Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

One month until I go. A ton of questions!

One month until I go. A ton of questions!

Old Jan 25th 2013, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One month until I go. A ton of questions!

Originally Posted by richbogle84
How does a person get such a certificate from the NHS?
I'm not sure there is a certificate as such. For us a letter from our GPs on headed paper indicating how long we'd been patients there did the trick (names, DOBs, "patient since"), though I did include a website printout from the NHS (or Government?) that explained about UK residents getting NHS care - not sure whether it did any good but better to cover all bases. GP might charge a seemingly random amount for such a letter.

I think others have managed it with copies of their NHS card - or was it NI card? Either way I haven't seen mine for years.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 1:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

How does a person get such a certificate from the NHS?

If I'm planning to move to the states in the summer, and decide to pay Class 2 Contributions for the full 30year term, what are the benefits I should expect to receive on retirement? I appreciate there are likely to be a bunch of cynical answers to this one...!
The first, whatever the US insurance company will want to see, but usually either letter headed letter from either your doctor or local health authority saying you have been resident until such a date and thus have had NHS coverage.

The second, well if you stay in the US and get a US pension, you can also get a full UK pension, unless you head back and make the contributions. It boils down to how close you are to getting the full thing and how old you are. Considering how cheap it is, if you're in your late 30's, it's a no brainer, if you're in your 20's, it might not be worth it.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The first, whatever the US insurance company will want to see, but usually either letter headed letter from either your doctor or local health authority saying you have been resident until such a date and thus have had NHS coverage.

The second, well if you stay in the US and get a US pension, you can also get a full UK pension, unless you head back and make the contributions. It boils down to how close you are to getting the full thing and how old you are. Considering how cheap it is, if you're in your late 30's, it's a no brainer, if you're in your 20's, it might not be worth it.
01. Thanks Bob, I'll have to speak with the local doctor's surgery which I'm registered to, and ask them for a letter of some sort prior to my departure.

02. At the ripe old age of 28, I think it's a question of cost/benefit! Hmm...
Old Jan 28th 2013, 10:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

02. At the ripe old age of 28, I think it's a question of cost/benefit! Hmm...
Yes it is and at your age, it's up to you...who knows what the pensions might be like that far in the future. Saying that, it is still only a couple squid a week I think it is, so it is a bargain and not a big loss if you don't need it, but you're only eligible to start payment within a certain time frame/situation.