Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

OMG I'm old!! [Tax form 2002 question]

OMG I'm old!! [Tax form 2002 question]

Old Jun 27th 2017, 11:05 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute
Default OMG I'm old!! [Tax form 2002 question]

Rather than being older than I thought, it seems a UK occupational pension is payable sooner than I was expecting.

Did I mention I hate filling in forms?

On the first page of Form 2002 to get the pension paid tax free they want:

The location of the Service Center where your latest tax return was filed and the date on which it was filed?

I presume this means my last US tax return? Any idea what to put for service center if it was filed electronically?

Also the page asks for:

Your United States Internal Revenue Service Account Number

What's one of them?

There seem to be plenty of folks on here who have been through this and though loads turn up in the search function it seems no-one has asked these specific questions - which means I'm being thick! Sorry. And thanks.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG I'm old!! [Tax form 2002 question]

Originally Posted by celticgrid;12281783Did I mention I hate filling in forms?
On the first page of Form 2002 to get the pension paid tax free they want:

[COLOR="Red"
The location of the Service Center where your latest tax return was filed and the date on which it was filed?[/COLOR]

I presume this means my last US tax return? Any idea what to put for service center if it was filed electronically?
I no longer have a copy of that Form 2002 - but looking at a copy of notes I made when I filled it out....I'm pretty sure they're asking where/when you made your last UK filing (but could be wrong)

Originally Posted by celticgrid
Also the page asks for:

Your United States Internal Revenue Service Account Number
What's one of them?
That's your SSN
Old Jun 28th 2017, 12:24 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
I no longer have a copy of that Form 2002 - but looking at a copy of notes I made when I filled it out....I'm pretty sure they're asking where/when you made your last UK filing (but could be wrong)
They provide pages and pages of 'helpful' notes and no help. Did I mention I hate forms? As far as I can google, the Inland Revenue does not use the term "Service Center" (or "Centre") otherwise I'd feel more certain.

However, if they do mean the UK then no chance...over 20 years since I left and tax records from then are shredded years ago.

That's your SSN
The field directly underneath asks for your SSN. Got to be something different. Doesn't it. Did I mention I hate forms?

Thanks for the input - I'll await news of what others have done before posting it (and my $85 check) off to the tax gods.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

They provide pages and pages of 'helpful' notes and no help. Did I mention I hate forms? As far as I can google, the Inland Revenue does not use the term "Service Center" (or "Centre") otherwise I'd feel more certain.
However, if they do mean the UK then no chance...over 20 years since I left and tax records from then are shredded years ago.
The field directly underneath asks for your SSN. Got to be something different. Doesn't it. Did I mention I hate forms?
Thanks for the input - I'll await news of what others have done before posting it (and my $85 check) off to the tax gods.
yeah...clear as mud...then a muddle if you mess up

Call them in the morning if you're unsure. That's absolutely what I'd do...and from the notes I just unearthed...it looks like I DID call them with my questions before I sent mine off. Although i no longer have a copy of my filled in form - I do have a copy of a 2 page letter I sent with it, which laid out my own personal situation. Everything went very smoothly, by the way.

If you do have a SSN, then THAT is what they want. The other field is for an alternative entry - e.g. an ITIN number which tax-payers who don't have a social security number use when they file.
So it's one OR the other - NOT both
At least I think that's the case ?¿?¿... )

I just took a look at the form 2002 online. The "Notes" contain no "notes" re:
Part A - which is where your confusion is.
Again....call them in the morning if no one chimes in here before then....
Old Jun 28th 2017, 10:12 am
Wondering if...

So, I gave them (HM Revenue & Customs) a call.

No idea. Very helpful, very friendly, but clueless. They were referring to the helpful completion notes as a first step, then they realized, as stated above, that the notes contain no help at all for Section A.

Suggestion was to repeat the SSN into the IRS account number field and to provide details for the last US tax return. And just put 'electronic filing' as the address.

There's no rush so I'll wait a few days then do it that way if no-one chips in with any other advice.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

No idea. Very helpful, very friendly, but clueless. They were referring to the helpful completion notes as a first step, then they realized, as stated above, that the notes contain no help at all for Section A.

Suggestion was to repeat the SSN into the IRS account number field and to provide details for the last US tax return. And just put 'electronic filing' as the address.

There's no rush so I'll wait a few days then do it that way if no-one chips in with any other advice.
Bummer
ok....I just looked at the form again online.
...I think what they suggested when you called is actually correct (well, it should be, shouldn't it? )...

...put your SSN in both fields and "filed electronically" in the other...or if you used Turbo Tax etc. perhaps put - "filed electronically through Turbo Tax".

I was mistaken when i suggested before that they were asking where your UK taxes were filed. (When I filled out that form a few years ago - they DID ask that).

Remember - this form 2002 goes to the IRS (before being sent on to HMRC)...so it makes sense for PART A to have the info the IRS would need to confirm that you are paying US taxes (and, therefore, shouldn't be double taxed)...

Good luck

Last edited by MMcD; Jun 28th 2017 at 4:07 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:34 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Why is this Form 2002 needed? When I started receiving a UK final salary pension, they at first took out UK tax. Then the Inland Revenue refunded all that I'd paid, and the pension has been paid tax free ever since. I pay tax on it to the IRS on my 1040, but I've never given the IRS any details of the pension and they've never asked.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:37 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

That's exactly what I did last year and it appeared to cause no problems.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:52 pm
Wondering if...

I think what they suggested when you called is actually correct (well, it should be, shouldn't it? )
It certainly makes some sense. I truly do hate forms - it is almost a phobia - so get well pi55ed off when they are so badly put together.

Thanks for your input. Double entry for the SSN and details of an electronic submission earlier this year is the way to go.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:53 pm
Wondering if...

Originally Posted by malch
That's exactly what I did last year and it appeared to cause no problems.
Thanks for the input. That's the way I'm going.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Why is this Form 2002 needed? When I started receiving a UK final salary pension, they at first took out UK tax. Then the Inland Revenue refunded all that I'd paid, and the pension has been paid tax free ever since. I pay tax on it to the IRS on my 1040, but I've never given the IRS any details of the pension and they've never asked.
When this happened to me 10 years ago HMRC told me I needed to file 2002 to get proof that I was indeed paying US taxes.

Looking at the copy of that form 2002 I submitted in 2007, I put in my SSN for both fields and for the address of the service centre I wrote in that I had e-filed and the date that the e-filing was accepted by the IRS.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Joys of getting old , all this form filling.