Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

One-way Internal flight - am I being stupid here?!

One-way Internal flight - am I being stupid here?!

Old Feb 7th 2009, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Indianabound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One-way Internal flight - am I being stupid here?!

Hi

Im living in Indiana and Im going to PA next weekend and then driving back with someone who's in PA back to Indiana.

The price of a flight one-way is about twice the price of a return... so is there any reason i cant get a return flight and then just not use the return flight?

Is there a catch like a cancellation fee Id incur? Im in the US on a L-1 visa so I dont want to do anything that may get me in hot water.

Does anyone know?

Thanks
Old Feb 7th 2009, 12:40 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One-way Internal flight - am I being stupid here?!

Originally Posted by Indianabound
Hi

Im living in Indiana and Im going to PA next weekend and then driving back with someone who's in PA back to Indiana.

The price of a flight one-way is about twice the price of a return... so is there any reason i cant get a return flight and then just not use the return flight?

Is there a catch like a cancellation fee Id incur? Im in the US on a L-1 visa so I dont want to do anything that may get me in hot water.

Does anyone know?

Thanks
Nope you can get the return ticket... no cancellation fee... people do it all the time. Dont know any thing about the L 1 visa, but I know you can buy a round trup and not use the second portion
Old Feb 7th 2009, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Yup, cancel away. Just because you buy a ticket - doesn't mean you're obligated to actually use it.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry, go ahead and save some cash.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Indianabound
Hi

Does anyone know?

Thanks
Hi:

Read the "terms of carriage" of the particular airline. Most make you liable for the difference between the one-way and two-way flight if you don't use the return leg. Now, do the airlines enforce the thing is a different question. Do note that this is only a contract violation and has no immigration consequences unless there is a violation of some order to appear which results in a contempt citation.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Trust a lawyer to muddy the waters

My previous advice still stands, so you break the terms of your contract what are they going to do, refuse to sell you a ticket next time?
Old Feb 7th 2009, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

When you buy the ticket, set a return date as far in the future as you can (while maintaining the low price). That way, you may even be able to use it if something unforeseen in the future.

FYI, I just flew SFO-JFK-Phoenix-SFO with only 5 days notice, for about $700! That was unheard of until recently. Plane fares seem to be plummeting.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norri
My previous advice still stands, so you break the terms of your contract what are they going to do, refuse to sell you a ticket next time?
Charge you the difference between what you paid and what a one way was. If you don't pay, send that debt to a collection agency and mess up your credit. As was said, will they do it? Who knows but I have heard of it happening and with the economy as it is you can be sure the airlines are trying to get every little bit of money they can.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Charge you the difference between what you paid and what a one way was. If you don't pay, send that debt to a collection agency and mess up your credit. As was said, will they do it? Who knows but I have heard of it happening and with the economy as it is you can be sure the airlines are trying to get every little bit of money they can.
I have to say the thought of the airlines smashing in my door in the middle of the night over an unused ticket segment has never kept me awake.
I'd still buy the return if it was my decision.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:39 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Read the "terms of carriage" of the particular airline. Most make you liable for the difference between the one-way and two-way flight if you don't use the return leg. Now, do the airlines enforce the thing is a different question. Do note that this is only a contract violation and has no immigration consequences unless there is a violation of some order to appear which results in a contempt citation.
Every once in a great while they do go after folks. Who knows, they might just turn to that being a given as a means to get some more money.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norri
I have to say the thought of the airlines smashing in my door in the middle of the night over an unused ticket segment has never kept me awake.
I'd still buy the return if it was my decision.
True chances are slim...but look at the small print of the sales, you might if you've used a debit/credit card authorised them to take the payment from the card when you bought your ticket, so they wouldn't have to do anything to get the money from you and you'd not be able to contest it.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Ofcourse ! ... The polite thing to do would be to respond and thank all those who have answered your question .... But then again some don't care
Old Feb 9th 2009, 12:10 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

They go after persistent offenders, particularly those who buy returns and have another set of returns nested within to save money.

A one-off would go un-noticed and if they did query it, a simple "missed the flight, so made my own way home".

I've dropped a return on a Transatlantic before circumstances changed, rang to change the return, and even the airline recommended I simply no-show and book a new one-way!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Voltore
They go after persistent offenders, particularly those who buy returns and have another set of returns nested within to save money.
This is a whole different ball game!

However due to the consensus of opinion I realise I misadvised the OP, he should pony up to the airlines and take it on the chin, I guess my stiff upper lip quivered for a while there.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 2:10 am
Just Joined

Indianabound is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Thanks for your comments. I'm going to go for a return ticket and take my chances.

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.