Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Old SSN still valid?

Old SSN still valid?

Old May 8th 2016, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

michaeldc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Old SSN still valid?

Hi again, still doing research but again can't find good answers to my specific query so wondered if anyone had any knowledge of the following...

I'll need an SSN as soon as possible when I arrive in California but I just remembered that in 2002 when I was on a J-1 visa I actually got a social security number. I didn't need it because I didn't end up working (just lived off savings and had fun!) but I definitely had one, got the card and everything.

Unfortunately in the intervening 14 years, I can't find it anymore. I used to have all my documents in a file but I guess it got trashed at some point.

My question is, is it still valid and if so, would the office in the US be able to find me in the system and reissue it? Obviously I don't know the number and I don't have my old passport anymore so unsure how to go about it. The only thing I know is that I lived on the corner of Poplar and Pacific in Wildwood NJ but I just went on google maps and the house I was in has been demolished so not even sure if I can get the exact address :/
Old May 8th 2016, 5:37 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old SSN still valid?

A social security number is yours for life.
Old May 8th 2016, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Well that seems like a good thing, not having to wait to get one and not having to wait to take my drivers test because of it but... somehow I'd be surprised if it wasn't lost in the system or something. As I have no proof of it anymore, is there anything I can do? Perhaps contact the SSN office in NJ and ask for their help?
Old May 8th 2016, 7:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It's yours for life, even if you lose the actual card forever. Try looking on www.ssa.gov to see how to replace a card if you forgot the number. It might be that you have to go in person with ID and proof of legal status in the USA.

Rene
Old May 8th 2016, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michaeldc
Well that seems like a good thing, not having to wait to get one and not having to wait to take my drivers test because of it but... somehow I'd be surprised if it wasn't lost in the system or something. As I have no proof of it anymore, is there anything I can do? Perhaps contact the SSN office in NJ and ask for their help?

When I went to the social security office with my family, we were all issued cards straight away. My family had never had cards, but in my case when I mentioned that I had had a card over 30 years before when I had a J-1 visa, she asked me for the number, which I gave her, and she said that it's a good thing that you have the number otherwise..it would have involved more work..we would have had to find it..or something to that effect. This was some years ago, and of course your situation may be different from mine.
Old May 8th 2016, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Asg123, no it sounds like I have a very similar situation to you but without having the number so they're not going to like me and I bet it takes ages...
Old May 8th 2016, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michaeldc
Hi Asg123, no it sounds like I have a very similar situation to you but without having the number so they're not going to like me and I bet it takes ages...
Everything seems to come up on the computer quickly nowadays so it could be a quick process.

By the way I can't remember in my case if they issued me a new card in the office or if they sent me a replacement card by mail. But I kept my number and there were no problems.

I had worked and the income shows on my social security record, but as you didn't work there will be no earnings under that number, so I suggest you might ask ask them if in this situation you could disregard the old number and apply for a new one (if locating the old number is a lengthy process).
Old May 9th 2016, 12:31 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Asg123
Everything seems to come up on the computer quickly nowadays so it could be a quick process.

By the way I can't remember in my case if they issued me a new card in the office or if they sent me a replacement card by mail. But I kept my number and there were no problems.

I had worked and the income shows on my social security record, but as you didn't work there will be no earnings under that number, so I suggest you might ask ask them if in this situation you could disregard the old number and apply for a new one (if locating the old number is a lengthy process).
The OP's SSN is his for life -- he can't pretend that it doesn't exist.
Old May 9th 2016, 12:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't ask for a new number.

Rene
Old May 9th 2016, 12:53 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Don't ask for a new number.

Rene
Yeah, that would pretty much wreck the credit history from the get go. 😂
Old May 9th 2016, 1:29 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

How it works:

You get your SSN, it's always your SSN forever and you need it forever because you might be eligible for Social Security even if you don't live in the US anymore (not likely if you were J-1).

But - your employment eligibility has to be kept up-to-date if you change status or become an LPR, you do that by filing SS-5 at an SSA office.

Where it becomes more interesting is if you need proof of your SSN but you've lost the card and you're not eligible to get a replacement card (i.e. you're no longer in status). There are various situations where this can happen when you're dealing with financial institutions and the IRS.

To get proof, you have to file this form with an SSA office: https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-3288.pdf

And then hopefully, and I do mean hopefully, they will send it to whoever you've stated on the form...

Where it is a real PITA is say you're a visitor to the US but you want to open a US bank account, you have to put your SSN down on the W-8BEN but you haven't got the card and can't remember what it is.

Last edited by Steve_; May 9th 2016 at 1:31 am.
Old May 9th 2016, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys.

Steve, thank you for the lengthy response, I had a look at that form but it states that having your SSN is a requirement of the form so I can't even fill that in.

I guess going to an SSN office with my visa, passport and my I-84 and asking them to search for me is my only option unless anyone has an other ideas?
Old May 9th 2016, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

ubernathan is an unknown quantity at this point

I too had an old SSN from a J-1 visa back in the 80's. When arriving this time round on an L1, they retrieved the old SSN for me when I went down to the Social admin immediately upon arriving on the L1 (with the documentation you mention).

ETA: I had lost my old card and they've provided a new one without any quibble.
Old May 9th 2016, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Well that's very promising Nathan, thank you for that. Hopefully it won't matter that it's from a different state. I'm presuming everything is computerised and available on a national level.

Quick question, did they give you a card there and then or did it have to be 'processed'? Did you have to wait long? I'll need to get to the DMV (...) pretty quickly when I arrive so I'm hoping the SSN thing won't take too long to sort out!
Old May 9th 2016, 5:02 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

There's a list of the documents you'll need to take with you here - https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.