Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

One Way Car Rental

One Way Car Rental

Old Jun 1st 2010, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default One Way Car Rental

I know we've recently had threads relating to cheaper car rentals in general, and stuff about insurance for rental cars, but I couldn't find anything specific about one way car rentals...

We want to rent a car in Dallas and drop off a few days later in New York and I'm currently trying to price up my options....

I keep reading in articles/online that 'some' companies don't impose a one way rental charge, but I've not been able to find reference to specifically which companies that might be!

So far, I have seen drop off charges (on top of the rental cost) ranging from $250 to a whopping $1000

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions/tips?
Old Jun 1st 2010, 10:21 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: One Way Car Rental

Originally Posted by rebs
I know we've recently had threads relating to cheaper car rentals in general, and stuff about insurance for rental cars, but I couldn't find anything specific about one way car rentals...

We want to rent a car in Dallas and drop off a few days later in New York and I'm currently trying to price up my options....

I keep reading in articles/online that 'some' companies don't impose a one way rental charge, but I've not been able to find reference to specifically which companies that might be!

So far, I have seen drop off charges (on top of the rental cost) ranging from $250 to a whopping $1000

Have you tried http://www.kayak.com ?

Or Orbitz, Hotwire, perhaps directly with car rental companies Enterprise? Dollar? Thrifty? They all have 1-800 toll free numbers.

Last edited by Englishmum; Jun 1st 2010 at 10:35 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Way Car Rental

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Have you tried http://www.kayak.com ?

Or Orbitz, Hotwire, perhaps directly with Enterprise?
Thanks for the tips - I've tried various comparison sites and directly on various company sites - all the usual suspects, Avis, Hertz, Dollar, Alamo, Budget, National ...

Enterprise actually say to call for one way details and I've not bothered calling them as yet... do you happen to know if they don't charge a one drop off fee?
Old Jun 1st 2010, 10:38 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: One Way Car Rental

Enterprise actually say to call for one way details and I've not bothered calling them as yet... do you happen to know if they don't charge a one drop off fee?
They certainly don't charge for one way rentals in the UK....I think in the US you need to arrange it with locations which participate....

Just thought of another one....'Rent a Wreck'....
Old Jun 1st 2010, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

We've done one way rentals between California and Washington and have always paid a drop off charge. Which I think is a bunch of hogwash as one of the cars we had actually had Nevada plates on it (gee that really got returned to Nevada!) Kayak is a good website to start off on.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Englishmum
They certainly don't charge for one way rentals in the UK....I think in the US you need to arrange it with locations which participate....

Just thought of another one....'Rent a Wreck'....
Well that's interesting to know about Enterprise - I'll definitely give them a call then and see what the deal is here

Rent a Wreck - I would have considered - sadly, no locations near us...

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
We've done one way rentals between California and Washington and have always paid a drop off charge. Which I think is a bunch of hogwash as one of the cars we had actually had Nevada plates on it (gee that really got returned to Nevada!) Kayak is a good website to start off on.
Yeah, I suspect we will end up renting and paying the fee - I agree, all seems a bit of a rip off
Old Jun 1st 2010, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

It's usually hard to find a one-way rental without a drop-off fee when the drop-off location is out of state. The reason is that the drop-off location is then stuck with a vehicle that is not registered in that state and, depending on the state's laws, may fall afoul of licensing requirements after a period of time. So effectively they're relying on finding another one-way rental to get it back "home" within that window.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

You know, if you weren't doing a one rental, you could go to Priceline and bid for a car. I did that last week for our trip to California in three weeks (not a one way rental) and we got a minivan for $25 a day....pretty good rate.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 1:22 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

We did a one way rental from Sea-Tac airport (in Washington state) to Eugene, Oregon in December. Budget charged an additional $100 for it being one way, but didn't care about the length of either the rental or the journey. This charge was shown in the online quote when we booked, but only at the last screen before booking.

The car itself was registered in Arizona.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by avanutria
We did a one way rental from Sea-Tac airport (in Washington state) to Eugene, Oregon in December. Budget charged an additional $100 for it being one way, but didn't care about the length of either the rental or the journey. This charge was shown in the online quote when we booked, but only at the last screen before booking.
Thanks for that - Budget are looking to be my best option, so far. Their drop off charge is showing as $300 for us, but overall the total cost is coming out the cheapest of the ones I've looked at.

I'm looking to book as UK residents and pay with my UK credit card, so some sites are just giving 'estimated' totals (I guess they can't confirm prices due to exchange rates).
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for that - Budget are looking to be my best option, so far. Their drop off charge is showing as $300 for us, but overall the total cost is coming out the cheapest of the ones I've looked at.

I'm looking to book as UK residents and pay with my UK credit card, so some sites are just giving 'estimated' totals (I guess they can't confirm prices due to exchange rates).
Can you use a UK website? When I've checked that before the insurance was already figured in and it was all around cheaper in the end.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 1:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Try Alamo, they will quote the full price online for one way rentals if available and no need to negotiate it locally.

Their drop off fees vary but will be included in the quote.

I rent one way with them often and so far knock on wood no drop off fees for the locations I have used.

Last one was 43 dollars one way for a 1 day rental between LA are and San Diego.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Can you use a UK website? When I've checked that before the insurance was already figured in and it was all around cheaper in the end.
Yes, I'm using UK comparison sites. You're right - coming up much cheaper than US sites. Still getting one way charges though...
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Try Alamo, they will quote the full price online for one way rentals if available and no need to negotiate it locally.

Their drop off fees vary but will be included in the quote.

I rent one way with them often and so far knock on wood no drop off fees for the locations I have used.

Last one was 43 dollars one way for a 1 day rental between LA are and San Diego.
That's interesting - Alamo did include a drop off charge on my quote - maybe because I need to go across states ...
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

When I went travelling in the US as a student, we drove across country (Virginia to California) with a company similar to these guys http://www.autodriveaway.com. They gave us a week to do the trip and it didn't cost us anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.