previous advice still stands, so you break the terms of your contract what are they going to do, refuse to sell you a ticket next time?

Charge you the difference between what you paid and what a one way was. If you don't pay, send that debt to a collection agency and mess up your credit. As was said, will they do it? Who knows but I have heard of it happening and with the economy as it is you can be sure the airlines are trying to get every little bit of money they can.

Norri Feb 8th 2009 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 7262963)
Charge you the difference between what you paid and what a one way was. If you don't pay, send that debt to a collection agency and mess up your credit. As was said, will they do it? Who knows but I have heard of it happening and with the economy as it is you can be sure the airlines are trying to get every little bit of money they can.

I have to say the thought of the airlines smashing in my door in the middle of the night over an unused ticket segment has never kept me awake.
I'd still buy the return if it was my decision.

cindyabs Feb 8th 2009 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla (Post 7260679)
Hi:

Read the "terms of carriage" of the particular airline. Most make you liable for the difference between the one-way and two-way flight if you don't use the return leg. Now, do the airlines enforce the thing is a different question. Do note that this is only a contract violation and has no immigration consequences unless there is a violation of some order to appear which results in a contempt citation.

Every once in a great while they do go after folks. Who knows, they might just turn to that being a given as a means to get some more money.

Bob Feb 8th 2009 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Norri (Post 7263003)
I have to say the thought of the airlines smashing in my door in the middle of the night over an unused ticket segment has never kept me awake.
I'd still buy the return if it was my decision.

True chances are slim...but look at the small print of the sales, you might if you've used a debit/credit card authorised them to take the payment from the card when you bought your ticket, so they wouldn't have to do anything to get the money from you and you'd not be able to contest it.

Patrick Hasler Feb 9th 2009 7:59 am

Ofcourse ! ... The polite thing to do would be to respond and thank all those who have answered your question .... But then again some don't care :(

Voltore Feb 9th 2009 12:10 pm

They go after persistent offenders, particularly those who buy returns and have another set of returns nested within to save money.

A one-off would go un-noticed and if they did query it, a simple "missed the flight, so made my own way home".

I've dropped a return on a Transatlantic before circumstances changed, rang to change the return, and even the airline recommended I simply no-show and book a new one-way!

Norri Feb 9th 2009 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Voltore (Post 7266366)
They go after persistent offenders, particularly those who buy returns and have another set of returns nested within to save money.

This is a whole different ball game!

However due to the consensus of opinion I realise I misadvised the OP, he should pony up to the airlines and take it on the chin, I guess my stiff upper lip quivered for a while there.

Indianabound Feb 10th 2009 2:10 am

Hi all

Thanks for your comments. I'm going to go for a return ticket and take my chances.

Thanks again!