British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   One way flights back to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/one-way-flights-back-uk-733383/)

mango-va Sep 23rd 2011 2:37 pm

One way flights back to the UK

Does anyone know if there will be a problem going back to the UK on one way flights with my daughter using her american passport? She had an english one, but it is expired. She has dual citizenship... born in the USA but me (mother) english. She lived there for 5 years until two years ago, and is still a minor.

Cheers m'dears.... !

fatbrit Sep 23rd 2011 2:47 pm

Re: One way flights back to the UK

Originally Posted by mango-va (Post 9638010)
Does anyone know if there will be a problem going back to the UK on one way flights with my daughter using her american passport? She had an english one, but it is expired. She has dual citizenship... born in the USA but me (mother) english. She lived there for 5 years until two years ago, and is still a minor.

Cheers m'dears.... !

Check in for the flight with the US one, but present the expired UK one to UK Border and just nod and look suitably admonished when you get the lecture.

All, of course, provided the airlines let you board.

Alternatively, you could get an emergency travel document if you have time.

mango-va Sep 23rd 2011 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9638034)
Check in for the flight with the US one, but present the expired UK one to UK Border and just nod and look suitably admonished when you get the lecture.

Thanks for the advice... I am wondering though if there will be a problem checking in for the flight in the USA. Will they let her get on the flight with the one way ticket?

Englishman43 Sep 23rd 2011 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by mango-va (Post 9638049)
Thanks for the advice... I am wondering though if there will be a problem checking in for the flight in the USA. Will they let her get on the flight with the one way ticket?

I've often found a one way to be more expensive than a round trip , might be worth exploring a return ticket and just not using the return leg. I've done it and it's perfectly legal etc - just a thought to possibly save a few $$ .

fatbrit Sep 23rd 2011 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by mango-va (Post 9638049)

No idea! Why not call them and ask?

ljaw2002uk Sep 23rd 2011 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Englishman43 (Post 9638097)
I've often found a one way to be more expensive than a round trip , might be worth exploring a return ticket and just not using the return leg. I've done it and it's perfectly legal etc - just a thought to possibly save a few $$ .

Agree! It's always been cheaper to book a return for me.

paulpur Sep 23rd 2011 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9638034)

i thought that she would have been ok if she showed both her US and expired UK passport at the check in desk, that way they airline knows that she isnt going to get turned back and then shows the UK passport at UK border for the lecture?
Isnt the airline just concerned that you are going to get turned away at the UK border and them having to either pay a fine or pay return flight etc? , but with her being a UKC , they cant refuse entry to her
i could be wrong but thats just my take on the situation lol

fatbrit Sep 23rd 2011 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by paulpur (Post 9638283)
i thought that she would have been ok if she showed both her US and expired UK passport at the check in desk, that way they airline knows that she isnt going to get turned back and then shows the UK passport at UK border for the lecture?
Isnt the airline just concerned that you are going to get turned away at the UK border and them having to either pay a fine or pay return flight etc? , but with her being a UKC , they cant refuse entry to her
i could be wrong but thats just my take on the situation lol

Maybe. My theory used my personal observation that airline employees are akin to DMV ones, so it's best to keep it nice and simple with them.

Englishmum Sep 24th 2011 1:38 am

Originally Posted by mango-va (Post 9638010)

Cheers m'dears.... !

I would buy a return ticket. Eyebrows may be raised if a parent is on a one-way ticket when travelling overseas with a child as there may be concerns about international child abduction.

I obviously have no idea about the personal circumstances, but if the father is alive and resident in the US, it may be prudent to get a notarised letter signed by him to state that he gives his permission for his daughter to leave the US.