Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

One way airline tickets?

One way airline tickets?

Old Mar 12th 2002, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Waiting is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One way airline tickets?

Anyone have any info on one way airline tickets to the US. Any websites/agents anyone can recommend? Sites like travelocity seem to list prices equal or higher than return fares for one way ??

Interested in info about good one way fares in general, but any information specifically for Australia (ex sydney) to San Francisco (or LA) would be greatly appreciated

Please share how you travelled when the time came for you. Found a cheap one way ticket?, bought a return fare and didnt use 2nd portion?
Old Mar 12th 2002, 3:35 pm
Squire

Default Re: One way airline tickets?

In article <[email protected]>, Waiting
<[email protected]> writes
    >Anyone have any info on one way airline tickets to the US. Any websites/agents
    >anyone can recommend? Sites like travelocity seem to list prices equal or higher
    >than return fares for one way ??

Other than no-frills airlines, you will find that most one-way fares are equal or
higher than round trip. At first sight this may appear illogical until you try to
decipher the yield management basis upon which most airlines set their fares.

In essence their product is higher (often much higher) priced for business users who
usually have less time to plan their travel far ahead and must often also have
flexibility to change their itinerary at short notice. These tickets are full fare
but also fully refundable without penalty. This is why you hear of seats being
over-booked as airlines know from previous experience that not all such travellers
will turn up to take their seats. Occasionally reality doesn't meet the prediction
and if the plane would be over full they offer inducements for the excess passengers
to take a later flight.

Leisure travellers are more price conscious and are prepared to relinquish their
flexibility by making advance purchases and accepting non-changeable non-refundable
(at least without paying a penalty) less expensive tickets.

So far so good? Well, the next thing to consider is how the airlines differentiate
who is the business traveller and who is joe public. One effective way is to only
provide the less expensive tickets to those who book a round trip that includes a
Saturday at their destination. As business travellers tend to travel mostly Monday to
Friday, this neatly segregates the two markets in the eyes of the airline. If the
business traveller were able to purchase two one-way tickets at a combined price much
less than his full price round trip ticket then the airline would lose out in terms
of revenue, as clearly one-way tickets cant specify a Saturday night away. There are
other issues involved but I'm trying to keep this explanation simple.

So basically, if you purchase a round-trip ticket just dont use the return half. Hang
on to it tho just in case you do need it, possibly with a date of travel adjustment
for $100/150 fee. Under no circumstances do it the other way round because if you
dont show for the first segment of the outbound trip, the airline will automatically
cancel the remainder.

--
squire Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho)

Old Mar 13th 2002, 2:05 am
Mrs Blackross

you can also try www.sidestep.com it's a little browser plug-in that looks like IE's
built in search function, but instead of searching files, it lets you search flights.
you give it an airport code, date, and time, round trip or one way, and it searches
all the major airlines for the best prices, then with the results you can go directly
to the airline's websites to book the flights or get more info. Using sidestep was
how I found out I can get a flight from Baltimore MD to Buffalo NY for $30 US one
way...woohoo

"Waiting" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone have any info on one way airline tickets to the US. Any websites/agents
    > anyone can recommend? Sites like travelocity seem to list prices equal or higher
    > than return fares for one way ??
    >
    > Interested in info about good one way fares in general, but any information
    > specifically for Australia (ex sydney) to San Francisco (or
    > LA) would be greatly appreciated
    >
    > Please share how you travelled when the time came for you. Found a cheap one way
    > ticket?, bought a return fare and didnt use 2nd portion?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 13th 2002, 5:35 am
Michael

Mrs Blackross wrote:

> you can also try www.sidestep.com it's a little browser plug-in that looks like
    > IE's built in search function, but instead of searching files, it lets you search
    > flights. you give it an airport code, date, and time, round trip or one way, and it
    > searches all the major airlines for the best prices, then with the results you can
    > go directly to the airline's websites to book the flights or get more info. Using
    > sidestep was how I found out I can get a flight from Baltimore MD to Buffalo NY for
    > $30 US one way...woohoo

Are there any restrictions, a la Priceline, like no changes or no frequent flyer
miles? I have it installed and it was finding some good fares for our trip this
summer, which is hopping from SFO to Cyprus to Amsterdam/Brussels, and back to SFO.

M

Old Mar 13th 2002, 3:05 pm
Michael

I noticed that Sidestep only searches a couple of "suppliers" usually. I generally
see a message like "searched 2 of 3 suppliers". I believe the QIXO site searches more
and doesn't require a popup. I like the Sidestep interface in that I can be searching
from aa.com and get a comparison in the sidestep window to the left. I don't like
that it only works with IE. In any case, rec.travel.air is a much better forum for
air travel questons and rec.travel.marketplace has people that give quotes. One way
tickets internationally are often found with local travel agencies that have access
to consolidator fares not found easily on the web. Do not make the assumption that
there are no discounted one way international economy fares.

Old Mar 13th 2002, 7:32 pm
British in Wisconsin

Jememennie is an unknown quantity at this point

"Please share how you travelled when the time came for you. Found a cheap one way ticket?, bought a return fare and didnt use 2nd portion?"

I bought a return ticket because that was the cheapest deal I found (on expedia.co.uk). I also bought the ticket before my K-1 interview and so thought that if I failed my interview I could use it anyhow.

Having a return ticket, meant that at the airport I was given the wrong I-94 though - the green one, rather than the white one. The ticket guy saw that I had 2 tickets for a month's trip and so presumed that I was travelling on the visa waiver program. So I had to ask him for the correct form.

The return ticket also allowed me to tease my husband that if he wasn't good enough to me I'd be back on the plane to England.

best wishes, Jennie
Old Mar 13th 2002, 10:35 pm
Michael Voight

Jememennie wrote:
    >
    > "Please share how you travelled when the time came for you. Found a cheap one way
    > ticket?, bought a return fare and didnt use 2nd portion?"
    >
    > I bought a return ticket because that was the cheapest deal I found (on
    > expedia.co.uk

I would NOT consider that to be a source for cheap one way tickets

Michael

Old Mar 14th 2002, 4:05 am
Whit

Hey there. I just jumped that hoop.

I learned to call the airlines direct. You can frequently get a better price by going
to that airlines website. But you should call first this time. In fact, call twice.
Because as soon as you ask for a one-way, they won't give you round-trip
information--sometimes, really.

You know, in revent times, the airlines have been charhing more for one-way fares
because they are a??holes. But the consumer has been purchasing round-trip tickets
and cancelling, changing, and no-show'ing. They are shooting themslves in the foot.

Now, and I mean very recently, I am seeing one-way fares that are like 5-10% below
round trip.

You could go Quantus or Continental Mike (via Guam). Get your frequent flyer cards in
advance. Just go to their website or call. Personally, I have had little luck with
www.Expedia.com (once it was good), I like www.lowestfare.com. I also like
www.travelselect.com.

You gotta play around with the dates and times.

Whit

Whit

Old Mar 15th 2002, 3:05 pm
Paul

In article <[email protected]>, Waiting
<[email protected]> writes
    >Anyone have any info on one way airline tickets to the US. Any websites/agents
    >anyone can recommend? Sites like travelocity seem to list prices equal or higher
    >than return fares for one way ??
    >
    >Interested in info about good one way fares in general, but any information
    >specifically for Australia (ex sydney) to San Francisco (or
    >LA) would be greatly appreciated
    >
    >Please share how you travelled when the time came for you. Found a cheap one way
    >ticket?, bought a return fare and didnt use 2nd portion?
    >
I went for the symbolism and said I was getting a one-way ticket because I was never
going to leave Robin
--
paul 58-77 Sheffield 77-79 Coventry 79-88 Sheffield 88-97 Milton Keynes 97-99 London
99-00 Seattle 00-?? Fremont

Old Mar 17th 2002, 1:35 pm
Jeepin Rocks

Have you looked at either of these sites. 4airlines.com flychina.com (not sure if
they do any other countries, my fiance is in China)