British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Olympic Games 2012: LONDON (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/olympic-games-2012-london-312414/)

Lothianlad Jul 6th 2005 12:45 pm

Olympic Games 2012: LONDON

Olympic Games 2012 will be held in LONDON

:)

Rete Jul 6th 2005 12:47 pm

Re: Olympic Games 2012: LONDON

Originally Posted by Lothianlad

Here's the link to CNN's report on the subject:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SPORT/07/06/...ics/index.html

Manc Jul 6th 2005 12:48 pm

The way I see it we've got 6 or 7 years to get good enough at something to chance our arm - so what's everyone going for?

I fancy Archery, you only have to stand about a bit and it looks easy enough to hit the big target thing, Fire a couple of arrows off and Bob's your uncle, gold medal on the mantlepiece thank you very much. :D

britchicknyc Jul 6th 2005 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
The way I see it we've got 6 or 7 years to get good enough at something to chance our arm - so what's everyone going for?

I fancy Archery, you only have to stand about a bit and it looks easy enough to hit the big target thing, Fire a couple of arrows off and Bob's your uncle, gold medal on the mantlepiece thank you very much. :D

Brilliant news!

I think fencing must be pretty easy.

I always dreamed of Olympic glory when I was a little girl! I thought back then I could compete in swimming!

Manc Jul 6th 2005 12:53 pm

More than one event in Archery, I believe there are 50m, 75m and Agincourt categories. Nothing better than sidling up to Sir Steve Redgrave and saying, but you only got them one at a time didn't you mate? ;-)

Pigtails Jul 6th 2005 12:54 pm

I don't know if I'm more happy to see London win or to see France lose!! :D

sibsie Jul 6th 2005 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pigtails
I don't know if I'm more happy to see London win or to see France lose!! :D

Always gives me a lift to see us hammering the surrendering froggy bastards at something!

TaffyinOK Jul 6th 2005 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Manc

Talking of arrows .... when, oh when, are they going to make Darts an Olympic event? You KNOW we'd knock the socks off every nation in the world at Darts! :D

Manc Jul 6th 2005 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by TaffyinOK
Talking of arrows .... when, oh when, are they going to make Darts an Olympic event? You KNOW we'd knock the socks off every nation in the world at Darts! :D

I think being in London, and the narrow east end streets, that Kerby should be at least a demonstration sport.

I'd be dead good at that

Elvira Jul 6th 2005 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Lothianlad

WOW - that's great news! I am so pleased!

ELVIRA
Londoner, Exile, currently re-charging her batteris in...

(you guessed it....)

LONDON!!! :D

It's the greatest city in the world, and I am just soooooooooo happy to be back! :) :beer: :)

ImHere Jul 6th 2005 1:20 pm

Im entering the freestyle 100m fast food eating and the mens 1500m having a nap events..I reckon I can take a double gold no problem.

Yorkieabroad Jul 6th 2005 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by sibsie
Always gives me a lift to see us hammering the surrendering froggy bastards at something!

ah, don't be like that...poor old jaquie boys not having a good time.....no-one at home likes him, he lost his referendum, he got caught slagging off his mates in public and now this. Poor wee lamb :D Would love to be a fly on the wall at the G8........!!!

The only downside is its likely to put a smile back on the face of the grinning git, cos lets face it, for a newly elected PM he's not been smiling much lately either!

Now we ned to see the govt follow thru on their committment and get it organized properly! Any idea who the minister for Olympics is going to be?

Yosser Jul 6th 2005 1:26 pm

Just flicked the news on, when they annouced London had won, must admit it almost bought a tear to the eye, watching everyone in front of the big screen going mental......Congrats Blighty :)

Webbie Jul 6th 2005 1:38 pm

Hello ?

Is this the right thread to start the "Should we enter a GB football team" debate ?

http://www.scottberkun.com/images/40-1.jpg

;)

doctor scrumpy Jul 6th 2005 2:27 pm

About time we won the right to stage the Olympics. In 1908 & 1948 we stepped in to bail them out after the original hosts cried off.