Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which one to apply?

Which one to apply?

Old Dec 8th 2005, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of
Default Which one to apply?

Hi Everyone,

I am now in the midst of deciding whether to get an L1 visa or E3 (Australia equivalent to H1). I am a bit confused on what to do.

reI am not sure what are the advantages and disadvantages between the two.

My concern is my children education , with L1, especially for state universities, I might not be eligible to apply for state residency for tuition and fee purposes. Thus, ending up paying foreign students rate which is more than double the amount.
What about public schools for high school and elementary, can my children go in there with L1 dependent visas? or do I need to pay tuition fees?
I know for some private school have the same fees for foreign and local students.
What are the other things I should look out for either visa?
Old Dec 8th 2005, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

abboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud ofabboy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Which one to apply?

Originally Posted by abboy
Hi Everyone,

I am now in the midst of deciding whether to get an L1 visa or E3 (Australia equivalent to H1). I am a bit confused on what to do.

reI am not sure what are the advantages and disadvantages between the two.

My concern is my children education , with L1, especially for state universities, I might not be eligible to apply for state residency for tuition and fee purposes. Thus, ending up paying foreign students rate which is more than double the amount.
What about public schools for high school and elementary, can my children go in there with L1 dependent visas? or do I need to pay tuition fees?
I know for some private school have the same fees for foreign and local students.

What are the other things I should look out for either visa?

Hope someone can share what are the things you can do and cannot do
with L1 and H1 visa.
Thanks in advance
Old Dec 8th 2005, 10:11 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

with L1 and H1 visa.
Thanks in advance
Before someone else tell's you, you need to post this on the visa section.

Your will get more help there.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 10:24 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

And the link is here:-

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Good luck
Old Dec 8th 2005, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
Thanks. I will do that.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 11:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

with L1 and H1 visa.
Thanks in advance
Main difference, spouse can work on L2, whilst spouse couldn't on H4....plus H1B is limited to 6 years plus an extension year...

Either one, get canned from the job, and you have to leave....and there's also a quota cap on the H1B's...which I think is different on the E3
Old Dec 9th 2005, 12:49 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Kids are fully entitled to go to public (state) schools for free on both L1 dependant and H4 visas. No tuition fees. Tuition fees and rules for college vary from college to college, but I think for most you can qualify for in state resident fees once you have lived here for a year.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for the reply.

For college, I called up one state university and they told me that A,E,G,I and K are the only visas that are eligible to apply for state residency.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 12:16 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the reply.

For college, I called up one state university and they told me that A,E,G,I and K are the only visas that are eligible to apply for state residency.
That's certainly not the case for all the state universities we talked to here in Texas. My wife takes courses charged at the state resident rates, and she's here on an H4 visa.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 12:42 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the reply.

Each state makes their own rules regarding residency for college.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the reply.

If you asked the same question at Texas State you would get the same answer because most universities don't realise an L2 exists because its an intercompany visa. My daughter attends Texas State and as long as you can prove you have been resident for a year or longer, you have no problem. If you intend to stay in the States for a gc, then its easier with an L1 visa.