Reload this Page >

Once in the USA: bank information

Once in the USA: bank information

Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

dealradh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Once in the USA: bank information

Hiya,

New here - sorry if this is a totally inane question, but I've got my bulletproof vest on for the inevitable flak! My partner and I have decided we want to take the plunge and go for me moving across to the USA, and while everything's in order for the K-1 (affidavit of support, evidence of relationship and so on) I'm worried about something I've read on the wiki about bank details needed after I move to the USA, for adjustment of status.

Letter From Bank (date accounts were opened, current balance, total amount deposited in the last 12 months)
4-6 months worth bank statements
Employment Letter (stating date started, pay, hours etc, needs to be signed and dated by manager)
4-6 months worth pay slips
tax return transcripts for last 3 years.
Are these mine (UK citizen) or hers (US citizen)? I only ask because I've worked for a non-profit organisation for the past year that's never issued me with pay-slips. I just get a cheque handed to me at the end of each month. As funding has started to dry up, pay has become unreliable, and I recently had a two-month period of no pay. Long story short, I'll be unable to provide them with evidence of regular employment for the past 6 months, because while I haven't been unemployed, it's just been so shoddy and haphazard and done on a "when we can afford it" basis.

I'm prepared for the worst, which is that as someone who's been struggling lately, I won't be able to move over there, but I just want to know one way or the other. Either way, you'll put my mind at rest, since we're in a bit of a panic. <3

Last edited by dealradh; Nov 22nd 2010 at 9:48 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Once in the USA: bank information

Those items are what the USC needs, to go along with the I-864 Affidavit of Support, which goes along with your Adjustment of Status package....after you get married in the USA on your K-1 visa.

Rene
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Just so you know, there is a different affidavit of support (I-134) which goes along with the K-1 visa, where you have to prove you will not become a public charge in the USA. Although similar to the I-864, it's not a binding contrat with the USA government, and is a bit more lenient in its requirements.

Do some research on both the I-134 and the I-864 so you'll understand what's required.

Rene
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

dealradh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just so you know, there is a different affidavit of support (I-134) which goes along with the K-1 visa, where you have to prove you will not become a public charge in the USA. Although similar to the I-864, it's not a binding contrat with the USA government, and is a bit more lenient in its requirements.

Do some research on both the I-134 and the I-864 so you'll understand what's required.

Rene
Thank you so, so much for your help at such a late hour of the day! You've put my mind at rest and I can actually go to bed and not spend all night turning over and over... !

My partner herself has just finished studying and is working part-time at present, so neither of us is exactly on footballer's pay, but we're lucky enough to have fantastic support from both our sets of parents. They're on good incomes, capable of supporting us until we get on our own feet and willing to do so and sign documents saying so. I've also got about £3k in savings from back when work was a bit more reliable!

I'm under no illusions that it's a cakewalk, and I'm probably guilty of simplifying things in my own head in a rush to end the visits and flights and tickets and holidays and 3am Skype sessions (we've all been there), and just be with my life partner forever and live life how it's meant to be lived.

But so many people before us have done it, it isn't insurmountable no matter how much I feel like I'm drowning in paper and legalese, and I'm hoping that the advice here along with my own homework will be able to get us through! Thank you again

Last edited by dealradh; Nov 22nd 2010 at 10:41 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 10:38 pm

You're welcome. Whenever you feel up to it, here's some reading for you guys:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

I-134 and I-864 USCIS pages...links to the forms and instructions for each can be found at the above sites.

Rene
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dealradh
Thank you so, so much for your help at such a late hour of the day!
It's just early evening on the east coast of the US! Most of us are eating supper just now!

Ian