Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Old news.. Elvira's back

Old news.. Elvira's back

Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:02 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Old news.. Elvira's back

Okay, it's taken me a while, but here's my promised update:

I went to London and did lots of things.

- I went to Paris and met up with DH for 3 days - we are ships passing in the night, plenty of nookie, lots of lovely food, hours spent walking through Paris in the July heat, and I got to go to the Louvre not once but twice!

- I then spent the next few weeks in London refurbishing our ancient ancestral pile (which was looking decidedly down-at-heel after years of being rented out to various tenants). When I say refurbish I am referring to a hands-on approach: supervising 2 teams of professional decorators (one English/Irish + one Polish) plus personally painting 3 bedrooms + 3 bathrooms with my own fair hands. Not to mention touching up the work of the professionals and sorting out a myriad of repair jobs and carpeting.

- I also organised the refurbishment and furnishing of a completely derelict flat we recently bought, which involved keeping my Bulgarian builder happy , battling with Peter Jones, Curry's and Argos etc, and much else.

- Dealing with Letting Agents I'll spare you the details.

- I said goodbye to son # 2 who was returning to the US and his controlling girlfriend , and welcomed son # 1 who has given up on his Green Card and hopes to either work or go to college in the UK. Luckily, son # 3 is comparatively sane and, after having a whale of a time at the World Cup is now working his but off at the local Safeway to pay for the next World Cup.

- I saw 2 operas, 4 concerts and 3 plays, went to the National Gallery twice and the Tate Modern once. I'm afraid I fell asleep during The Seagull, despite Juliet Stevenson's sterling performance. I was just toooooooooooo tired...

- I managed to catch up with most but not all of my friends. That was the best part by a loooooooooooooooong way.

And now I'm back and feeling rather lost. The sad fact is that, in the 5 years I've been here, I have not managed to *connect* with a single person in any meaningful way. In fact, I have had more meaningful discussions with old ladies at bus-stops in London, and people here at BE, then I have had here. I don't know what it is, whether it is me or them, but I'll always feel out of place here.

Somebody cheer me up - PLEASE!!!

Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:20 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old news.. Elvira's back

Originally Posted by Elvira

- I went to Paris and met up with DH for 3 days - we are ships passing in the night, plenty of nookie, lots of lovely food, hours spent walking through Paris in the July heat, and I got to go to the Louvre not once but twice!

- I then spent the next few weeks in London refurbishing our ancient ancestral pile (which was looking decidedly down-at-heel after years of being rented out to various tenants). When I say refurbish I am referring to a hands-on approach: supervising 2 teams of professional decorators (one English/Irish + one Polish) plus personally painting 3 bedrooms + 3 bathrooms with my own fair hands. Not to mention touching up the work of the professionals and sorting out a myriad of repair jobs and carpeting.

- I also organised the refurbishment and furnishing of a completely derelict flat we recently bought, which involved keeping my Bulgarian builder happy , battling with Peter Jones, Curry's and Argos etc, and much else.

- I said goodbye to son # 2 who was returning to the US and his controlling girlfriend , and welcomed son # 1 who has given up on his Green Card and hopes to either work or go to college in the UK. Luckily, son # 3 is comparatively sane and, after having a whale of a time at the World Cup is now working his but off at the local Safeway to pay for the next World Cup.

- I saw 2 operas, 4 concerts and 3 plays, went to the National Gallery twice and the Tate Modern once. I'm afraid I fell asleep during The Seagull, despite Juliet Stevenson's sterling performance. I was just toooooooooooo tired...

- I managed to catch up with most but not all of my friends. That was the best part by a loooooooooooooooong way.

And now I'm back and feeling rather lost. The sad fact is that, in the 5 years I've been here, I have not managed to *connect* with a single person in any meaningful way. In fact, I have had more meaningful discussions with old ladies at bus-stops in London, and people here at BE, then I have had here. I don't know what it is, whether it is me or them, but I'll always feel out of place here.

We love you Elvira!

You should come to our next meet up!

PS - I sent you a nice shot of Karma too! Welcome back & cheer up!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:24 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
We love you Elvira!

You should come to our next meet up!

PS - I sent you a nice shot of Karma too! Welcome back & cheer up!
Maybe if you put on an opera at the meetup she might come along, based on the daily BE events.
welcome back elvira
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Elvira, this last bit said it all for me. Enjoyed reading your news though, and it's great to see you back on here stiff upper lip Girl, karma on it's way.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:33 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back Elvira. It must be hard getting back into the swing of things here again. Hang in there and you'll back to the old routine in no time.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:35 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Maybe if you put on an opera at the meetup she might come along, based on the daily BE events.
welcome back elvira
Believe me, no one wants to hear me sing! Arrggghhhh!!!!! :scared:
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:38 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
........Hang in there and you'll back to the old routine in no time.
Thanks for all the good wishes, special messages and karma I've received in the past few days

Getting back to the old routine, though, is what I do not want as it's bound to drive me insane. I need to get off my butt and get my business up and running. The problem is that, with 3 (!!!) lads off to college (the assorted paperwork is enough to drive anyone nuts!), three properties to run, AND being the chief domestic dogsbody, as well as being responsible for everything to do with finance, I just don't know how to fit it all in...
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:39 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

welcome back darlin!! Sounds like you had a great time. If it makes you feel any better, at least you aren't going through my anatomy and physiology hell (don't think i will be around too much for the next 16 wks )
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:41 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
welcome back darlin!! Sounds like you had a great time. If it makes you feel any better, at least you aren't going through my anatomy and physiology hell (don't think i will be around too much for the next 16 wks )
16 weeks? At least it's not 9 months...
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Geeze Elvira....can't sing a song to save myself, but I can give you a big ole lick! Sounds like the best part of the trip was in Paris with hubby and the knooky. Well that would have been the best part for me.

Welcome back!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:51 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

16 weeks? At least it's not 9 months...
Lol, in other news, i am helping to set up an international club/organization at my school. Lots of fun!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 6:54 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Geeze Elvira....can't sing a song to save myself, but I can give you a big ole lick!
You dirty, dirty girl!!! I am utterly disgusted. Consider yourself due for a good old sp4nking!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 7:01 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You dirty, dirty girl!!! I am utterly disgusted. Consider yourself due for a good old sp4nking!

Can I watch?
Old Aug 25th 2006, 7:03 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Can I watch?

Sure darling!

And you know what'll happen next...
Old Aug 25th 2006, 7:41 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Old news.. Elvira's back

=Elvira

Welcome back!

I've been here for six years and I'm in the same boat. I think it's because our children didn't go to nursery and elementary schools here and didn't get into that 'parenting' network...

I've yet to make an American friend - I've tried and it's all so superficial and unless they think you are going to be of some use to them (eg. making charity donations or attending their Mary Kay cosmetic parties) they're not interested....thank goodness I do have one v. good friend and she's an Aussie.

Not much advice from me...but as all the Adult schools are starting their classes up for the Autumn I think I'll take a couple of classes...there is a 'Jazzercise' class I'm interested in, so even if I don't make any friends there at least I might get fit whilst doing it! (Unfortunately most people tend to go in pairs to these things and tend to stay in their little inclusive clique) Perhaps you could take an evening or weekend class?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.