Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

One way flight to the USA or a Return...?

One way flight to the USA or a Return...?

Old Oct 2nd 2009, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Victor88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One way flight to the USA or a Return...?

Hi all,

Hope this doesn't sound like an odd question, but it's really puzzling me...

Basically, it's in relation to this - I'm waiting on approval for a K Visa... and I'm trying to think ahead IF I get approved (please I hope so, can't stand the waiting!).

Is it possible to book a return flight to the US from the UK (which is far cheaper than getting a one-way flight) - and then just not turn up for the return flight?

So, when I do head to the States on the K visa, are the immigration people going to ask 'why have you booked a return flight' and cause problems.

Cheers all.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 2:32 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One way flight to the USA or a Return...?

We're planning on booking a round trip and not using the return half. You can do that, but if you book a flight and don't use the FIRST half, or the first part of any flight with connections, then the rest will be cancelled.

You're allowed to go back to your home country briefly to sort out any loose ends (ie sale of a house) so I don't think they'd question it.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

yes

no
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Family_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Victor88
Is it possible to book a return flight to the US from the UK (which is far cheaper than getting a one-way flight) - and then just not turn up for the return flight?
Yes

Hi all,
So, when I do head to the States on the K visa, are the immigration people going to ask 'why have you booked a return flight' and cause problems.
No
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by avanutria

You're allowed to go back to your home country briefly to sort out any loose ends (ie sale of a house) so I don't think they'd question it.
no
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 2:37 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

My advice is to book the return as far as humanly possible in the future, say 6-9-12 months or so. Take the first trip over, and then you have this return ticket that is valid in say 6 months or whatever.

Should some emergency present itself in the next XX months, you can then just pay the change fee and go home.

No sense in booking a return a week later that you know you will not make. Why not book it 9 months later and maybe...well, it's there if you need it.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 2:40 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good idea...I might do that myself.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
My advice is to book the return as far as humanly possible in the future, say 6-9-12 months or so. Take the first trip over, and then you have this return ticket that is valid in say 6 months or whatever.

Should some emergency present itself in the next XX months, you can then just pay the change fee and go home.

No sense in booking a return a week later that you know you will not make. Why not book it 9 months later and maybe...well, it's there if you need it.
You'll also want to play around with the return date to make sure it's cheap i.e. don't book the return for the middle of July, when trips to Europe are more popular.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 5:18 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
You'll also want to play around with the return date to make sure it's cheap i.e. don't book the return for the middle of July, when trips to Europe are more popular.

The return date should make very little or no difference to the price on consolidator tickets, it is the date of the outbound leg that governs it.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 5:27 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

If they did, you'd reply "'cos it was cheaper"
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 5:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
That works for an Immigrant Visa, or perhaps a K-3 but not someone entering on a K-1 visa. Someone on a K-1 cannot just turn right around and leave the USA again. They have to wait for an Advance Parole travel document first.

Rene
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 7:29 pm
Dallas

Meryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of lightMeryl is a glorious beacon of light

that's funny I was thinking of posting about the same thing. I'm due to go in 6 weeks and it costs twice as much for a one way ticket as it does for a return. So I can book a return ticket and cancel it at a later date?
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 7:33 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meryl
that's funny I was thinking of posting about the same thing. I'm due to go in 6 weeks and it costs twice as much for a one way ticket as it does for a return. So I can book a return ticket and cancel it at a later date?
Yes, or use the return later.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 7:46 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Another 'feature' of booking the return far in advance is that the chances of the airline changing or cancelling the flight increase over time. If the airline cancels out you'll get a full refund of the return fare, even if the original ticket was a no-refund variety if you are the one that cancels it.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Victor88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meryl
I'm so glad others were thinking the same question too... thought I was the only one

Thats great advice all - I can book a return ticket, and just book the return for 7-8 months after I arrive... so simple when someone else says it!

Fingers crossed... let me know how it goes Meryl!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.