Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

One way flights for those that have moved recently.

One way flights for those that have moved recently.

Old Dec 23rd 2014, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One way flights for those that have moved recently.

I have not used Norwegian to fly long haul, but the service has always been good on the short haul stuff I have done with them in Europe. Nothing is included, but they bundle everything you may need to encourage you to take it all (seat reservation, luggage, meals etc.). The fleet is all new as far as I am aware. The short haul had free WiFi, so I could tell when my kids were on the way back after a few weeks at Grandma's (Internet not included).

We plan that my parents will use Norwegian when they visit in the summer. Various reasons, not least of which is the price. They also fly from Gatwick which is much more convenient for them.

When we relocated I was quoted huge figures by the travel agency, as I was trying to juggle expenditure to match with expenses reimbursements I also looked on Expedia, found the same flights for half the price. The reservation included a return leg even though the search was for one-way only.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 3:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phyzz
..... When we relocated I was quoted huge figures by the travel agency, ....
You consulted a travel agent?

Travel agencies still exist?
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You consulted a travel agent?

Travel agencies still exist?
Corporate travel management company, not quite the same as popping in to Thomas Cook.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

Another option is to use airline miles. Either from previous flights, or a credit card. If you have an Amex you can usually transfer the membership rewards to one of the member programs. It's about 20,000 miles for an economy one way on Virgin and BA (plus taxes), or you can spend up to 45000 for business (and then take three cases!).
Old Dec 24th 2014, 10:17 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaffy23
Another option is to use airline miles. Either from previous flights, or a credit card. If you have an Amex you can usually transfer the membership rewards to one of the member programs. It's about 20,000 miles for an economy one way on Virgin and BA (plus taxes), or you can spend up to 45000 for business (and then take three cases!).
If you have Membership Rewards points it's worth looking into transferring them into ANA and then using those miles to book a Star Alliance partner like United. Avoids the stupidly-high fuel surcharges that BA and Virgin levy and also ANA's distance-based award chart costs fewer miles I think. The sweet spot from the east coast used to be business class at 63K R/T.

Alternatively if you're cash-rich and miles/points-poor then a transfer to BA or Virgin can be worthwhile, especially when there's a transfer bonus going on (e.g. 40% to BA at the moment).
Old Dec 28th 2014, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Chapmandan is an unknown quantity at this point

We just paid £1100 each, one way LHR to BOS! Well it was during Christmas week... Good news is that the company picked up the tab.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 11:47 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chapmandan
We just paid £1100 each, one way LHR to BOS! Well it was during Christmas week... Good news is that the company picked up the tab.
Which cabin?

On the assumption it was economy, as others have said there's no need to shell out for one-ways, regardless of who's paying.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

Chapmandan is an unknown quantity at this point

Economy... It went through internal travel group so I didn't see the cost until it was booked!!
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 8:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

https://skiplagged.com/ Has that been posted here?
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

ubernathan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
https://skiplagged.com/ Has that been posted here?
BBC News - Travel firms sue creator of cheap airfare site

I doubt skiplagged approach would work with an international leg, besides you wouldn't be able to check any luggage.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

davejenk477 is an unknown quantity at this point

We flew with norweigen when we moved to NY in November, it was by far the cheapest one way flight and a really good plane too! Big, brand new plane and good films etc
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 2:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ubernathan
BBC News - Travel firms sue creator of cheap airfare site

I doubt skiplagged approach would work with an international leg, besides you wouldn't be able to check any luggage.
Aye, the lawsuit thing was doing the rounds and was how I stumbled on the site.

Though if one has a large family, they could still make use of this if one was willing to fly direct, or properly and take the luggage themselves. It could still save a hefty amount even if it were a hassle. Wouldn't want to do that with little kids mind.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davejenk477
We flew with norweigen when we moved to NY in November, it was by far the cheapest one way flight and a really good plane too! Big, brand new plane and good films etc
Every review I seem to read about Norwegian Airlines are all pretty good! Of course there are a few bad ones but you get that with everything, I'd say 95% that I've read are all positive. I have booked my flight with them and I hope to be another happy customer.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Ash14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really niceAsh14297 is just really nice

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
Hello all, I'm starting to look at one way flights or return flights but being naughty and throwing away the return ticket.

I'm just wondering what people have paid in the last few years so I kind of know what prices to buy my ticket/s at. Last month when I went to Phoenix I paid £630 for a return 1 stop flight and if I had waited I could have got a return direct flight with BA for £520!

I'm going to Phoenix but have found a one way direct ticket to LAX for £274 so I'm not sure whether to go for that then get a train or pay someone to pick me up as £274 seems pretty cheap. A one way direct flight to Phoenix so far is £461.

So yeah basically what did you all end up paying roughly? It doesn't need to be to Phoenix or LA I'm just interested in what, if any, good deals people got. Do I buy now incase they get more expensive or wait incase they get cheaper?

Thanks!

Oh and I'm going roughly on October 1st give or take a few days.
You might want to look at flying into Canada and then Canada to the US on 2 separate tickets. I've just booked direct return flights home to LHR from YVR with Air Canada for $650 in May. Other flights were minimum of $1300 direct from LA. I then got a cheap return ticket for LAX-YVR-LAX for either side of the trip and a hotel stay each side in YVR to ensure I do not miss my connection. That combined still comes way under flying direct from LAX. I think my return tickets to Canada were only $210 from LAX. Bit of a hassle but kind of worth it with how much I'm saving and it is another place to tick off my list of places I've visited!
Old Jan 4th 2015, 3:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash14297
..... Bit of a hassle but kind of worth it with how much I'm saving and it is another place to tick off my list of places I've visited!
Last summer we looked at all the options to get from CLT to London, or even Birmingham or Bristol, and back. We looked at many options, including changes in NY, DC, Atlanta, Boston, Toronto, Iceland, or Dublin (Iceland and I think Dublin required two changes). I think Boston was going to require a hotel too.

Anyhow, between all the faffing around with schedules and changes, the best outcome was only a saving of a few hundred dollars and the total journey time was much greater, and in the end we snagged direct flights at a great price, as good or better than any complex itinerary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.