Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

OMG!!! Just settled into Oz - hubby offered job in Salt Lake City!!!!!

OMG!!! Just settled into Oz - hubby offered job in Salt Lake City!!!!!

Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:43 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG!!! Just settled into Oz - hubby offered job in Salt Lake City!!!!!

Originally Posted by Ray
heed my warning ..they will plague
you there ...
Don't I know it............
Old Aug 20th 2008, 1:47 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG!!! Just settled into Oz - hubby offered job in Salt Lake City!!!!!

Originally Posted by Weasy

So, we leave here and arrive in SLC on Thursday 28th so I'll truly be a brit expat in the US of A soon.

Lou
xx
I hope you settle in well in Utah.
There are a few of us from BE who live in the Salt Lake City area.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:00 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
I hope you settle in well in Utah.
There are a few of us from BE who live in the Salt Lake City area.
You could meet up and talk mormon underwear ...
Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:02 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

Originally Posted by Ray
You could meet up and talk mormon underwear ...
I think we could find something better to talk about than that........
Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:10 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
I think we could find something better to talk about than that........
Mormon strip clubs for women ...
Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:12 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

Originally Posted by Ray
Mormon strip clubs for women ...
not where I live......
Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on making the decision.. Its never easy to decide to make a BIG move. Very best of luck with your new adventure! - My sister has lived in SLC (Park City) for 20 years - so if theres any help you need - please ask.. Are you moving to SLC itself?

Well, we decided to do it and I'm FINALLY excited about the move. We've visited, researched and decided that life is too short to not give this a go. If we hate it we have 3 years and 4 months to come back here to Australia but I've a feeling we will love it. I'm very sad to leave the Adelaide Hills but life is what you make it and I came here determined to make it work so will do the same in Salt Lake City.

So, we leave here and arrive in SLC on Thursday 28th so I'll truly be a brit expat in the US of A soon.

And Ray, sorry for being touchy with your first reply to my thread - I get you now

Lou
xx
Old Aug 20th 2008, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we decided to do it and I'm FINALLY excited about the move. We've visited, researched and decided that life is too short to not give this a go. If we hate it we have 3 years and 4 months to come back here to Australia but I've a feeling we will love it. I'm very sad to leave the Adelaide Hills but life is what you make it and I came here determined to make it work so will do the same in Salt Lake City.

And Ray, sorry for being touchy with your first reply to my thread - I get you now

Lou
xx
Hi Weasy,
Congrats on the big desicion, we've just moved here recently too, I've only been in my house for a few weeks though and so far, have no complaints.

We haven't had any LDS knock on the door as yet, but that could be a fib, as I don't hear the door bell ring if I'm downstairs. Our neighbours are a mixture of people, military, civillians and LDS' and they've all been very lovely and welcoming to us, I'm sure you'll find the same.

I'm north of SLC, but not as north as Dolly....we must get together soon for another cuppa

Hope all goes well with your move...keep us updated.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

oldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud of

Well, we decided to do it and I'm FINALLY excited about the move....snip...

I'm so jealous. I'm still looking to move back there myself. My visit at the end of April fueled it even more. I didn't manage to find a job quick enough and had to extend the lease on my current house for another six months. I can't see me making the next ski-season now as I had originally wished.

Someone is trying to tell me something though. I keep seeing SLC on the TV, Utah license plates, recently discovered a ex-colleague moved there, last week discovered another ex-colleage from the same work team as the other is thinking of moving there. It's either a prophecy, or someone is trying to piss me off.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:48 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all of you. Oldskool, your posts really helped out a lot whilst making this decision, I hope you make it back to SLC.

Dolly and Brandon - whereabouts are you? Samba, I'm pushing for Park City but hubby isn't sure about the commute through Parleys canyon. Otherwise we're looking at Cottonwood Heights and all along that far East Bench.

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by Ray
Never a good thing to do ... heed my warning ..they will plague
you there ...
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:56 am
Greatly Missed. RIP

Dolly and Brandon - whereabouts are you? Samba, I'm pushing for Park City but hubby isn't sure about the commute through Parleys canyon. Otherwise we're looking at Cottonwood Heights and all along that far East Bench.

Lou
xx
Most of the canyons can be bad in the winter.
Parleys, Big Cottonwood, Little Cottonwood, and the ones further north near us.
Old May 24th 2009, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Craftymomma is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all of you. Oldskool, your posts really helped out a lot whilst making this decision, I hope you make it back to SLC.

Lou
xx
This discussion has been fascinating, I find myself in a similar position. Hubby offered a job in Salt Lake City, we are currently researching areas and schools etc.

I would be so grateful for advice on schools in particular as the kids are my only concern really!
Old May 25th 2009, 1:30 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, this thread has been bittersweet for me as I knew Dolly personally and now she is no longer with us. I do miss that lady so much. Weasy, and here you are finally settled in. It does take time and an adjustment on the way of life but it is a beautiful place to be. Met her as well so the rest of you understand the comment. I am a resident of Sandy, a 'burb of Salt Lake City. I don't have children in school as mine are grown but can offer any info you need on most other stuff. Are you looking at public or private schools? I know some folk that send their children to an excellent private school but it does have it's price $$$$$$ ! Give me a shout if you have any questions. Pam.

PS. Hubs is from Scotland. Heading back for hols in July.
Old May 25th 2009, 3:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
Hi there, this thread has been bittersweet for me as I knew Dolly personally and now she is no longer with us. I do miss that lady so much.
I felt exactly the same when I saw this thread resurrected earlier.
Old May 25th 2009, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Craftymomma is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
Hi there, this thread has been bittersweet for me as I knew Dolly personally and now she is no longer with us. I do miss that lady so much. Weasy, and here you are finally settled in. It does take time and an adjustment on the way of life but it is a beautiful place to be. Met her as well so the rest of you understand the comment. I am a resident of Sandy, a 'burb of Salt Lake City. I don't have children in school as mine are grown but can offer any info you need on most other stuff. Are you looking at public or private schools? I know some folk that send their children to an excellent private school but it does have it's price $$$$$$ ! Give me a shout if you have any questions. Pam.

PS. Hubs is from Scotland. Heading back for hols in July.
Thanks so much Pam! So sorry to hear about Dolly, I had hoped to get to know her too!
Sandy is one of the places we were recommended to look so I would love to know more about it.
We are keeping an open mind about schools as we have 4 kids but certainly if we can't find an excellent state school then they will go to private schools.
Where in Scotland will you be visiting in July?
Deb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.